My First Praying Mantis Class

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I passed! Woohoo! Was nervous as hell but made it. heh. Got my sash and certificate yesterday. :asian:
Now I get to learn new stuff. :D

Hey, Pam, that's great---well done!! Now on to the next phase, eh? :)

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you! :)

Yep...learning new stuff is da bomb! :D

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you! :)

Yep...learning new stuff is da bomb! :D

Just out of curiosity... what is the rank system in the Praying Mantis system like? I have the impression that it's quite different from that in the karate-based MAs [?]

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... what is the rank system in the Praying Mantis system like? I have the impression that it's quite different from that in the karate-based MAs [?]

We actually start with a black cord and have to test for white sash, which is new to me. We really have to have the basics down solid, in addition to knowing the history, and being able to demonstrate applications (vs. performing a technique.) It's challenging and I love it. It motivates me.

I'll try to remember the ranking correctly, next there is advanced white, then yellow/advanced, green/advanced, blue/advanced, red/advanced, black.

Which is actually very similar to my previous style which was a different kung fu system. That ranking went: white, yellow, green, blue, brown, and black. Red was for Sifu's, and we started with a white sash, first test was for yellow. It took me 2 years to reach green.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We actually start with a black cord and have to test for white sash, which is new to me. We really have to have the basics down solid, in addition to knowing the history, and being able to demonstrate applications (vs. performing a technique.) It's challenging and I love it. It motivates me.

That sounds like my idea of a really good curriculum. You struck gold there, Pam.

I'll try to remember the ranking correctly, next there is advanced white, then yellow/advanced, green/advanced, blue/advanced, brown/advanced, red/advanced, black.

OK, not so different then. It was the advancement to white that threw me. You get so ingrained in the white = total novice coding of rank.

Which is actually very similar to my previous style which was a different kung fu system. That ranking went: white, yellow, green, blue, brown, and black. Red was for Sifu's, and we started with a white sash, first test was for yellow. It took me 2 years to reach green.

Very similar to my TKD dojang system... but they clearly were in no rush to get their students up the ladder. Good for them!

Anyway, I think it's really outstanding both that you've already begun the advancement process in your new school and that the school seems to have such a good, complete take on the curriculum.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That sounds like my idea of a really good curriculum. You struck gold there, Pam.

OK, not so different then. It was the advancement to white that threw me. You get so ingrained in the white = total novice coding of rank.

Very similar to my TKD dojang system... but they clearly were in no rush to get their students up the ladder. Good for them!

Anyway, I think it's really outstanding both that you've already begun the advancement process in your new school and that the school seems to have such a good, complete take on the curriculum.

Thanks. I feel like I've struck gold too. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks. I feel like I've struck gold too. :)

That is so awesome Jade!! Finding the right school is a precious thing indeed.

And congrats on your sash!!!! YAY!!! :boing2:

Latest Discussions