Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Heh, I'm glad you like it.

I'll be seeing Riley on Sunday at the services for my sister, Ill be sure to ask him how you are doin.

LOL.

Yeah, yeah, you were right. :p

Be sure to pass along the feedback k?

7starmantis said:
HAH!! I eat chi balls for breakfast!! Or maybe that was cheesy poofs...not quite sure.
I like the crunchy chi balls.

mantis said:
we had a tiger hooks seminar night. I couldnt go though. I have to go to chi sau this morning and learn it from whoever is there to review it. I hear it's a lot of difficult maneuvers and transitions.
but man, when i saw this weapon i was like who the heck invented that, he must be a genius!
Bummer you couldn't make it to the seminar. Once you start learning the weapon you must post a video for us.

Not only a genius weapon inventor, but c'mon, how cool is that! :supcool:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Yeah, yeah, you were right. :p

Be sure to pass along the feedback k?

He didnt have anything bad to say.

You better come to the Pig Roast on Saturday!

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
He didnt have anything bad to say.

You better come to the Pig Roast on Saturday!

Well that's good to know! lol

I plan on being there. Looking forward to it. :)

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
So how did you're second and possibly third Mantis class(es) go?
Class has been fantastic. All my classes are the same so far because I'm learning the basics, getting things into muscle memory by repetition after repetition.

Doing alot of stance, rooting, and strength training. I was already in good shape and my arms and shoulders are building up even more. I hope I don't get too bulky! I am always eager for class and practice as much as I can at home. I also have to study the history for testing so I am trying to learn that too. Sifu gave me the info I need to know. Now I just have to get it into *brain memory* lol.

Thanks for asking. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Class has been fantastic. All my classes are the same so far because I'm learning the basics, getting things into muscle memory by repetition after repetition.

Doing alot of stance, rooting, and strength training. I was already in good shape and my arms and shoulders are building up even more. I hope I don't get too bulky! I am always eager for class and practice as much as I can at home. I also have to study the history for testing so I am trying to learn that too. Sifu gave me the info I need to know. Now I just have to get it into *brain memory* lol.

Cool

I am glad to hear it is going well.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:

so when u starting to learn and eventually tape for us some forms?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feel free to use this thread as a place to practice posting history and such you are having to learn. Would be interesting to read.

7sm

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okie Doke..here goes.

In the mid 1700's of the Qing Dynasty in Kwong Sai province in southern China, a Shaolin monk named Som Dot became fascinated with the praying mantis in the bamboo forest called Jook Lum. Skilled in the Kung Fu styles of other monasteries, Som adopted the deadly grace of the insect and thus began Kwong Sai Jook Lum (Southern Praying Mantis).

In the 1800's, a monastic Zen Buddhist monk named Lee Siem See, from the Kwong Sai province Jook Lum Temple, and disciple under Som Dot and a Taoist monk named Huang, both added the essence of Wundang internal skill to Som Dot's system, which later became known as Mui Far (plum flower) Tong Long, by the Hakka. Lee Siem See carried this syle to South China, Canton province, where he called it Som Dot Jook Lum Temple Praying Mantis Kung Fu. He also took a youth named Chung Yel Jung, from the Wai Yung province of south China, back to the Jook Lum Temple to be trained.

In 1890, Chung Yel Jung opened a medicine shop and a Kung Fu school, called Kwong Sai Jook Lum Temple Tong Long Pai, in his native Hakka province of Wai Yung where it was said he taught the art of Shaolin Som Dot and his teacher was Lee Siem See. The school of Chung Yel Jung soon got the attention and popularity from the Hakka people of Wai Yung for it's powerful and deadly Kung Fu. A second school was to open in Hong Kong in the early part of the 1900's and the deadly Jook Lum Mantis Boxing was taught by his student, Wong Yook Kong. This art was then restricted to only the Hakka people of China and was still referred to as Hakka Kuen.

In the 1920's the old monk, Lee Siem See came down to Hong Kong to oversee the rebuilding of the Jook Lum Temple. During the temple building, the monk took one of Chung Yel Jung's youngest students, named Lum Wing Fei (ordained Lum Sang), to help rebuild the temple. Lee Siem See took on Lum Sang as his companion and furthered his training in the art. Lum Sang did not reutrn to Chung Yel Jung until seven years later.

In the 1930's, a third school of Kwong Sai Jook Lum was opened in Kwonloon. This school was taught by Sifu Lum Sang at the age of 26. He soon gained the nickname "Little Monkey" because of his stature and the deadly abilities of his fighting skill.

During the Chinese-Japanese War in the 1930's, the extrememly old monk Lee Siem See had some down to Hong Kong again, this time to unite his students, Chung Yel Jung and Lum Sang. Lee Siem See knew Hong Kong would not be a safe place if World War II broke out. So, he ordered Lum Sang to take the responsibility of Som Dot's Kung Fu system, and the property deed of the Jook Lum Temple, and instructed him to run overseas.

Soon Hong Kong was occupied by the Japanese, and Chung Yel Jung and his top student, Wong Yook Kong, were ordered back to their native Wai Yung province to fight in the Japanese War. Lee Siem See headed to the peninsula of Macao, and Lum Sang's faith carried him to Liverpool, England, where he began to teach this system of Kung Fu to the Hakka people.

With WWII in motion, the Germans bombed England and Sifu Lum Sang sought refuge for his life aboard a ship, only to be bombed in high seas and then rescued by an American warship. Months later, this warship needed some repairs and docked in Virginia, where Sifu Lum Sang was deported. Later he became a citizen of the United States. Subsequently, Sifu Lum Sang resided in New York City, Chinatown.

In 1942, Sifu Lum Sang taught his Kung Fu in Chinatown's Hakka Chinese Association. In his later years, before retiring in 1968 from teaching, he taught in the New York City Chinese Free Mason Association.

There are still only a handful of Lum Sang's disciples throughout the world teaching this traditional art of self-defense Kung Fu to the general public. With a history of about 300 plus years, Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai has been a carefully guarded system of traditions and secrecy.

However, within that 300 plus years, additional branches have immerged from the original Jook Lum system. These branches are Chu Gar, and Chow Gar.

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jade Tigress, I also am studying Kwong Sai Jook Lum Ji Nam Tong Long Pai here in NYC. Brace yourself-you are in for one hell of a ride. I have been studying MA for over thirty years and this system is kicking my butt, both physically and mentally, but it is the best training I have ever had.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Jade Tigress, I also am studying Kwong Sai Jook Lum Ji Nam Tong Long Pai here in NYC. Brace yourself-you are in for one hell of a ride. I have been studying MA for over thirty years and this system is kicking my butt, both physically and mentally, but it is the best training I have ever had.

Cool! Man, it really does kick your butt too. In the past, if I have been a little under the weather, I still managed to get through training. I'd just take it a bit easy is all. Well, Monday I woke up and was feeling really tired all day, just not up to par, but I went to class as usual. Well, I could barely get through the warm-up. It is always brutal but this time my whole body was shaking from the exertion. I ended up leaving an hour into training. It is definitely the most intense thing I've done both physically and mentally.

How long have you been training this style? Tell about your training so far, and welcome to Martial Talk! :)

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ive been in it for almost two years, working on Sam Bo Gin,two-man form, and drills, drills, drills. Getting the "Mantis Body" is key. SBG teaches the body, the power, and the breath. Learning the breathing was at times almost like drowning, until my body adjusted. Getting the power out took more mental than physical work. Getting up at 4am to do my form was probably the easiest part.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive been in it for almost two years, working on Sam Bo Gin,two-man form, and drills, drills, drills. Getting the "Mantis Body" is key. SBG teaches the body, the power, and the breath. Learning the breathing was at times almost like drowning, until my body adjusted. Getting the power out took more mental than physical work. Getting up at 4am to do my form was probably the easiest part.

Man, I can't wait to get to the 2 man forms and drills. Right now I am learning basics, basics, basics. It will pay off for sure. I am an impatient thing though! lol

Does your school have a website? Who is your Sifu?

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My Sifu does not teach openly, and maintains his privacy.He only teaches about five people. He studied for 40 years under one of Lam Wing-Fei's disciples, still does-and even trained with the old man himself.
Jook Lum is a very small world, and some of these guys simply don't want to get involved in the politics, so they stay out of the limelight. But they're out there.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Sifu does not teach openly, and maintains his privacy.He only teaches about five people. He studied for 40 years under one of Lam Wing-Fei's disciples, still does-and even trained with the old man himself.
Jook Lum is a very small world, and some of these guys simply don't want to get involved in the politics, so they stay out of the limelight. But they're out there.

I understand. Glad you are one of the lucky few. :asian:

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Testing Saturday for my white sash. Wish me luck!

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck on your test. I'm sure you'll do great.
I'm glad that you've found a school that you can be happy in - it makes all the difference in the world. I'm also very glad that your son is doing so well. That puts a big smile on my face.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck on your test. I'm sure you'll do great.
I'm glad that you've found a school that you can be happy in - it makes all the difference in the world. I'm also very glad that your son is doing so well. That puts a big smile on my face.

Thank you Yeti. I certainly have been very fortunate in my training. :asian:

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I passed! Woohoo! Was nervous as hell but made it. heh. Got my sash and certificate yesterday. :asian:
Now I get to learn new stuff. :D

Latest Discussions