My First Praying Mantis Class

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I am on cloud nine. Went to my first southern praying mantis class last night. It was soooo awesome. It felt soooo good to train again. It is quite a bit different than the Sil Lum I had been training. The stances were similar, just small tweaks I had to make. First we stretched and did some warm-up exercises. The push-ups kicked my butt...push-ups have always been the hardest exercise for me...and oh man they do some major push-up exercises. It's gonna take me quite a while to get those done properly me thinks. And my arms are already quite developed.

Next we did some stance training, and what was cool was that afterward the stances were combined into a form. Then I worked on some "walking" and then some sticky hand drills, but they don't call it sticky hands, I can't remember the term they use. Then we did another drill, again, can't remember the terms yet, but it was a rooting drill. I thought I might be sore this morning but I'm fine, just a feeling a little bit in the shoulders.

Class was an hour and half long, and even though the kwoon was air-conditioned, I was absolutely dripping sweat. I loved it. So I signed up before leaving. Next class is tomorrow. I can't wait! Woohoo! I am so pumped I'm still on an adreneline high this morning. Yipee!!!!

Special thanks to John for turning me on to the school (Riley says hi) and to Adam for the stance reassurance. :asian:

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hehe.. Congratulations your back and I'm glad you liked it.

I remember when I was 14 and went to my first ever Kung Fu school/class. At Yee's Hung Ga, I was so excited that I would go everyday since it was unlimited class. :ultracool

I can't wait to get things straight and start training somewhere this time for good.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Northern Preying Mantis has some great stuff. I find it very hard to deal with when I spar such a person, personally! Good luck.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent, sounds like you had fun!! :)

Take it you opted against doing that Wing Chun class in the end?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats!! Also, its Southern not Northern correct?

Sounds like a good class...actually sounds alot liek some of ours! I'm so excited for you, glad you found something you enjoy! Keep us up to date.

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, Southern! I missed that. Fascinating stuff, and I wish I had some direct experience with it. One-knuckle punches and dragon back, right?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Congratulations, glad to hear you training again.

One of the best fighters I ever had the honor to spar was a Mantis guy. I got beat real bad, but he an absolutely amazing fighter.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Take it you opted against doing that Wing Chun class in the end?
Yes. The Southern Praying Mantis suits me very well. Exactly the kind of training I was hoping to find. I feel very blessed, after a long search, to have this available so close to home.

Also, its Southern not Northern correct?
Yes, Southern.

Jade Tigress said:
I thought I might be sore this morning but I'm fine, just a feeling a little bit in the shoulders.
Ummmm....I spoke too soon. As the day wore on I got so sore. I'm still very sore this morning and have class again tonight. And I was in shape going in too. Man. It kicked my butt. I love it. I must have some masochist in me or something....

I soooo can't wait for class tonight! :D

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Second class was as awesome as the first. I am soooo hooked already. When Sifu was demonstrating some applications he moved very much like my Sifu in Sil Lum. There are some similarities though different terminology used, yet at the same time they are very different.

Now I'm up for a long weekend til class on Monday. Isn't that crazy? It's all I can think about.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JAde, I now exactly how you feel! I'm like that about my training and its been years!! I just get more nad more excited and fascinated by it as time goes by.

I'm so very happy for you that you found something you liek this much and is such a great fit for you. Now you and I will have to do some fighting to see the differences in northern vs southern! :)

7sm

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
JAde, I now exactly how you feel! I'm like that about my training and its been years!! I just get more nad more excited and fascinated by it as time goes by.

I'm so very happy for you that you found something you liek this much and is such a great fit for you. Now you and I will have to do some fighting to see the differences in northern vs southern! :)

7sm

That would be awesome but I"m gonna need a little time to catch up in training to you. No doubt I will kick your butt when the time comes. :p

Yeah, I am really happy too. This is a perfect fit for me. It's really all I can think about. All I want to do is practice and train. And I have work that needs to be done! lol...So, when I can't practice or train, I think about it.

Xue Sheng said:
Now that I know it is Southern Mantis I can say the guy I referred to previously was a Southern Mantis guy.

And I am glad you like it.

Cool Beans! (and like is an understatement...lol) Thank you. :)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
good to hear we got more peoples in CMA and mantis specificially
maybe we get more respect now in the MMA section haha (jk)

im glad you're trying mantis
im very interested to know the difference between our mantis and yours. I will wait a couple of months until you start to get the hang of it and we'll talk again :)
keep up the hard work!

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
good to hear we got more peoples in CMA and mantis specificially
maybe we get more respect now in the MMA section haha (jk)

im glad you're trying mantis
im very interested to know the difference between our mantis and yours. I will wait a couple of months until you start to get the hang of it and we'll talk again :)
keep up the hard work!

Cool. Thanks. I take it you are studying Northern Mantis like Adam? How long have you been training? I would be interested in the differences too. I'll keep you posted as I learn more. It should make for an interesting discussion. :asian: