My first martial arts experience

D

DJDragon

I have loved the martial arts for a long time. I taught myself many moves from watching movies and more recently from learing on the internet. But today I undertook in my first Tae Kwon Do lesson.

I think it was fissure who said before that my thoughts of WTF TKD as less formal were a tad wrong. He was right. I'm already pretty good at kicks but those drills really taught me that my basic kicks were unrefined. Here is the rundown of what we did.

Warming up is tough! We only have a small room and we run up and down it after our stretches. I was dripping with sweat. I was impressed that the warmup was very efficient, I usually spend a longer time stretching but todays experience showed me that wasn't completly necessary.

We learnt 4 kicks, and others are just variations. The front kick, sidekick, roundhouse and jumping front kick (which I suck at without shoes on).

We did alot of focus pad and heavy duty bag work. I was also pleased to see that the teacher understood how kicks don't have to be so technical in a real fight or while sparring.

One thing I wanted to disagree with him about was the fact he at first encouraged a side on stance while sparring. Less body to aim at he says - true, but I think it leaves your back free and your attack options are more limited. However, while "non-contact" sparring he really encouraged a front on stance, which I found extremely effective. He kicked me in the forehead once too!

We also went through the entire white belt form, which I stuffed up alot but got better towards the end. Our grading will be in September. (once every three months)

Overall it was a very fun experience. Our class is very small and today only consisted of myself and two other friends.

OP
D

Danny

One thing I wanted to disagree with him about was the fact he at first encouraged a side on stance while sparring. Less body to aim at he says - true, but I think it leaves your back free and your attack options are more limited.

You've been there one day, who are you to disagree with anything? In any case you can't do anything full facing. You've got front kick, axe kick, and punchs which your not even aloud to do to the head in WTF. Plus it's harder to move laterally. Half facing you can do any kick, punch, or spinning technic. Giving you many more options and making you a much more effective fighter.

OP
K

Kirk

MANY MANY effective arts don't do the stance that you revel. And
MANY feel that it does in fact limit your weapons. Attacking
someone (regardless of your intentions) that's new to the martial
arts is NOT a great way to keep them interested. Bear a good
witness!

OP
F

fissure

What your instructor says about the horse riding stance is true, but it does make rear leg forntal kicks (round, side, front,axe and push) travel a long way.Conversely your rear leg turning attacks (back, hook, spinning side) have a shorter distance to cover. You will probably find this kind of strategic trade off in MANY situations.
Make sure that in addition to kicking training there is also alot of time spent on hand tech. and practical self defence.It is important to be trained as a well rounded martial artist, this includes at least basic grappling, takedowns,leg kicking, foot sweeps and such.Alot of TKD dojang are far to concered with WTF sparring than teaching MA.Try to ascertain what the main focus is at your school - look to the advanced classes, are they still only doing paddle work and kicking drills or do you see some of the other things I have mentioned. Good luck:asian:

OP
S

sweeper

well if you are doing sparring with WTF rules side on stance liimits the targets alot wial giving you maximum range with your kicks.

(and no I don't practice TKD this is mostly from talking to freinds that do)

OP
F

fist of fury

Also make sure your instructor teaches you how fight and not just spar(martial art tag).

OP
D

DJDragon

Originally posted by fist of fury

Also make sure your instructor teaches you how fight and not just spar(martial art tag).
Well he was gonna teach us some self defence but we only had 10 minutes left. Anyway, I've got quite a bit of knowledge on street fighting. Hopefully he knows about realistic fight situations and lets us spar with low kicks, face punches etc. But I doubt it. I guess I'll have to do that in my own time.

And Danny, I do see your point now. I guess the side on stance can be more effective for TKD style sparring/competition.

OP
F

fissure

Well he was gonna teach us some self defence but we only had 10 minutes left
That this aspect of training was seemingly an after thought doesn't bode well.

OP
D

DJDragon

Originally posted by fissure

That this aspect of training was seemingly an after thought doesn't bode well.
Well in his defence we were all new to the club (myself and my friend's first lesson, other friend's second lesson). I think in that session he was just trying to make it more fun so we would stay there for a time.

In my other friend's first lesson he taught some self defence techniques, but that class had some senior members in it.

My friend (with the 2 lesson exp.) tried this anti hands round throat grab technique to a friend and it wouldn't work! Well, i don't expect that much from WTF Tae Kwon Do.

Like I said before, I'm in it for the flexability, fitness and fun of competition and fancy kicks (which I hope we become involved with soon)

OP
F

fissure

My friend (with the 2 lesson exp.) tried this anti hands round throat grab technique to a friend and it wouldn't work!
It usually takes repetative practice to learn the correct movement.Often novices can't make reversals, take downs ,ect. 'work', because they don't have the concept of using different parts of their own body work together.Also specific angles of 'weakness' are used against a grabbing type attack.It takes time to get a good feel for these.
I know you say you intend to train for the more "vouge" aspects of TKD, but IF you are offered complete martial art training why not take advantage of it?

OP
D

DJDragon

Originally posted by fissure

I know you say you intend to train for the more "vouge" aspects of TKD, but IF you are offered complete martial art training why not take advantage of it?
I know it sounds stupid, but I don't want to be labeled as a typical TKD, Muay Thai etc fighter. It's mainly cos what I have learned, I've learned by myself. Sure I've read alot of aspects of fighting but never been taught. I guess I want to be known as a self taught person.

I'll continue with TKD though. 1st month free, then I'll decide if its really for me.

Latest Discussions