My first day...

PolarDoc

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow, this was hard. Is it normal to get tired after 25 pushups, 5 slow laps around the dojo, 25 more pushups, 5 sprinting laps around the dojo, climbing on a rope, transferring to the monkey bars and back to another rope, rolls, cartwheels, 5 laps around the dojo, trying to hold someone down while they trashed around to escape, getting held while I trashed around trying to escape(by the way, it was a 13-year-old girl, and she still gave me a hard time),and leapfrogging?

Because it seems the 7-year-olds were doing fine(I'm 15)...

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
its perfectly normal. It seems like that was a lot of work.

I think you are the second youngest person on here and the closet to ym age. yay! I know that was totally random.

bot. You get used to it after a while. Keep up the hard work!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it normal to get tired after 25 pushups, 5 slow laps around the dojo, 25 more pushups, 5 sprinting laps around the dojo, climbing on a rope, transferring to the monkey bars and back to another rope, rolls, cartwheels, 5 laps around the dojo, trying to hold someone down while they trashed around to escape, getting held while I trashed around trying to escape(by the way, it was a 13-year-old girl, and she still gave me a hard time),and leapfrogging?

Yes its normal to be tired after all that, especially if you have not or have never done that kind of training...It's an unusual work out..What discipline are you studying???

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Totally normal. Keep at it and you'll be doing it with the same amount of ease. :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Totally normal. Keep at it and you'll be doing it with the same amount of ease

yep normal if you are not used to doing those things

by the way welcome to the forum

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yes...it is *definitely* normal to get winded after all of that activity, especially if you're not used to doing that many pushups in one sitting. Sounded like this one Krav Maga class I took, which totally kicked my tail after just thirty minutes.

And don't worry; your body will eventually get used to this type of workout. :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even if you're in shape, when you change to a different kind of workout, you're going to feel it.

Welcome to the forum! :wavey: Come back and tell us how the second class goes.

Fionn McCool

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wow, this was hard. Is it normal to get tired after 25 pushups, 5 slow laps around the dojo, 25 more pushups, 5 sprinting laps around the dojo, climbing on a rope, transferring to the monkey bars and back to another rope, rolls, cartwheels, 5 laps around the dojo, trying to hold someone down while they trashed around to escape, getting held while I trashed around trying to escape(by the way, it was a 13-year-old girl, and she still gave me a hard time),and leapfrogging?

What techniques did you learn?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Wait until you get "up there" in years and you're still studying...It doesn't get a whole lot easier...LOL

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wait until you get "up there" in years and you're still studying...It doesn't get a whole lot easier...LOL

You got that right!!!

Oh!, to be 15 again.........

I started when I was 30 and seriously out of shape. It will get easier as your body gets used to it.

351C

White Belt
Reaction score
Oh to be 15 or even 30! I’m about 8 lessons in and I’m 43. Something new hurts after every class. Don't give up and give it your best, it will get easier as you begin to get in shape. I’m still out of shape and straining to keep up during the warm up but I have already improved quite a bit since the first lesson. If I can do it at 43, you can certainly do it at 15! Don’t worry about how you may compare to others, especially starting off. If you can keep it fun and enjoyable you will be much more likely to stick with it. I wish I would have started years ago! Good Luck!

OP
P

PolarDoc

White Belt
Reaction score
My school does three disciplines: Karate, Judo, and Miyama-Ryu Jiujitsu. I signed up for Jiujitsu, so I could take Judo and Karate whenever I wanted(heehee, lucky me)

My first class I attended was Judo, and all I learned was how to do rolls.

Today, I actually went to Karate and Jiujitsu, so you can imagine how tired I was. I found out I had an unusually high snap-kick. I also got some of Kata One down, but it's tricky.

Then I went to Jiujitsu. There, I learned a bunch of throws I can't even name. Stuff like how to counter a straight punch, hook punch, that kind of thing.
It was hard getting the moves down, especially when the dojo was full of 30- and-up military guys... It was embarrassing when I got it wrong like 90 times, got the footwork right, and got the rotation wrong like 90 more times... I still enjoyed it, though.

Did I mention the huge headache I got from being used as a dummy?

Jamie

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my 2nd post so hi to everyone if they didn't read my first. That sounds like quite an odd lesson you had there. When I did Karate it was more down to the combat and little bit of stamina training in the end. Ah well, every class is different!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep, totally normal. It will get easier. Welcome to martial arts.:mst:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My school does three disciplines: Karate, Judo, and Miyama-Ryu Jiujitsu. I signed up for Jiujitsu, so I could take Judo and Karate whenever I wanted(heehee, lucky me)

My first class I attended was Judo, and all I learned was how to do rolls.

Today, I actually went to Karate and Jiujitsu, so you can imagine how tired I was. I found out I had an unusually high snap-kick. I also got some of Kata One down, but it's tricky.

Then I went to Jiujitsu. There, I learned a bunch of throws I can't even name. Stuff like how to counter a straight punch, hook punch, that kind of thing.
It was hard getting the moves down, especially when the dojo was full of 30- and-up military guys... It was embarrassing when I got it wrong like 90 times, got the footwork right, and got the rotation wrong like 90 more times... I still enjoyed it, though.

Did I mention the huge headache I got from being used as a dummy?

And now you know why your judo class started with how to fall without getting hurt...

Let me offer you a suggestion. You're running in three different directions right now, and it'll be hard to get anywhere in any of them. I'd encourage you for a while to focus on just one of the options. Then, when you've got a decent handle on it -- try something else. You'll probably get better and faster results.

Latest Discussions