My debut fight

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, here is a link to my first fight.It was at Master Merhdad's Muay Thai classic.Check it out and tell me what you think!!

Last edited by a moderator:

oddball

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ahhh - exciting, is loading on youtube right now, just have to wait.
You're blue corner/orange shorts, right

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A couple comments first:
The camera person should use a tripod to stop the shakiness of the video
Less shots of the guy at ringside butt and a closer view of the fight

I take it that knees and elbows where not allowed as I saw more than a few instances where the behind the neck hook with knees to the body or face could have been used.

Not a bad fight plenty of action and spirited fighting. Only wish the camera angle could have been a little better but most of what I saw looked good especially for your first fight

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
A couple comments first:
The camera person should use a tripod to stop the shakiness of the video
Less shots of the guy at ringside butt and a closer view of the fight
I'll second that! Had a hard time seeing the fight... get stationed w/ a clear view and a bit of a zoom...

I take it that knees and elbows where not allowed as I saw more than a few instances where the behind the neck hook with knees to the body or face could have been used.
looks like it... the ref seemed to break them up alot, more like a boxing match in that regards.

Not a bad fight plenty of action and spirited fighting. Only wish the camera angle could have been a little better but most of what I saw looked good especially for your first fight

yeah, quite good :) Thanks for sharing!

OP
Slihn

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry about the camera shot we brought a 20 dollar camera and my wife tried to record all while watching and cheering. Yeah, they did allow knees.:( There where alot of cases where I could have used them.Also the rep kept breaking us up because I kept grabing the back of his neck and also that had this really wieard rule that if you caught someone's kick youcould only strike once then let it go.Every time I caught his leg or grabed his neck they stoped it.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll bet your wife cheering you on is music to your ears. To my ears, well, I had to mute the video. ;)

I pretty much agree with the other statements made.

I don't understand the problem with the grabbing the back of the neck. I thought one of the basics of Muay Thai was working the clinch?

Thank you for sharing.

OP
Slihn

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'll bet your wife cheering you on is music to your ears. To my ears, well, I had to mute the video. ;)

I pretty much agree with the other statements made.

I don't understand the problem with the grabbing the back of the neck. I thought one of the basics of Muay Thai was working the clinch?

Thank you for sharing.

The clinch is a BIG part of Muay Thai , but I think that they tried to make the fightes compliment both Muay Thai fighters(by allowing the low kick) and conventional kickboxers (by not allowing knees, clinching or elbows).

Its kinda blows though, because every single time he lowered his head,I wanted to grab and throw the knee.Also there where ALOT of times where a knee would have been a good counter.Never the less, it was a good experience.I guess I have to start learning to use the uppercut more!

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
One thing I've learned is never to let my wife do the videoing at my fights! You always get a shakey picture with lots of screaming.:)
First fights are usually an awakenning experience. There are lots of lessons that can only be learned by experience in the ring.
Good on you.

OP
Slihn

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
lol! Yeah I figured there would be alot of shaking,but I love her. I had another one of my buddies taped all of the fights plus the warm ups. I cant wait to get the video from him as well.

Man! I learned so much from watching the video by watching, I think that I should have been far more aggressive with the low and med level kicks, also I should have followed up more with my attacks and used the jab(I think think I even used it once). At any rate it was a great experience, you really learn the importance of good conditioning training once you step in the ring.Before the fight I was thinking," 3 2min rounds?!What I joke!!" but once I stepped in there all of the adrenaline made each round seem like an eternality.Every thing was moving so slow!!When the reff told us the rules I remember thinking"Man! We've been up here for a really long time!"

Well of to start training for the next bout!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned so much from watching the video by watching

thats the great thing about videos you can see what might have happened and what someone could have done. They are a great review and useing them as an aid to training is always benificial if you look at the whole picture not just what you did correctly

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, here is a link to my first fight.It was at Master Merhdad's Muay Thai classic.Check it out and tell me what you think!!

what ones you bro?

Last edited by a moderator:

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
lol i figured that out!lol

well done man you did great especially for you first fight!

I like how you kept traping his leg everytime he kicked...good stuff.

only one tip calm down with your punches you threw to many haymakers, set them up first, but then everyones first fight is always very scrappy!

again WELL DONE!