music downloading

G

Galvatron

Here's my take on the subject in general...
Someone said something to the effect that bands make too much money anyway, and it's not hurting them.
Only bands in the upper echelon of popularity actually enjoy the "rolling in dough" aspect of rockstardom.
Most signed bands make between $1.50-$1.75 per unit sold.
The bulk of the money goes to the record label. File swapping hurts primarily 'underground' bands.
I have experienced first hand what free-sharing of music does to an underground band. When I first become involved with the band I currently play for, we all made a relatively decent amount of money from our CD sales and touring, occassionally one of us might have to take a side job to make ends meet during down times. Since file sharing became a mainstream aspect of life for so many people our CD sales have dropped to a mere fraction of what they used to be. I could make more money working at McDonalds than I do off of the band at this point. What little money that comes from CD sales usually goes right back to the label to pay them for the advance they gave us to pay for the studio time to record said album. As such we are forced to tour to the point of burnout to generate any income.
It's not long before motivation to work on new albums is lost, with no promise of new music the fans lose interest, without fan interest there's low turnout at shows, with low turnout promotors stop booking you because they don't want to lose money on you.
So at this point you have to work a full time job like everyone else, which leaves minimal if any time to work on new music when those rare occasions of motivation hit you...and try explaining to a job that you need 2 months off of work to go tour.
I know too many bands first hand that have simply called it quits because their careers were ruined by file sharing.
I think a viable solution lies somewhere between creating the technology to make CD duplication more difficult to do, and lowering the price of CD's to a level that buying one actually seems appealing. I'll be the first one to admit that the price of a CD is outrageous, especially when you take into consideration how little the artist actually gets.
With infallible ability to prevent duplication, the labels would once again be able to command any price they wanted to for CD's (which is what they want).
With technology that just made it hard, but not impossible to do, combined with lower CD prices (im thinking 10 bucks and under) the general populace would probably be inclined to go buy albums again rather than just download it. The free element will always be there, but when it's easier to just plunk down a 10-spot and have it, I think bands in the underground genre will be able to sustain themselves again.
In closing, the CD sales that you deprive an artist of when you download something for free (that you havent already bought) is their livelihood. I'm sure nearly all of you would quit your jobs in a heartbeat if they stopped paying you.
Sure, it's probably not going to hurt the likes of Metallica or Puff Daddy much, but there are more bands in the underground that depend on royalites to pay the rent, and put gas in the car than there are Eddie Van Halens, who's grandchildren's grandchildren will never have to work a day in their lives...

:soapbox:

E

Elfan

Galvatron, could you clarify what you mean by "underground?" I would hypothesize that really unknown bands *may* benefit from music pirating (any publicity is good), super bands (U2, Britney) aren't really effected (loosing one million in sales doesn't matter as much when you make millions a year), but its the guys in the middle who are hurt (they are well known enough that the "free" publicity doesn't help and their sales die). I was wondering how this jived with your experience.

G

Galvatron

I classify "Underground" bands as bands that are signed to small and/or independent labels and have minimal if any airplay on radio, who's albums typically move between 5,000 and 75,000 units per release, and who's existence is generally unknown to the mainstream listening world.
These are not bands that typically gain anything from having their music pirated.

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree the key may be to lower prices to acceptable levels. I think a ton of people feel justified in taking music, because they feel like Robin Hood. I know I would pay $10 or less for a full album even if I could download it for free, so that I could have a little piece of mind. This way I don't have to worry about the RIAA gestapo and I'm still getting some money to the industry and artists. I don't think you'll ever be able to come up with technology to stop duplication, because there will always be someone ready to beat it.

E

Elfan

Originally posted by Galvatron
I classify "Underground" bands as bands that are signed to small and/or independent labels and have minimal if any airplay on radio, who's albums typically move between 5,000 and 75,000 units per release, and who's existence is generally unknown to the mainstream listening world.
These are not bands that typically gain anything from having their music pirated.

Thanks for the clarification!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yet another solution:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031027/ap_on_hi_te/file_swapping_alternative_2

a system they've built that lets MIT students listen for free to 3,500 CDs over the school's cable television network. They say it's completely kosher under copyright law.

The students will share the software with other schools, who they say could operate their own networks for just a few thousand dollars per year. They call that a small price to pay for heading off lawsuits like those the recording industry filed against hundreds of alleged illegal file-swappers.

Here's the catch: The system is operated over the Internet but the music is pumped through MIT's cable television network. That makes it an analog transmission, as opposed to a digital one

Latest Discussions