Musashi swords

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Right now, a decorarive piece with practical utility, just to learn some iaido

If you are intending to purchase a sword to practice iai on your own (presumably from videos and books?), then you would be better served by an iai-to, an unedged sword made specifically for iaido. I am not recommending self teaching or video learning of iaido, so if that is not what you are looking to do, then disregard my comment.

If you are intending to learn iaido, then you will want to find a sensei and ask him or her what they want you to use. Most likely, it will be a bokken. Whatever it is that they direct you to use is what you want to use.

Also, regardless of the route you take, decorative pieces are generally not a good choice for iai. The Musashi sword that I described in my last post would be a very poor choice in my opinion for a variety of reasons.

and do some light cutting.

Manny
Light cutting of what? And who is instructing you in how to cut correctly?

This looks like a fine blade. But if you are cutting and have never received instruction, you could seriously damage the blade, and I am talking about cutting mats.

If you are talking about cutting odd stuff in your back yard, I highly recommend that you do not.

Daniel

Latest Discussions