Muay Thai Training Camps in Thailand, recommendations and thoughts

jamesm

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi there, im from London and have dabbeled in a few martial arts judo, aikido, and am currently doing aiki-jujitsu, of which i am a beginner on all.

Since taking up aiki jujitsu recently though ive really got into the whole martial arts thing, after browsing around i saw these Muay Thai traing camps and though I HAVE TO DO THIS. It is the perfect opportunity as i will be leaving uni and before i start a career i can take time to go to a camp full time.

I have never done muay thai before, but going to a camp to do say 6mth intensive training seems hard work but im guessing one would develop the skills very quickly is this true?

Lastly I wanted recommedations of any camps i have read posts about Fairtex but it seems a little bit mainstream and was wondering whether some of the smaller camps might be better? There seems to be lots in Phuket and they all seem good some even offer MMA as well as Muay thai thoughts on that as well please.

thanks

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My instructor goes to Fairtex often and speaks highly of them. Fairtex has a great reputation and they produce quality fighters too. I've heard that Galaxy Gym is good. Tiger Muay Thai camp and Rawai Muay Thai are good but most of the ones in Phuket are geared towards the tourist but the training is still good. The World Muay Thai Council has a camp in Koh Samoi. If I had the amount of time you mentioned, I would check into the Muay Chaiya Foundation camp under Kru Preang. You won't be disappointed.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I recommend Sasiprapa in Bangkok. When I go to Thailand, I want to also visit Por.Pramuk. I'm curious to how good the camp its, away from Buakaw. Also, it depends on if you are planning on fighting while you are in Thailand. Training in Thailand, is alot different from training to fight in Thailand. Just my opinion. :asian:

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Thunder Foot, where is Por. Pramuk gym located? I am interested in this gym as well.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Por Pramuk is about 2hrs East of Bangkok, and about 30mins past Chachengsao. If you want to think about training there, they have a few packaged deals where you can stay at the camp. Personally, I think it'll cost just as much to stay near Bangkok and commute to Por Pramuk, but I don't know for sure. Anyway, if you'd like more info, check out

http://www.muaythaiporpramuk.com/

Shark

White Belt
Reaction score
The training at Pramuk is good but its a long way from anything, i believe a pig farm is the closest attraction so might be good to visit but not stay for a long time.
Sasiprapa is a good camp always has some highly ranked fighters, the food if you stay at the camp is great (its crap at many camps) and Mr Thakoon the manager speaks perfect English.
Kaewsamrit also has an English speaking manager and very good training.
Lukbanyai and Petchyindee brilliant if you can speak some Thai.
If you want out of Bangkok, Ole Laursen (K1 Max) has Legacy Gym in Ubon its a fair hike from Bangkok but good training, fresh air and a MMA programme as well.
If you want to go North Chiang Mai has Chay-yai Gym the training is very good and also have a guy from Brazilian Top Team teaching BJJ. The air is good in Chiang Mai and its much cheaper for food accomodation etc than the South. www.muaythaicamps.com (its where i am now)
On the Islands J Prapa is a small gym in Phuket, the training is good and one of their fighters just beat Anuwat Kaewsamrit (superstar). If you go to Samui check out Pinyo Gym at Lamai Beach easily the best gym on the Island.
good luck :)

muaythaitechniques

White Belt
Reaction score
I've done the Fairtex Gym in Pattaya twice and the training was excellent. The accomodations are very modern and they have a great fitness center. The only thing is Pattaya is meant for old, fat, Europeans that want to hook up with teenage girs/boys. If you can look past that, the training is world class.

Joe

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Any of the mentioned gyms in this discussion would offer some excellent training.

Jutt-

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Gyms open over Christmas?

At the minute getting a month plus holiday from work is difficult.

I can only get 3 weeks off in December , to tie-in with the Christmas peroid.

Thanks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fairtex camp in Bangkok is the one to go to not the one in Pattaya which as was said is for tourists, our fighters go across reguarly as does our instructor. Fairtex Bangkok is excellent for training, my instructor Mick wrote some articles about it for the Fighters Only magazine. If you want to mail him for info go onto our website www.shotaikai.co.uk or his numbers on there if you want a chat.You'll find him very helpful!

..n..

White Belt
Reaction score
Being that I’m a few months off of level one in the TBA system, and may be going to Thailand in the next year for business, I was considering looking for a place where I could train half the day and do some tourist crap the other half- going to temples etc… no girlyboy sexy time stuff. Any recommendations for fat 30 year olds that run less than 10 miles a week?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being that I’m a few months off of level one in the TBA system, and may be going to Thailand in the next year for business, I was considering looking for a place where I could train half the day and do some tourist crap the other half- going to temples etc… no girlyboy sexy time stuff. Any recommendations for fat 30 year olds that run less than 10 miles a week?

Fairtex Bangkok

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries, they take me, a 50+ female seriously so you will be more than fine. As I said before contact my instructor for more details, he also knows where you can go watch MT fights free or cheaper than tourist rates plus things to avoid and things to see. He also goes to Bangkok Fight Club, knows the guys there.

Khannie

White Belt
Reaction score
That one has definite;y caught my eye , when looking.

Anyone been here?

Just a bit of a bump on this one. I'd be interested in getting feedback on this camp.

On fairtex: I've never heard a good word about them (compared to more traditional camps) before now. What I have heard is that they are aimed at making westerners feel good about themselves instead of training them to fight properly. My trainer spent 3 weeks training in Thailand. He intended spending 1 week at Fairtex, but left it after 2 days.

edit: For clarity....I have no doubt that you'd get a good workout at any of the fairtex gyms, but I also have no doubt that you'll be better able to fight (as a westerner) if you train elsewhere. For confirmation of this, you need only look at the "human weapon" show which featured it.

NakMuayThai

White Belt
Reaction score
Tiger Muay Thai and MMA is the premiere camp foreigners in Thailand.
Outstanding instructors with multiple Lumpinee and Rajadamnoen Champions and complete MMA Program with UFC style cage and Champion MMA / BJJ Instructor. Serious camp for serious fighters.
www.tigermuaythai.com

NakMuayThai

White Belt
Reaction score
Tiger Muay thai and MMA Training camp, Phuket, Thailand. Outstanding trainers list. Organized and scheduled training. As cheap as camps in North Thailand and great location in Phuket.
Has International Fight Team and maintains 3:1 ratio of students to trainers.
See www.tigermuaythai.com or contact [email protected].

Serious training for serious fighters. Multiple Lumpinee and Raja Champions as well as boxing champions.

Great reviews in National Mags and MuayThailand.com