Muay Thai... the BEST?

Julian Figiel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it safe to say that Muay Thai is the most effective stand-up art out there? I am talking realistic and practical self defense and street fighting. I am just curious of peoples opinions.
Thanks!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it's not.

Muay Thai is a very effective kickboxing system for sport. It can be used on the street. But there's no magic ultimate system.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to say that Muay Thai is the most effective stand-up art out there? I am talking realistic and practical self defense and street fighting. I am just curious of peoples opinions.
Thanks!

No, it's not safe to say that.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks!

It's a very effective art, but so are many others. I doubt there is one single art which is 'most effective'. One might say that it is the most effective art for them, at a given time, in a given circumstance.

On MT, we tend not to get into wars over what is the 'best' MA out there.

By the way, you might want to introduce yourself over the new members section so that people can get to know you. Welcome to MT.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks!

Not at all, it's a sport. It's like assuming a champion skeet shooter would be a great soldier because he can shoot well.

There is a huge gulf between practical self defense and sport. Does MT deal with multiple attackers, armed attackers, ambushes, less than adequate circumstances(darkness, icy ground, wet ground, etc), does it end in slashings, stabbings, shootings and sometimes even death? No.

MT is designed for one on one where you and your opponent know you are going to fight months in advance and prepare for it (an attacker hardly ever lets you know ahead), in a perfectly lit situation where you can see your attacker, where you both are aware of the rules and the ref will protect you if the rules are not adhered to.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Told you it wasn't safe :) Ah! is that a can of worms I see before me?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Told you it wasn't safe :) Ah! is that a can of worms I see before me?

I knew my copy of Pink Floyd The Wall was around here somewhere ;)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks!

absolutely yes, it is the best, no question about it.

OK, now that THAT'S settled...

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It may or may not be the best for YOU. Another MA may be better for somebody else with a different body type and psychology.

OP
J

Julian Figiel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I see!
All these replies have really opened my eyes up. I am just so confused which martial art to do. I am a member of a great mma dojo, where they teach Muay thai and bjj, but I do not know if i should do one or the other or both or some form of wushu...
I just really want to find out what I should train.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see!
All these replies have really opened my eyes up. I am just so confused which martial art to do. I am a member of a great mma dojo, where they teach Muay thai and bjj, but I do not know if i should do one or the other or both or some form of wushu...

I think you need to first find an instructor that you think you would like to train under and then study. If you are enjoying what you practice then you may have a chance to stick with it. Which is a lot more important than merely training for six months or so and then hanging everything up for good. So look around, sample several schools by at least training in one of their classes and pick which one you think you would enjoy the most and then train!
icon6.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see!

My dear sir, why didn't you say so?

1. What are you wanting to train for?
2. what are you looking to get out of your training?

If you are training BJJ and MT you are training martial arts already, do you mean you want to do another as well as or instead of?

So where are you training now? MMA is more than BJJ and MT, much more and is rarely trained in a dojo tbh, semantics maybe, but gives an indication of what the owner/chief instructor has in mind. Do you have fighters in this dojo, are you training to fight MMA?

I have more questions but will wait till you answer :)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny the assumptions made about Muay Thai in the past few years huh?

Someone once said that my karate was lame and I should do MT. I pointed out the limitations of MT and the same person suggested I do BJJ. So it seems to replace karate I would have to learn 2 styles, neither of which really address real world situations though they certainly can be applied.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see!
You're going at things backwards. You're trying to find and an end result from what you already have.

What's your goal? Competing in MMA events? In that case, you need balanced training across stand up (Muay Thai/Kickboxing/etc), throwing (judo, etc.), and grappling/wrestling (BJJ/various Western wrestling/etc.). Are you looking for quickly acquired, practical self defense? An experience of an Eastern culture? Family fun and fitness? Something that you can train in from young adulthood to old age? Different arts answer these needs differently. And there's plenty of overlap between them, too.

OP
J

Julian Figiel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My dear sir, why didn't you say so?

1. What are you wanting to train for?
2. what are you looking to get out of your training?

If you are training BJJ and MT you are training martial arts already, do you mean you want to do another as well as or instead of?

So where are you training now? MMA is more than BJJ and MT, much more and is rarely trained in a dojo tbh, semantics maybe, but gives an indication of what the owner/chief instructor has in mind. Do you have fighters in this dojo, are you training to fight MMA?

I have more questions but will wait till you answer :)

Your right, I did not give enough information!

I want a martial art for self defense and possibly even competition, an art with no weapons, just hand to hand combat. I like the idea of Muay Thai, because it is very 'deadly' and 'brutal', and seems to be effective, but there are so many other styles out there (especially Chinese)! BJJ is great too, and from what I have seen from UFC and similar, it is a very important art to know. I LOVE them both!
I do both Muay Thai and BJJ, but I question which one I should do more, if any. If there is something better out there, I will drop muay thai and BJJ, and go for it!

OP
J

Julian Figiel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You're going at things backwards. You're trying to find and an end result from what you already have.

What's your goal? Competing in MMA events? In that case, you need balanced training across stand up (Muay Thai/Kickboxing/etc), throwing (judo, etc.), and grappling/wrestling (BJJ/various Western wrestling/etc.). Are you looking for quickly acquired, practical self defense? An experience of an Eastern culture? Family fun and fitness? Something that you can train in from young adulthood to old age? Different arts answer these needs differently. And there's plenty of overlap between them, too.

That's true, I did not make my goal clear. I want a practical self defense art, with no weaponry; and I love eastern culture. I would also like to compete - not necessarily in MMA, but in competitions, like a BJJ or Muay Thai Match, that kind of thing! I simply love fighting!

I am 16 years old, and am willing to train hard and go far!

OP
J

Julian Figiel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Funny the assumptions made about Muay Thai in the past few years huh?

Someone once said that my karate was lame and I should do MT. I pointed out the limitations of MT and the same person suggested I do BJJ. So it seems to replace karate I would have to learn 2 styles, neither of which really address real world situations though they certainly can be applied.

That is strange! What are the limitations of Muay Thai? And are Kenpo and Karate the same thing? Thanks!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true, I did not make my goal clear. I want a practical self defense art, with no weaponry; and I love eastern culture. I would also like to compete - not necessarily in MMA, but in competitions, like a BJJ or Muay Thai Match, that kind of thing! I simply love fighting!

I am 16 years old, and am willing to train hard and go far!

Where are you located, can help with clubs etc only in the UK. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks!

NO, there is no art that is 100%. Its the person, not the art.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see!

How about doing what I suggested to you the other day.....figure out what YOU want out of YOUR training, find a list of schools in your area that meet those needs, check out the schools, and when you find one that meets your needs, train there.

Of course, I also said to take things slow, and not bite off more than you can chew. In other words, dont take on 5 arts at once.