Muay Thai sparring partner goes Kung Fu

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes because there is more than one type of punch.
Straight punch and circular punch do not use the same power generation.
Circular punch and vertical backfist do not use the same power generation.
I also think Jab and Straight punch use different power generation as well.

So, some clarity here.
Kung Wang was speaking of horse stance and straight punch, but what came to my mind was the vertical back fist in Sei Ping. But now I'm focusing on the Straight Punch that Kung Fu wang is talking about it.

So, In Jow Ga we teach Jab + Step together. That's the technique most people have difficulty with. But a lot of the CMA strikes ue the step + punch at the same time even if it's not a jab.
We have drills where we step into a horse stance and block, strike, or block and strike simultaneously. Is this similar to what you are describing?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We have drills where we step into a horse stance and block, strike, or block and strike simultaneously. Is this similar to what you are describing?
I'm not sure if your step is similar to how you would step to place your behind someone and make them trip then yes. If it's a straight forward step then no.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if your step is similar to how you would step to place your behind someone and make them trip then yes. If it's a straight forward step then no.
I've been trying to find a video of the application so that the movement makes sense when done in the form.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a step 45 degrees to the right or left in reaction to an opponent stepping straight toward you and punching.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The hand should coordinate with the foot. When your hand is moving, but your foot is not, you just violate the 6-harmony principle.

- hand coordinate with foot.
- elbow coordinate with knee.
- shoulder coordinate with hip.

When you freeze your low body and only punch with your arm, your hand, elbow, shoulder have nothing to coordinate with. All MA guidelines are thrown out of window.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a video of the application so that the move ment
It’s a step 45 degrees to the right or left in reaction to an opponent stepping straight toward you and punching.
Stand in horse. Bring right leg to left leg and move your right leg forward then make a half circle to the right. Then repeat with left.

The half circle is the motion that is used to step behind your opponent's leg.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The hand should coordinate with the foot. When your hand is moving, but your foot is not, you just violate the 6-harmony principle.

When you freeze your low body and only punch with your arm, your hand, elbow, shoulder have nothing to coordinate with. All MA guidelines are thrown out of window.
This is the rule for application development but not skill development.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Here's why. Skill development ment could be something like watching fight videos and learning things to do. It could be standing in front of yor sparring partner where the only defense yo can use is footwork without blocking or converting.

In this case feet do not coordinate with hands.

Kung fu master vs mma show TMA praticitioners who believe what you say but they had the worst footwork yet the practice hands should coordinate with feet.

Latest Discussions