Muay Thai Round Kick.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A bit off-topic, but "The Man with the Golden Gun" (with Roger Moore as James Bond) is on and it has some pretty good Muay Thai action going on while Bond and his opponent talk.

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by sweeper

"The Jun Fan kickboxing kick" ?

I have always been told to throw a hook kick in as tight of an arc as posibal, basicly trying to get your foot to travel as close to a strate linne as you can, so it doesn't swing like a MT round kick. Am I thinking of the same kick as you are?

Also question about TKD round kicks. I don't know the first thing about TKD besides 1: it's korean 2: there are lots of kicks ;-) . Now I have a freind who practices TKD and one day we were talking about the way he trains and the way I train. Anyway we got on the subject of kicks and "non-telegraphic" kicks came up, basicly an unchambered speed kick, he didn't demonstrate but I was wondering, is this something particular to his school? Or is that a typical TKD method of kicking? And if so why does everyone say TKD fighters chamber their legs?
Not everyone does that. Everyone does chamber their leg, but not all the time. It really depends on the environment and the situation, and you will either use a speed or the power one depending on those factors.

B

Bagatha

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

I teach Tae Kwon do but train at a Muay Thai school. I agree with the poster that said tkd kicks are faster and muay thai is stronger, that has been my experience too. But i think you were asking for advice on how to perfect the Muay thai roundkick?

Hmmm.. when I first joined Muay Thai I found it extremely difficult to make the transition from tkd to thai. Basically I just really focused on keeping the knee slightly bent and keeping the shin prominently exposed for the striking area without straightening my leg on impact. The other major concept I kept in my mind was really turning the hip and shoulder into the kick. In TKD we often fudge a little and dont turn all the way to increase speed. Other than that I just practiced it a zillion times until it became natural. My best advice to anyone about any technique is always pratice it over and over until your body recognises it as a natural movement.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Really? I thought they were pretty close, like VERY close. The only difference I thought was that the Muay Thai round kick at the moment of impact had the kicking knee still bent. While the TKD side turning was close to straight. Maybe it is just the combination of instructors (both the MT and the TKD instructors are just teaching it similar). Everyone has different experiences though.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well in ITF TKD we teach you to turn your hip, chamber your leg and release while striking with the instep. In muay Thai I've been taught to not chamber the leg, snap the hip and turn my shoulder and hip all the way into the kick. Not to mention that you launch the TKD one from way back and launch the MT one almost from the hip in a squared off stance. And the whole knee slightly bent thing for MT. Those are the 2 technical ways of doing those kicks relative to their art... Ask your 2 instructors for all the details on how to exactly stand when doing the kick and how to launch it, see what they say and let me know.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

B

Bagatha

:D actually.....thats what we did this week(in TKD anyways). Ok there is that "fluff kick" for sparring(my personal description)...or the cut kick..like a cross between the front and the turning. The actual side turning we use in patterns....ok your right @ chambering there... and then the board breaking one....now this is the one that I thought was close to the MT one, basically all leg, little bend in the knee.<-the one we did this week. This evening @ MT class, the instructor explained the round kick as being in perfect line with the body and the foot fully pivoted (like the side kick). In this respect I thought the 2 were identical, except 1 was bent knee at contact, and the other wasnt. Where it starts from has never really been a topic in my TKD classes... I will ask and get back to you on that. It always started from wherever your foot was...which was usually in a basic fighting stance when sparring. Whatever was comfortable when breaking.

Oh yeah, we were taught that the tool was not restricted to the instep, it went from halfway of the top of your foot, to halfway up the shin(in TKD). So ok there is another difference, as MT does not include the foot at all (from what Ive seen so far). But still....pretty close. I feel quite comfortable doing it, as opposed to the front kick....whoa now there is a big difference I have to get used to! I feel so akward...like Ive never been in MA before when I do that one. lol.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya its alot of small differences and I guess it really makes no difference to someone that is learning both as they go. For me I spent 10 years in TKD learning it a certain way so when I started to learn the Muay Thai way it was a whole new kick to me.... even though they look the same to most people. The front kick your having trouble with.. you mean the Teep kick?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

B

Bagatha

*sigh* yeaah....thats the one...

Trying desperatley not to chamber....buuut....doing it a bizillion times one way and then having to change it is difficult. That and the biggest part for me is doing it on my toes+leaning back slightly (so I was taught), I keep falling backward onto my heel when I lean back. Im a total noob. lol.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well you're supposed to lean back to extend your leg a little farther for greater range and hopefully intercept your opponent while he's throwing a technique (like the round kick) and to keep your head out of range of his punches while your doing it. When you do it that way you should be balanced with the leg further out to counter the action of leaning back and making it all even again. If you over extended without leaning back you would fall forward. Any of that make sense or am I just confusing you more?

I actually love the teep kick, it's one of the few things I can do well the easily translated from TKD to MT. If you've got good timing you can really keep your opponent off balance.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Latest Discussions