Muay Thai in MMA

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lol. I guess you haven't seen my videos. You definitely haven't sparred with me, because my sparring partners would tell you differently.

Just because someone knows BJJ doesn't mean they lack the skills or ability to punch your lights out.

Take a deep breath, and go google the word "MAJORITY".

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My point is that if kids are fighting on the ground then the act of fighting on the ground is nothing new. UFC didn't invent ground fighting. BJJ didn't event ground fighting. If you think that people fought in wars without ever fighting on the ground, or that the law enforcers of that time never had to fight on the ground, then that's your ignorance. I can't help that you think no human has ever had to fight on the ground until UFC and that UFC is the ultimate test of ground fighting.

Yea, I knew what your point was, which was why I told you that you're ignorant of the evolution of BJJ and even Wrestling.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, there aren't more sloppy fighters from other styles, not sure why you would say that. .

Change that to, there are more fighters produced...in MT/BJJ/MMA gyms.... to fight at the highest levels of full contact, combat sports; with the highest being The UFC.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm just nitpicking here, not remarking on your post in general. My dad fought in WW1 (U.S. Army) We had many conversations about his training in boot camp. (I was already into the Arts) He related that it was brief at best, they just wanted them all pushed through boot camp as fast as possible and onto the front lines.

The U.S. involvement in World War one started a hair shy of one hundred years ago. Damn, I'm fricken old.
WWI was a mess over all in terms of military training and tactics. They learned a lot of what that they shouldn't do in modern warfare (modern for that time period). Fighting in and out of trenches, calvary, mustard gas etc. Big mess.

And yes you are old but make sure you write some of those stories down of what your father shared because it's important.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Change that to, there are more fighters produced...in MT/BJJ/MMA gyms.... to fight at the highest levels of full contact, combat sports; with the highest being The UFC.

That doesn't make sense. The purpose of these gyms is to turn out pro fighters, they don't do anything else. Bodybuilding gyms turn out bodybuilders, gymnastic gyms turn out gymnasts ( who knew?) and these gyms turn out fighters. It doesn't mean other styles are sloppy.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well this is just getting overly picky. Like saying that "Kung-Fu" just means "hard work" or whatever and it should be called Wushu, or whatever instead. There are Muay Boran schools that rolls around, albeit sloppily, on the ground like BJJ...but they still do it it and call themselves Muay Boran.

I don't think it's being nit-picky. I think there's an important distinction. It's not the same as saying what the definition of kung-fu is... it's moreof lumping all Chinese martial arts under the umbrella term of kung-fu and saying "you learn this in kung-fu", when in reality you could be studying grappling in shuai jiao, centerline theory in wing chun, shifting of balance in tai chi, or movement styles from an animal system. There's hundreds of arts all completely different from each other.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did tell you my opinion is based on what I see? It's not just my opinion either. Are you involved in MMA or just a watcher of the UFC?
I love it when guys who do nothing but watch it try and tell everyone how it needs to be done and gives advice from what they see on tv or from the sidelines. its so fun making them looks silly lol

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it's being nit-picky. I think there's an important distinction. It's not the same as saying what the definition of kung-fu is... it's moreof lumping all Chinese martial arts under the umbrella term of kung-fu and saying "you learn this in kung-fu", when in reality you could be studying grappling in shuai jiao, centerline theory in wing chun, shifting of balance in tai chi, or movement styles from an animal system. There's hundreds of arts all completely different from each other.

That's interesting, but still doesn't answer my question of why there are Muay Boran schools that grapples on the ground like all White Belt BJJ's?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. The purpose of these gyms is to turn out pro fighters, they don't do anything else. Bodybuilding gyms turn out bodybuilders, gymnastic gyms turn out gymnasts ( who knew?) and these gyms turn out fighters. It doesn't mean other styles are sloppy.

Name 10 of these gyms in your country that turns out high level MMA fighters w/o employing Muay Thai.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My dad fought in WW1 (U.S. Army) We had many conversations about his training in boot camp. (I was already into the Arts) He related that it was brief at best, they just wanted them all pushed through boot camp as fast as possible and onto the front lines.

Usually it's only people who never served that thinks that there are some secret sauce that the military teaches in their H2H training, that transforms brand new soldiers into magical killing machines w/their hands; within a very limited amount of time and practice, ie. boot camp...that they can easily kill trained fighters or whatever. The secret sauce, really, are their rifles. Or just rage stabbing with their knife or bayonet, etc. Plenty of soldiers, special forces, Marines, etc. trains at MMA gyms. In general, if all that they had were the average training in their perspective military dept. then they're about at an intermediate White Belt.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Name 10 of these gyms in your country that turns out high level MMA fighters w/o employing Muay Thai.
This is a really trolly question, simply because you're expecting her to be familiar with >10 gyms in her country that are capable of turning out high level MMA fighters, on that already use Muay Thai. While I'm less familiar with high level fighter producing gyms, I'm familiar with a lot of gyms in my area, and a decent number of my friends are involved competitively, but it would be tough for me to name off the top of my head 10 gyms that produce fighters in general (although a majority of them combine either boxing or kickboxing and BJJ since that's whats popular over here).

Based on the amount of troll responses you've been giving everyone in this thread and others, I'm just going to "ignore" you. I'm not writing this to let you know, I'm writing it to remind others of that option before they waste even more time arguing with you pointlessly.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What on earth are you talking about? I don't actually think you are following the same conversation as we are.

This is what you said, I told you then your sentence doesn't make any sense because all you are saying is these gyms turn out fighters, which as I said is their job. Where do you get this thing that it's without Muay Thai. Of course the Muay Thai gyms turn out Muay Thai fighters, how would they train MT if they didn't do it?
Many gyms train 'striking/stand up' this will be a mixture of techniques that the coaches find works, they can make it so that training is personalised for individual fighters, or they can make it general for a class. It's not 'pure' anything, some coaches come from a MT background, some form boxing, others TKD or karate, they mix up their techniques to find the best possible outcome for their fighters.
One of the things I like about training MMA is the 'looseness' of techniques, being smaller and lighter many techniques from traditional styles which have to be done for gradings etc have to be done perfectly, in MMA you can tweak, play with and manipulate techniques until you make them work for you. On a figure four arm bar for example the strong men with longer arms do it one way, I've been shown another way that makes it work better for me, there's no 'perfect' way to do it that's going to be judged, if it works it's a winner.

There's no 'pure' MT in MMA just as there is no 'pure' any style, we change it, mould it until it works. We do it all the time to all styles so everything we do in MMA is as effective as we can make it. In this respect many styles that have standup are just as good as MT.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
simply because you're expecting her to be familiar with >10 gyms in her country that are capable of turning out high level MMA fighters

I am familiar with 10 gyms who turn out high level MMA fighters but see my post for explanation of how standup/striking training is done.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing to also understand is that many gyms have separate classes too in MT, TKD, fitness, yoga, boxercise etc because it helps pay the bills. It doesn't mean the fighters necessarily use this classes, though the standard of MT and the others will be high and worth taking if you want to go into MMA. We do have some of the best MT clubs in Europe btw. Most have dedicated classes for fighters which are often invitation only so don't appear on the class lists.
Any way your list of ten ( I can give you more including our own) MMA gyms/clubs that turn out high levels fighters, whatever style they chose to use. No 6, they use boxing because that's what Ian trained in. It's also a place mostly for 'ard men ( if you knew Ian you'd know why) lol though Ian's daughter is embarking on an MMA fight career.

1. Trojans
2. London Shoot ( has the added advantage of having members who embark on multi million bank raids)
3. Leicester ( some of the very best BJJ in the country, Nathan is a great guy besides)
4. Dogs of War ( Welsh look you)
5. Dinky Ninjas ( some of my favourite men)
6 Ian Freeman's
7. Tillery Combat ( Jack Marshman's 'home', he's from boxing not MT)
8 Griphouse ( Scottish, more favourite men)
9.Wolfslair ( should be known to most)
10. Next Gen ( Liverpool)

Tillery Combat is typical of the gyms I was talking about, they have 'stand up classes'. Their standup coach is a boxing coach. Jack Marshman is also a coach there when he's home, he's a serving Para.
London Shoot offers classes in a lot of different styles and has pro fighters sessions for which you need instructors permission to attend.
I've never said MT isn't used or taught, so strange to think you read that in what I said, I just don't think you understand how it's used.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Usually it's only people who never served that thinks that there are some secret sauce that the military teaches in their H2H training, that transforms brand new soldiers into magical killing machines w/their hands; within a very limited amount of time and practice, ie. boot camp...that they can easily kill trained fighters or whatever. The secret sauce, really, are their rifles. Or just rage stabbing with their knife or bayonet, etc. Plenty of soldiers, special forces, Marines, etc. trains at MMA gyms. In general, if all that they had were the average training in their perspective military dept. then they're about at an intermediate White Belt.
He was talking about World War 1. How do you get MMA out of that?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No one here said or thinks that soldiers have a 'secret sauce' etc etc. No one thinks soldiers are turned in 'magic killing machines, no one said that. Not sure what your point is here.
MMA is regarded by the military as a sport alongside martial arts, rugby, hockey etc. As with all sports it's useful because it encourages team spirit, competitiveness and bravery and keeps them out of mischief, all things necessary for the military. The training they get in hand to hand fighting is limited but is quite different from MMA/martial arts, it focuses only on killing/maiming rather than sport. ( we don't have white or any other colour in MMA btw)

'Rage stabbing', well no, here our military are taught to use a bayonet properly, rage doesn't come into it. Yes, our soldiers have used bayonets in Afghan, yes I know what I'm talking about.

No one is disputing MT is a very useful part of MMA but it isn't the only useful weapon in the arsenal. I'm not sure what your argument is other than to just argue.

Latest Discussions