Muay Thai in Central Illinois

Discussion in 'Schools / Instructors' started by Old Judoka, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Old Judoka

Old Judoka Yellow Belt

Looking for somewhere to train Muay Thai in Champaign, Illinois vicinity.

2. Transk53

Transk53 The Dark Often Prevails

• Supporting Member
    You may well be served by offering a few more details like how far you can travel and what not. Have you trained MT before, or maybe open to a bit of a mix?

3. Old Judoka

Old Judoka Yellow Belt

Thank you for the tip. I live 30 miles from Champaign Illinois and have never trained in Muay Thai. I already got back into Judo through a club at our local University. I recently found out there is a Boxing club on campus. I think I'm going to go that route and eventually migrate into Muay Thai if possible. I saw on a local forum that a student is trying to get a Muay Thai Club started. Off and on there was supposedly someone teaching Krav Maga. I haven't been able to fully confirm that. There are also clubs for Japanese Ju-jitsu (specifically Hakko Denshin Ryu Aiki Jujutsu, which I know nothing about ) , Tae Kwon Do, Goshin-Jitsu and Kuk Sool Wan. I am open to practicing a bit of a mix. I think Judo mixed with Boxing and Muay Thai or even Krav would make a formidable mix. There used to be a MMA Club here, but they moved and the building was even torn down. I have no idea if they are still in the area.

4. Danny T

Danny T Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Give look at;
    Jack McVicker Martial Arts

1914 Round Barn Rd
    Champaign, IL 61821

Excellent instructor.
    Is a multi martial art facility with Muay Thai being one.
    Jack is under the World Thai Boxing Association (Thai Boxing Association USA)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Old Judoka

Old Judoka Yellow Belt

Thank you very much. I know of Jack McVicker, he is pretty renowned for BJJ. I know also that he is certified to teach Vunak/Inosanto Jeet Kune Do. I had no idea that he offered Muay Thai at his school. Once again, thank you for the info!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Transk53

Transk53 The Dark Often Prevails

• Supporting Member
    Good advice from Danny T. Hey look atl the Judo is much under estimated in my opinion. That is covered with locks and throwing.

Take the boxing to get a feel of structed stiking, but keep in mind that boxing can include kicking. That is where Krav has its strength, it adapts over a TMA.

My advice would be to you taking some personal time to look at yourself in terms of how perceive yourself. What do you feel is you, that is the question, and you must feel this. What do you actually like?

• Like Like x 1