muay thai good for street fights?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just curious and sorry to hijack thread.

With all the training that we do, i have no doubt that in a street fight, we can 'lights out' the thug pretty easy. Therein lies my problem.... i sometimes will run scenarios in my mind where i get jumped (though likely not, being a safe jurisdiction, and i keep out of danger zones), and instinct takes over and i land a 'killer blow' to either the head, or ribs, severely injuring the thug. (Concussion, broken ribs etc). Honestly i will feel damn guilty if i accidentally killed someone, or even severely injure anyone... am i the only one feeling this way?

(or i could be way overestimating my abilities, lol)
You are unlikely to seriously injure someone with a single blow. It can happen, especially if you KO them and their head hits the ground hard, but it's not likely to. And your conscience should feel clear on this if it does happen, because they created the situation. Many of my techniques are designed to destroy (elbows, wrists, etc.). I won't hesitate to use them if someone puts me in danger and the technique is handy. Those are very likely to leave a long-term injury, but he was trying to injure me, so I'll do what I must to defend.

dowz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You are unlikely to seriously injure someone with a single blow. It can happen, especially if you KO them and their head hits the ground hard, but it's not likely to. And your conscience should feel clear on this if it does happen, because they created the situation. Many of my techniques are designed to destroy (elbows, wrists, etc.). I won't hesitate to use them if someone puts me in danger and the technique is handy. Those are very likely to leave a long-term injury, but he was trying to injure me, so I'll do what I must to defend.

thanks - i was just thinking of a solid blow to the neck, or a back thrust to the solar plexus. Seems serious enough to have a chance to accidentally kill someone, or i could be thinking too much...

KaiShiQuan

White Belt
Reaction score
just curious and sorry to hijack thread.

With all the training that we do, i have no doubt that in a street fight, we can 'lights out' the thug pretty easy. Therein lies my problem.... i sometimes will run scenarios in my mind where i get jumped (though likely not, being a safe jurisdiction, and i keep out of danger zones), and instinct takes over and i land a 'killer blow' to either the head, or ribs, severely injuring the thug. (Concussion, broken ribs etc). Honestly i will feel damn guilty if i accidentally killed someone, or even severely injure anyone... am i the only one feeling this way?

(or i could be way overestimating my abilities, lol)

I remember reading something that really relates to to this. It was somewhere along the lines of "if an enemy confronts me, I sink my fist into his flesh. if he sinks his fist into my flesh, I break his bones. If he tries to break my bones, I take his life." I believe that was Bruce Lee I just quoted.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fighting in the street is illegal.
Do you still claim not to understand what people mean by that phrase? It's been clarified for you several times that most people, when using the term "fight", are referring to the physical altercation during an attack. If you are the defender, that is not illegal.