MT Is still around?

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Or manual transmission. It would not surprise me if someone was surprised some cars still have manual transmission. @masherdong, which is it?

FYI, most cars in the UK/EU are manual... Up until recently manual cars were generally better with fuel consumption and costs. Added to that, if you have a manual car licence you are legally allowed to drive both manual and automatic cars. If you have an automatic car licence, you are only legally allowed to drive an automatic cars :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
FYI, most cars in the UK/EU are manual... Up until recently manual cars were generally better with fuel consumption and costs. Added to that, if you have a manual car licence you are legally allowed to drive both manual and automatic cars. If you have an automatic car licence, you are only legally allowed to drive an automatic cars :)

There is a separate license for manual and automatic in the UK/EU!? I had no idea.

We don't have that in the USA. There are separate licenses for car, bus, large truck, motorcycle but not based on transmission. I have driven both types transmissions, legally here in the US

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a separate license for manual and automatic in the UK/EU!? I had no idea.

Yes, but as stated only an auto licence restricts you to an auto car - a manual licence lets you drive manual or automatic.

Then there are 3 separate licences for motorcycles (age and power output restricted), different licences for different weight classes of car/truck with or without a trailer (again, categorised by weight) and a good few subcategories too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but as stated only an auto licence restricts you to an auto car - a manual licence lets you drive manual or automatic.

That's because driving an automatic isn't real driving, it's point and steer so we don't let you drive proper cars if you only took your driving test in an automatic. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's because driving an automatic isn't real driving, it's point and steer so we don't let you drive proper cars if you only took your driving test in an automatic. :D
Here, someone can get their motorcycle license on an automatic (mostly scooters, though there are a few auto motorcycles), and can legally drive a manual motorcycle, which is even more different than driving a manual car.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have a licenses for both...however I have never driven an automatic motorcycle and I have never been on a scooter. But the way cars are getting here today they either mostly drive themselves, tell you how to drive them, or both.....waaaaaaaaay to much tech in new cars

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here, someone can get their motorcycle license on an automatic (mostly scooters, though there are a few auto motorcycles), and can legally drive a manual motorcycle, which is even more different than driving a manual car.

There's no distinction here between an auto or manual bike - the licence categories are based on power output and the rider's age.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a licenses for both...however I have never driven an automatic motorcycle and I have never been on a scooter. But the way cars are getting here today they either mostly drive themselves, tell you how to drive them, or both.....waaaaaaaaay to much tech in new cars

When you say scooter do you mean the Vespa/Lambretta type or do you mean mopeds?

Scooter
42061663-happy-young-couple-traveling-in-scooter-in-old-european-city.jpg

Moped
th

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say scooter do you mean the Vespa/Lambretta type or do you mean mopeds?

Scooter

Moped
th
I'm not sure how the distinguish them now. I think it's anything over 80 BHP or something like that. (Under whatever that limit is, they don't require a full driver's license in many places.)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Scooter

Moped
th

Mopeds and scooter are two different things in the USA, so think Vespa. But we also call this a scooter too.

maxresdefault.jpg

That's a Honda

And to make things a little more confusing...Scooter can be slang for a motorcycle as well...but it is still not an actual scooter

rossen-gargolov-harley-davidson-sportster-1200-custom_a-G-13404902-14258383.jpg

But a moped, is a moped, is a moped

300px-Honda_Hobbit.jpg

forgot, I was on a moped once way back in 1979, I got off my Harley 125 dirt bike to try a friends moped. He took it way from me when I tried to do donuts and a wheelie....he never let me try it again and I have never been on one since...by the way...it could not do a wheelie or donuts

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My Ford F450 is a 6-speed. My wife can drive it if she has to but hates it. Does that qualify?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is also a scooter, possibly the most dangerous.! ( wow that came up big!
ferrari-two-wheel-scooter-for-kids-2017-2018-red.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is also a scooter, possibly the most dangerous.! ( wow that came up big!
ferrari-two-wheel-scooter-for-kids-2017-2018-red.jpg

Just curious, in my area people often drive 50 miles one way to work. They can mostly travel on the interstates which have a speed limit of 70 mph (112.6 kph) so with cooperative traffic about a 40-45 minute drive. How does this compare to your region?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the distinguish them now. I think it's anything over 80 BHP or something like that. (Under whatever that limit is, they don't require a full driver's license in many places.)

80 BHP is more power than my BMW K75 had - it had about 73 by the book.

Which isn't all that bad from a 740cc engine - considering a Hardly Dangerous 1200 sportster only has 66BHP...

If the cutoff really is 80bhp, that'll mean there's about 3 US made bikes that need the rider to have a full licence.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, in my area people often drive 50 miles one way to work. They can mostly travel on the interstates which have a speed limit of 70 mph (112.6 kph) so with cooperative traffic about a 40-45 minute drive. How does this compare to your region?

In my area most people work locally, they are either military ( we are the biggest army garrison in Europe) or work for the army, plus we are in a sheep farming area ( not always a happy mix) with no big roads. Some people, usually military dependents travel for work if they want to keep their careers going, this cane be down to Leeds or up to Newcastle both over an hour way by motorway when the weather is okay. Having a vehicle is absolutely imperative here, you need it to shop, get children to school/college. Up in the Dales the children move out to the cities and towns for university and work, outsiders buy up homes for holiday homes.
If you have ever watched or read 'All creatures Great and Small' that's where I am, with the Garrison being plonked in the middle.

Our local town, Richmond. the very first Richmond anywhere and for whom all others are named.
richmond-north-yorkshire-england-d1p7x4.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80 BHP is more power than my BMW K75 had - it had about 73 by the book.

Which isn't all that bad from a 740cc engine - considering a Hardly Dangerous 1200 sportster only has 66BHP...

If the cutoff really is 80bhp, that'll mean there's about 3 US made bikes that need the rider to have a full licence.
I clearly hadn't had enough coffee when posting that . I meant to say something about maybe 80CC or some arbitrary BHP, and crapped out in the middle of it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mopeds and scooter are two different things in the USA, so think Vespa. But we also call this a scooter too.

maxresdefault.jpg

That's a Honda

And to make things a little more confusing...Scooter can be slang for a motorcycle as well...but it is still not an actual scooter

rossen-gargolov-harley-davidson-sportster-1200-custom_a-G-13404902-14258383.jpg

But a moped, is a moped, is a moped

300px-Honda_Hobbit.jpg

forgot, I was on a moped once way back in 1979, I got off my Harley 125 dirt bike to try a friends moped. He took it way from me when I tried to do donuts and a wheelie....he never let me try it again and I have never been on one since...by the way...it could not do a wheelie or donuts
Sportsters are dangerously close to the scooter category.