Mr. Ed Parker Jr. Seminar: "Things My Dad Taught Me!" June 18th

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tried to post two flyers (pdf file) but both were too big to upload, so I am going to post the text of the flyers.

ATTENTION!

Karate Seminar by Mr. Ed Parker Jr. "Things My Dad Taught Me!"

Sponsored by:
Rocky Mountain Sports Academy
1603 N. State St.
Lehi, UT 84043

50 years ago (1954), Mr. Ed Parker Sr. opened the nation's first American Dojo in Provo, Utah. Mr. Parker went on to become known as "The FAther of American Karate!" and helped karate become what it has become today. Come and listen to Mr. Ed Parker Jr. talk about the lessons he learned and the principles his father taught him about the "secrets to the martial arts".

When: Friday, June 18th, 2004
7:15 pm - 8:00 pm (kids 8-12)
8:00 pm - 9:30 pm kids 13+ and adults)
Where: RMSA Studio (see address above)
Take exit #285 off I-15 in Utah, go west to State Street then go South. You will see a Rocky Mountain Sports Academy sign.
Cost: $20.00 for kids and $30.00 for adults (all are welcome!)

Please RSVP with Mr. Troy Marchant at 801.420.5599 or Mr. Scott Crowley at 801.420.1976 by Wednesday, June 16th! Space is limited!

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
THis looks like this will be a neat event. Especially around fathers day (isn't that coming up soon?)

:asian:
Yes, Father's day is coming up on the 20th, so the event comes up two days before on Friday. It would be interesting to hear what Ed. Parker Jr. will say about his father.

- Ceicei

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'll try hard to be there, and I'll probably bring a few friends :) Thanks for letting us know.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TheEdge883 said:
I'll try hard to be there, and I'll probably bring a few friends :) Thanks for letting us know.
I hope to see you there! :ultracool

- Ceicei

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Ceicei,

Thanks for posting this, I may make the drive down for this.

Lamont

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Hi Ceicei,

Thanks for posting this, I may make the drive down for this.

Lamont
Thanks Lamont. I hope you'll be able to come on down and be with us for the seminar.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last call for those who want to come to the seminar. It is tonight at 8:00 p.m. Contact Mr. Troy Marchant at 801.420.5599 or Mr. Scott Crowley at 801.420.1976 if you plan to come. It is still not too late to decide to come.

- Ceicei

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What a seminar. Ed Jr. is a remarkably average everyday ordinary guy with some incredible stuff to teach and his style was very enjoyable. Got to watch him teach a kid's class and it seemed that he enjoyed doing that more than with the adults. The adult class was enjoyable. Though I was in the official capacity of (sign-language) interpreting I still learned a lot and was reminded of much that I had learned in my experience(s) in the MA(s) that I gleaned over the years.
One of the points Mr Parker made that I really enjoyed was asking the (class) who are you? To one young student he directed the question again and was answered with the lad's name. "Well, that's your name but that doesn't say WHO you are." So he was given the reply of "I'm a 17 yr. old kid" This was met with the reply; "well that's a title that you won't have on your next birthday because then you'll be an 18 yr. old man."
Mr. Parker backtracked and said the answer lies in the Kenpo creed. Two words. After some wrong guesses one answered correctly and the two words were Principals and Honor.
That is what you are defending. If you don't have (personal) definitions of those two words then what's there to defend?
It was an honor to meet and interact with Mr Ed Parker Jr. :asian:
Thank you Ceicei for accepting my services in the capacity of interpreting as it required me to pay more close attention to what the man was saying.
:asian:

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It was a really good seminar. A very good sized group of people showed up. I'll summarize some of the points he taught.

Ed Parker Jr., emphasized the importance of thinking "outside the box". He reminded us that Kenpo is free-flowing and elastic, it isn't "fixed" and should be effective--what works for each of us. It is fun hearing all the anecdotes and stories about his father throughout the seminar. I wish that I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Ed Parker Sr. before he died. Nevertheless, it was cool to see how his son thought of his father.

For the training part of the seminar, in the beginning, he pointed out how many people tend to be tense when doing techniques or fighting. He demonstrated how, if we are "loose" or relaxed, our motions would be faster and more powerful. It was interesting to see the difference. Next, he demonstrated pressure points and how it doesn't take much to take down an opponent (when pressure points are used both stand-alone and in conjunction with techniques). we practiced applying pressure points. He then used the three-footed stool as an analogy for balance, and we practiced taking each other off balance, both against the wall and standing. He moved on to ground-fighting, reminding people that in fights, there will be times we end up on the ground. Again, we continued with the three-footed stool analogy by getting our attackers off balance while we were already on the ground. We then did some "sticky fingers" exercise, his point being that we should be relaxed and loose. To be tensed up uses up more energy. Relax and we get more mileage out of our motions--being able to endure. We wrapped it up with techniques or our own freestyle ones, applying all that we had learned today as a review. He concluded the seminar with the question, "WHO are you?" As Ralph has mentioned in his post above, we are defined by what we believe, our principles and our honor.

It's terrific!

- Ceicei

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I missed it, but a couple of other life-priorities (like my wife) came up. :)

However, he (Ed Parker Jr.) will be back giving a seminar in Ogden on Friday July 16th, in conjuction with the EKL Nationals tourney.

Children 12-: 1 - 2 pm
Adults 13+: 2:15-3:15
Black and Brown: 3:30 - 5:00

Seminars are 20 each, except for Black and Brown which is $25. After July 4th prereg deadline, all prices increase by $5.

For more information contact the Excel Karate League at 801-294-0276.

Lamont