Mr. Calkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Most people that are in Life or Death situations don't get the chance to find out what they are going to do. When you are at that point you just do... I have been in several situations that were life or death. My Mother was murdered in front of my eyes in Jamestown NY, when I was 13 and the guy who did it got off and came after me for over 7 years. I have faced 3 men with guns and several with knives and you don't get the chance to think. I Think that is why so many instructors talk about Mushin "No Thought" It just happens and you remember it afterwards.. Bruce Lee Said it best in his movie Enter The Dragon... (I don't think about it.. When it's Time to Hit It Hits All By It's Self...) I may have miss qouted a bit but you get the idea and I'm sure many of you have heard him say that in his movie.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod Note:

The above post has been moved to this area for its relevance here so as not to detract from the discussion concerning being tested in the General Martial Arts Talk Forum.

- MJ
- MT Moderator

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"I lived in a dorm from Nov 1975 - Aug 1976. There were several others there and we trained everyday. Ate there, Slept There and Trained there. I moved around a lot because my father was in Baseball. (Junoir Lopez) and I missed the areas school entry date so I was going to have to take the years grade over again anywhay so my Mom and Dad Let me go there for the time and also it was easier for me than traveling on the road with the team." this is a quote from post number 31, from the thread "are titles that important? sokecalkins part 2"

above bruce states that he was in jamestown ny when he was 13. you state you were born in 1962........and you clearly state in the quoted post that you were in texas at this time studying "ninjitsu"
just out of curiosity......

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please Mr Calkins is in need of acceptance from other people, whether or not we agree or dis-agree with all his info. he is a man. Let's let bygones be bygones, anyway I know when someone is looking for answer to life journey and I believe he is at a cross road in his please try to understand this man dilema and be patience with the criticism.

Terry Lee Stoker

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Please Mr Calkins is in need of acceptance from other people, whether or not we agree or dis-agree with all his info. he is a man. Let's let bygones be bygones, anyway I know when someone is looking for answer to life journey and I believe he is at a cross road in his please try to understand this man dilema and be patience with the criticism.

Terry Lee Stoker

said very well :supcool:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
**sigh**

Personal responsibility & accountability seems to be not held in high regard anymore.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is like an invitation to a feeding frenzy. Is it really necessary?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Let's let bygones be bygones, anyway I know when someone is looking for answer to life journey and I believe he is at a cross road in his please try to understand this man dilema and be patience with the criticism.

I think there would be a lot of people willing to let bygones be bygones if Bruce showed a change in his attitude or tactics. A few people have already made it clear that they are getting tired of the escalating claims he has made.

Every member of martialtalk has a right to question claims made by other members. The claim made above will certainly be questioned and we moderators do not want thread after thread turned into a conversation about Bruce. Bruce may like being the center of attention, but this is not his board.

It looks like, based on the timeline and contradictory claims, that the story by Bruce is complete fiction. The easiest thing to bring peace to these boards is for Bruce to stop telling fictional stories. Other people are getting tired of him trying to dominate the conversation and impress other people. If Bruce changes his ways they might be willing to forgive him and start dealing with him on a friendly basis. But that depends on Bruce stopping all the fictional claims he makes and showing good faith. Only after the behavior stops can we start to move beyond this.

If anyone does not like the way this thread is going, they are quite free to stop reading and posting in it.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
clfsean said:
**sigh**

Personal responsibility & accountability seems to be not held in high regard anymore.

Unfortunately it is the trend these days. Responsibility means little in modern American society anyway (where it is always someone else's fault, somehow), so why should it matter in this case? Especially with someone who has so much to blame on so many other people? Isn't it just way easier to lay the story on so thick that others are repulsed enough to back away and say nothing, leaving the man alone to live with his ignorant students in their own fantasy world?

Whatever.

I've noticed, though, that the gentleman in question hasn't responded much as of late... Wonder why...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eventually, all growing up persons must face a finality with the truth which is that truth exists in one's mind and one's heart. And eventually, all growing up persons must ask themselves if they really must force their truth onto others or force others into admitting what they consider "The Truth" and if so, why.

Some of us are content to know the truth and move onward. Some of us are not. But eventually, with or without the truth, we all must move onward regardless, even if it is death itself that transports us.

There will always be liars, beggars, theives and charlatains. How much time do we really need to spend with them?

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There will always be liars, beggars, theives and charlatains. How much time do we really need to spend with them?
There will also always be people that stand in their way. What is the cost if we don't spend time with them?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It obviously reached the point where even if he tells the truth, nobody is going to believe him. Perhaps this latest relavation is the closest to the truth we have seen. A teenager going through a traumatic experience like that could explain a lot of the behavior we have noticed. Also probably more likely than him traveling the country persuing martial arts training at that age.

Then again it could just be more smoke to lend credibility to his statements about facing life and death, danger and armed opponents....who knows??

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
I think it's hounding people that's not held in such high regard anymore. We've pretty well established that this sort of thing won't result in a display of personal responsibility & accountability to the satisfaction of the madding crowd...so, I don't see the point of continuing the He said/She said.

If it were likely to accomplish something useful, I might feel differently.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I think it's hounding people that's not held in such high regard anymore. We've pretty well established that this sort of thing won't result in a display of personal responsibility & accountability to the satisfaction of the madding crowd...so, I don't see the point of continuing the He said/She said.

If it were likely to accomplish something useful, I might feel differently.

We do not people hounding others here on martialtalk. But every time someone makes a big statement they should be prepared to back it up.

We do not want this board to be a bunch of jackels tearing down everyone that does not fit their image of martial artists. On the other hand, we do not want a bunch of Ashida Kim types taking this place over and running amuck with their silly posturing and bragging.

If people don't say anything when faced with lies as obvious as Bruce's, the Ashida Kim types will take over. If they get used to bashing people, this place may become like the Jerry Springer show.

This section is the part of our evolving ideas about dealing with the problem. If we see that there is going to be a problem with claims made on these boards we can send it here.

In this case, Bruce should be able to prove that his mother was killed. I assume from the responses that no one is expecting him to do so. If he does not jump in to back up what he says, then people can say what they want and life on the rest of the board goes on as normal.

And if Bruce would merely stop making such obviously fictional stories, his posts would not be sent here.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm with TGace on this one, if the story about him losing his mother is true, such a tragic and traumatic event could certainly lead to unresolved issues later in life.

Just my unqualified psychotherapy thing.
Simon

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
For what it's worth, I'm with TGace on this one, if the story about him losing his mother is true, such a tragic and traumatic event could certainly lead to unresolved issues later in life.

The thing is, that is a pretty big "if". Now if Bruce steps forward and proves this, maybe it would get him some sympathy and explain all his faults. But looking at the way he used it, it sounds more like a brag about having to face danger than an honest story. Read it again and see what I mean.

Lets face it, up to now he has yet to prove any signifigent claim. The claims have started to escalate. And this claim is contradicted by earlier statements. And you think that something like this would have come out sooner rather than when he was running out of things to try to impress us with.

If Bruce ignores this thread like he has others like his USMC claims, then I think that the natural assumption is that he is lying. If he makes no move to prove this claim, then how are people going to treat a man who would lie about the death of his mother to make himself sound tough and get a little symathy?

If he does not try to prove this, things are going to get heated as people treat him with even less respect. And we moderators are the ones who have to clean up the mess.

So, I think Bruce should step forward and give information that would let anyone else prove this story for themselves. Court cases and the like are public record and anyone can check on them. If he ignores this thread or take his typical stance to just trust him.... God help us all because I do not know what people are going to do to him.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
If Bruce ignores this thread like he has others like his USMC claims, then I think that the natural assumption is that he is lying. If he makes no move to prove this claim, then how are people going to treat a man who would lie about the death of his mother to make himself sound tough and get a little symathy?

If he does not try to prove this, things are going to get heated as people treat him with even less respect. And we moderators are the ones who have to clean up the mess.

So, I think Bruce should step forward and give information that would let anyone else prove this story for themselves. Court cases and the like are public record and anyone can check on them. If he ignores this thread or take his typical stance to just trust him.... God help us all because I do not know what people are going to do to him.
Iam in definate agreement with you, but for one thing at some point I think a person should be given the benefit of the doubt, and it would certainly explain a lot of things.
On the other hand even though he himself brought up the subject, it could be that it is just too painful an experience to have to go out of one's way to prove:idunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.