Moy Yat Ving Tsun

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kamon Guy,
There's also kenpo karate too man. Although this style doesn't fall under the umbrella of traditional karate, it meshes extremely well w/ wing chun.

tenth1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i understand whay you are saying spartan but there is no confusion for me between brute strength and martial skill, this is why i train in martial arts to aquire more finesse to go with the tools i already have

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree. There is a general consensus that wing chun never works well with karate, but I know a couple of people who have adpated wing chun and karate to work hand in hand and they pull it off well. So never say never.

-rolls eyes and moves on-

wck dallas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What would you say the average time frame was for a student of this style to become an instructor?

I talked w/ a guy in my area who's starting up a club and apparently has only had a couple of years training. I then checked his instructor's website and it seemed that this was average timeline for student to instructor progression.

It freaked me out a little because w/ such a small time constraint, that school would seem to fall into the "McDojo" category. How could I evaluate whether this is a quality wing chun school?

Spartan

I spoke with a similar school not too long ago. the instructor said the students become instructors after 2 years. At my school the students begin helping instruct at red sash... which on average takes 4-5 years.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent Brocklee!!

Wing Chun is a "Training System" not a fighting style! The training system builds the attributes of the individual to what is best for that individual. If a one arm person wanted to training WC could he not be trained? Certainly but his training and style would be different than someone with two arms. His style would most certainly be different yet he would still be true wing chun.

The style is the individual and anyone training to fight like someone else is doing themselves a disservice. It is well known that Yip Man trained his students differently in specific areas. Their basics are all the same and each was then trained in a manner reflective on the individual's ability and attributes. The individual using their abilities in the most direct and efficient manner at any one particular point in time and space utilizing the principles of the WC system is their true Wing Chun. The system doesn't do the fighting nor does the style. It is the individual utilizing what they have learn within the system based upon that individual's abilities that does the fighting.

The rest is either Ego, Politics, or Marketing.

Danny T

I'm new to WC (studying at a Moy Yat school) and have researched TMA for the last 5 months and I have to say I couldn't agree more with what you said. In WC, like other Kung Fu or MA's, you're learning a skill. How you apply it will vary.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm new to WC (studying at a Moy Yat school) and have researched TMA for the last 5 months and I have to say I couldn't agree more with what you said. In WC, like other Kung Fu or MA's, you're learning a skill. How you apply it will vary.
Just letting you know that you replied to a thread from 10 years ago.

Latest Discussions