Moy Yat Ving Tsun

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, tell me about this school. How do they stack up to other wing chun schools? Also, what worked well about wing chun for your Sensei?

I honestly couldn't tell you much of anything. All I really know is some of the first 2 forms, the drills that go along, and some of the 'fist sayings'. My Cuong Nhu Sensei has had an intrest in Wing Chun that spurred him to study with these guys.

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
mmm... I'll leave the fat-phobia and sexism alone. However, the pics taken done in the first 5 minutes of class.

I am not scared of fat people. I have simply noticed the scarcity of them amongst competent martial artists. You may have also noticed the rarity of obese sprinters, boxers, and gymnasts.

Similarly, none of my comments were sexist. At least the way we train, most women would be out the door after the first time she lined up to get a few punches to the solar plexus from the teachers, if not the first time the medicine ball was slammed into her stomach. I know there are women out there who don't mind getting knocked around, but my guess is that the class where they get clocked in the face after doing a sloppy pak sao would also be their last class.

I think it's remarkable that every picture on that website, from forms to chi sao to wooden dummy to sao bao training, were taken in the first five minutes of class. You guys must have the world record for fastest SLT.

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tanizaki,
I'm feelin ya all the way bro.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not scared of fat people. I have simply noticed the scarcity of them amongst competent martial artists. You may have also noticed the rarity of obese sprinters, boxers, and gymnasts.

Similarly, none of my comments were sexist. At least the way we train, most women would be out the door after the first time she lined up to get a few punches to the solar plexus from the teachers, if not the first time the medicine ball was slammed into her stomach. I know there are women out there who don't mind getting knocked around, but my guess is that the class where they get clocked in the face after doing a sloppy pak sao would also be their last class.

I think it's remarkable that every picture on that website, from forms to chi sao to wooden dummy to sao bao training, were taken in the first five minutes of class. You guys must have the world record for fastest SLT.

Just so you know, I'm about 10 lb.s over weight. My Sensei is a few pounds over weight. There is a 7th Dan in Aikido in my area who could be mistaken for a Sumo wrestler do to his size. Now, if you say that any of us are incompotent Martial Artists, I'll laugh at you.

As for sexist, why would a woman be more likely to quite do to intense training? Besides, aren't punches in Pac Sao/Chum Choi supposed to be chest level?

It's not a record for speedy training, it's called 'being staged for the sake of PR'

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just so you know, I'm about 10 lb.s over weight. My Sensei is a few pounds over weight. There is a 7th Dan in Aikido in my area who could be mistaken for a Sumo wrestler do to his size. Now, if you say that any of us are incompotent Martial Artists, I'll laugh at you.「/quote]
In general, I am not very impressed with aikido. Maybe if he trained against resisting opponents, he wouldn't be so fat.

As for people being 3-10 lbs overweight, I don't generally consider that fat. Of course, I never said that there are no competent fat martial artists; I said that fat ones were rare. I was expecting you to pull out George Foreman, who is one of the greatest boxers of all time. However, I still wouldn't say that it is good for a boxer to be a tub of lard. That would be the logical fallacy known as "hasty conclusion", which you have just employed.

If you wish to say that weak and fat is better than strong and fit, I will delight in laughing at you.

As for sexist, why would a woman be more likely to quite do to intense training?
Because they are physically weaker than men.

Besides, aren't punches in Pac Sao/Chum Choi supposed to be chest level?
I have no idea what the purpose of this question is.

It's not a record for speedy training, it's called 'being staged for the sake of PR'

So then they weren't taken in the first five minutes of class? Post pictures of people working up a sweat instead of some fat people holding their arms in odd contortions.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a big fat guy and I am not offended by your comments. I think that being fat shows laziness and over indulgence. I am guilty of both. I do work hard in training, but over indulge. I have been very toned and fitter than most but have let myslef go in recent years

I think it is also important to have a mix of all types of people in class - women, fat people, skinny people, etc. If you have a fight in the street, it could be against anyone, including fat people. If you are used to training with toned people all the time, you will struggle.

There are a lot of fat people in the world who have made good martial artists - Sammo Hung and Buttersby/Begsby (I can't remember his name, but the cage fighter from Cage Rage)

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK... dude... I have done Aikido with this guy. I tried doing the attacks with no force, and he got mad at me. He told me to do a full force, full commitment attack. He is in good shape, just fat. Which is possible, believe it or not.

Agian, this sounds kinda sexist. Talk to a Marine.

You said some thing to the effect of 'when they get punched in the face because of a weak pac sao'. When your doing the drill where one person is just doing pac sao, and the other is chain punching (called chum choi), isn't the puncher supposed to be going chest level?

No, they were. They set it up, just like they would in a real class, and then did the work out.

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a big fat guy and I am not offended by your comments. I think that being fat shows laziness and over indulgence. I am guilty of both. I do work hard in training, but over indulge. I have been very toned and fitter than most but have let myslef go in recent years
Thank you for an honest response.

I think it is also important to have a mix of all types of people in class - women, fat people, skinny people, etc. If you have a fight in the street, it could be against anyone, including fat people. If you are used to training with toned people all the time, you will struggle.
I don't think people who present no challenge are useful in a class.

There are a lot of fat people in the world who have made good martial artists - Sammo Hung and Buttersby/Begsby (I can't remember his name, but the cage fighter from Cage Rage)

In my world, two is not "lots".

By the way, I noticed that you took a bit of a beating at The Site That Must Not Be Named recently.

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
OK... dude... I have done Aikido with this guy. I tried doing the attacks with no force, and he got mad at me. He told me to do a full force, full commitment attack. He is in good shape, just fat. Which is possible, believe it or not.
But of course it is.

Agian, this sounds kinda sexist. Talk to a Marine.
Talk to a jarhead about what?

You said some thing to the effect of 'when they get punched in the face because of a weak pac sao'. When your doing the drill where one person is just doing pac sao, and the other is chain punching (called chum choi), isn't the puncher supposed to be going chest level?
We do punches to the face in the pak sao drill.

No, they were. They set it up, just like they would in a real class, and then did the work out.

It doesn't seem to have worked out very well for you.

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will say that it is possible to be overweight, while still having good conditioning. There aren't many fighters in this category however - if your hitting your cardio, the pounds will usually come off.

I don't have any problem w/women training w/men. I would never want there to be any comprimise in the training - the group still has to hit it just as hard, same intesity.

As far as the website goes, while looks can be deceiving, it doesn't look like many of them could handle themselves in a dark alley.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you for an honest response..
No problem

I don't think people who present no challenge are useful in a class. .
I have found that some women and skinny people are a hell of a lot harder to fight than bigger people

In my world, two is not "lots"..
I only mentioned two people who are exceptional martial artists as an example. I could quote 20 people I know who are not toned who are good martial artists, but I didn't want to bore people

By the way, I noticed that you took a bit of a beating at The Site That Must Not Be Named recently.
Yeah, unfortunately so. I think I won some of them round in the end, but some people are just 'armchair martial artists' who have not had any kind of physical contact before. As BCBernam777 stated - they are mainly just internet bullies who are jealous of wing chunners

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have found that some women and skinny people are a hell of a lot harder to fight than bigger people

Skinny people fight till there burger! A perfect canident for a Wing Chun player!

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Any of you fellows ever cross-train in different styles?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
You shouldn't cross train until you have a very deep understanding of Wing Chun. So, wait until you're at about at Bil Jee, at earliest.

Outside that, there are a few that would work well. Wing Chun, many Filiphino styles, and Aikido are all based off the idea that 'if it looks about the same, and serves the same purpose, it's the same technique'.
Filiphino styles are also based off drills, that are set up in similar ways. They are also based pretty heavily on using the hands, but after you learn it with a weapon. So, it'll feel a little backwards, for a while. Also, alot of Esrimadors are starting to include using the Wooden Dummy, ala Wing Chun.
Aikido is based on defending against a specific technique, in a specific way, until you have a deep understanding fo what you are doing, and are then show hundreds of variations. Just keep in mind, Aikido is designed so that you can modify the techniques to make them work for you. so, you would be allowed to modify your Aikido techniques to fit with your Wing Chun a little better. Not perfectly, but it will blend fairly well.

Personally, I think those groups of styles work well in blending. Not to mention a differnit line of Wing Chun. If you train in Moy Yat, you could learn Ting, Yip Man, or even go outside the Yip Man lines. Like Pan Nam, or Vietnamese.

tenth1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
tanizaki,
i am a fairly overweight person (about 280lbs) and yes like kamon guy i over indulge, i particularly like to drink a lot, however being fat does not mean that a person is an incompetent or in anyway physically weak, many of us fatties are able to present a significant challenge to any fighter i personally have been involved in many confrontations with people who thought they could pick on the fat guy only to discover that the sound of their jaw breaking is not a pleasant one.all i am really saying here is please dont judge people by their appearance or bodyweight such superficial things can often decieve

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
tenth1,
I know Tanizaki came off a little strong with the fat statements, and that's not cool. I've trained w/some big dudes myself and I know what people are capable of.

I will say that I don't want to walk into a kwoon/dojo/gym and see an abundance of overweight people. To me, it shows a serious lack of discipline (from what I've read, Bruce Lee also felt this way about training). One can't say these days that martial skills completely come down to technique ability; there are to many bullheaded wrestlers/hockey/football players out there to let conditioning to go to the wind.

Lastly, you being a big guy, I'm sure your a formidible opponent. But don't confuse size and brute force for martial arts ability.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Karate
Tae Kwon Do
Shaolin Chowga
Ging Mo Kune
Jeet Kune Do

Let me clarify these are arts that I have trained in pre Wing Chun, me personally i do not believe in cross training for reasons that I have stated elseswere on the forum

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Guys, I've recently been informed that the kung fu club in Omaha (kungfuomaha.com), is not the parent school of the Moy Yat Ving Tsun club that I've brought up for discussion.

With this said, I'd like to issue an apology to the club and everyone who's reading this post; I hope any slurs I might have made will not affect the club's or anyone else's reputation. Please form opinions based on your own observations.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Outside that, there are a few that would work well.
I disagree. There is a general consensus that wing chun never works well with karate, but I know a couple of people who have adpated wing chun and karate to work hand in hand and they pull it off well. So never say never.

Every Aikido person I have come across has never been able to defend themselves properly.
That is not to say Aikido is a rubbish art, but it is generally one I would not use to accompany wing chun

Muay Thai, BJJ and boxing work very well with wing chun, but I'm sure that most arts can be mixed

Latest Discussions