Moy Yat Ving Tsun

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Guys, this is pretty off the subject, but I have a question regarding wing chun's methods for dealing w/ a downed opponents - I've noticed that when a practitioner is performing one of this systems series of chain punches and their opponent goes to the ground the follow through seems to be to stoop over and continue punching the grounded foe.

Other systems (Tracy's Kenpo) would seem to work more on kicking techniques for grounded opponents. To me, this seems to make more sense seeing that you would be more flexible to face multiple attackers.

Could you give me some info on this matter? I'm sure there are alot more techniques that I don't know about.

Spartan

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Guys, this is pretty off the subject, but I have a question regarding wing chun's methods for dealing w/ a downed opponents - I've noticed that when a practitioner is performing one of this systems series of chain punches and their opponent goes to the ground the follow through seems to be to stoop over and continue punching the grounded foe.

Other systems (Tracy's Kenpo) would seem to work more on kicking techniques for grounded opponents. To me, this seems to make more sense seeing that you would be more flexible to face multiple attackers.

Could you give me some info on this matter? I'm sure there are alot more techniques that I don't know about.

Spartan

That call comes down to what type of person you are, I guess. If a person's down and doesn't want to get back up and pretty much submits right away, I would say just remain defensive. If they appear to try and get up again, and it feels like a threatening manner, just break their structure down and keep advance forward until they give up. Some people might say, "sit on their shoulders and chain punch their nose" :p Its all a call of character.

My use of WC isn't to beat the snot outta people, that just tends to be the end result. Its simply to get the opponent to submit. To me, anything beyond that isn't very rewarding and goes beyond the principle of efficiency.

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The chat about hooks and chokes is interesting, but can we bring it back to Moy Yat VT?

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The chat about hooks and chokes is interesting, but can we bring it back to Moy Yat VT?

Hi there again. The originating member that started this thread asked an additional question :

HAHA

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm going to concede as I am really really too ill to argue much. I know that there are definatley knee strijes in wing chun - they are efficient and don't seem to break any wing chun theories
As for everything else, I am willing to be open minded taht there are wing chun chokes etc. All I would say is, please be careful on other forums. A guy was on Martial Arts Planet talkig about this kind of stuff and got destroyed by non-wing chunners

As for the whole 'when your opponent is on the ground thing', brocklee was bang on the money. Kevin Chan often employs a knee on the chest and controlled chain paunching which makes it hard for the guy to counter. I personally love to use stamping, but this can be countered if the opponent is switched on (because your opponent is not pinned down)

Some people outside of wing chun like to use arm bars, but as it has already been suggested you want to keep mobile for any other attackers

The other alternative is to run away!! I am certainly not fit enough to outrun most people, so I'd rather control them.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm going to concede as I am really really too ill to argue much. I know that there are definatley knee strijes in wing chun - they are efficient and don't seem to break any wing chun theories
As for everything else, I am willing to be open minded taht there are wing chun chokes etc. All I would say is, please be careful on other forums. A guy was on Martial Arts Planet talkig about this kind of stuff and got destroyed by non-wing chunners

Who cares if e-thugs hop around and attempt to bash. You shouldn't limit what you're going to say because you're afraid of someone else's reaction. If someone wants to hop in here to stir up the nest, let em. They're the ones wasting their time to do so, and will just get brushed off by the normal users that are parked in this section of the forums. Not to mention the moderators here are pretty much on top of it when ever they notice something is taking a downward spiral.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Who cares if e-thugs hop around and attempt to bash. You shouldn't limit what you're going to say because you're afraid of someone else's reaction. If someone wants to hop in here to stir up the nest, let em. They're the ones wasting their time to do so, and will just get brushed off by the normal users that are parked in this section of the forums. Not to mention the moderators here are pretty much on top of it when ever they notice something is taking a downward spiral.
Yeah I didn't mean on here, I meant on the other forums. If you visit defend.net for example, you will find that wing chun is ridiculed. It's why I don't really look at it anymore!

Some arguments are fine, but a lot get personal.

I have no problem withe someone coming down to train and swap ideas, but you get a lot of idiots coming down, thinking they can outfight you etc, or that wing chun doesn't work. Certainly they soon find out it does work, but I shouldn't need to prove or defend it.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't mean on here, I meant on the other forums. If you visit defend.net for example, you will find that wing chun is ridiculed. It's why I don't really look at it anymore!

Some arguments are fine, but a lot get personal.

I have no problem withe someone coming down to train and swap ideas, but you get a lot of idiots coming down, thinking they can outfight you etc, or that wing chun doesn't work. Certainly they soon find out it does work, but I shouldn't need to prove or defend it.

I am afraid that rubbish has exsisted for centuries, although I know how frustrating it can be when someone rubbishes your style, I had someone rubbishing to my face, then to make matters worse he king hit me on the jaw then tried to grapple me. He soon found himself with his face in the flower pot, spitting dirt (if I was being humble I would say it was unfortunate, but it was bloody marvelous).

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've decided to go and check out/ train w/ the local Moy Yat Ving Tsun club (this is the one I was reffering to when I said the instructor's only had a few yrs. experience). The clubs parent school is based in Omaha and their website is www.kungfuomaha.com. Anybody heard of them?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am afraid that rubbish has exsisted for centuries, although I know how frustrating it can be when someone rubbishes your style, I had someone rubbishing to my face, then to make matters worse he king hit me on the jaw then tried to grapple me. He soon found himself with his face in the flower pot, spitting dirt (if I was being humble I would say it was unfortunate, but it was bloody marvelous).
Brilliant!
Yeah, even really good guys tend to get blasted. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone says silly things now and again but websites liek Bullshido and Martial arts Planet tend to stalk you until you slip up. I made one post and then never did it again!

I have seen people slag off Bruce Lee, even though they never met him etc
I find it ludicrous to judge a person or style when you have only seen them on TV or in a movie etc

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've decided to go and check out/ train w/ the local Moy Yat Ving Tsun club (this is the one I was reffering to when I said the instructor's only had a few yrs. experience). The clubs parent school is based in Omaha and their website is www.kungfuomaha.com. Anybody heard of them?

Dude! Thats the Kung Fu school my Sensei trained at! You can even see him, he's second from the left (punching) in the bottom pic. They are a good school. I geuss they don't update there home page too often, since my Sensei hasn't been able to train with them too much in about 2 years.
Anyways, if you want Spartan, feel free to drop my school. We train in Papillion, if you can get out to use.

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, tell me about this school. How do they stack up to other wing chun schools? Also, what worked well about wing chun for your Sensei?

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
If I had my choice, I would train in a wing chun school under either Randy Williams or Emin Boztepe's organization - everything I've seen/ read about these fellows seems to stress a serious focus on realistic street survival. Can anyone tell me more about these dudes?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I had my choice, I would train in a wing chun school under either Randy Williams or Emin Boztepe's organization - everything I've seen/ read about these fellows seems to stress a serious focus on realistic street survival. Can anyone tell me more about these dudes?
I've only seen clips of Emin, but it was enough to get me interested in him. He is quite famous for the whole vs. William Cheung thing, but I have a clip of him doing chi sao on my phone!

As for Randy Williams, I have his books which are very comprehensive, but to be honest it doesn't look very street orientated.

Are you in the US? UK?

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I live in the US dude, St. Louis MO to be exact. The only people around town who study wc is that Moy Yat Ving Tsun study group I was talking about.
I'm a little skeptical about the whole affair to be honest. While it's true that you can't judge a school by their website, I feel you can get a slight feel for their training. From what I've seen, these guys don't have that hard edge I'm looking for (I come from a background of bjj/sambo/muay thai, so I'm used to going all out). Comments?

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I live in the US dude, St. Louis MO to be exact. The only people around town who study wc is that Moy Yat Ving Tsun study group I was talking about.
I'm a little skeptical about the whole affair to be honest. While it's true that you can't judge a school by their website, I feel you can get a slight feel for their training. From what I've seen, these guys don't have that hard edge I'm looking for (I come from a background of bjj/sambo/muay thai, so I'm used to going all out). Comments?

All out doesn't sound too efficient. Why would you want to mix that with WC?

OP
S

Spartan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not saying all out is always the answer. I do, however, think a martial artists needs to go full contact now and then so they can maintain a sense of reality.

When I see some people train, I feel theirs a lack of discipline (for me, a certain degree of rigidity is a good thing). I know that street fights are unkind and if you fluff your training, you'll fold in the encounter.

That's just how I feel.

Spartan

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not saying all out is always the answer. I do, however, think a martial artists needs to go full contact now and then so they can maintain a sense of reality.

When I see some people train, I feel theirs a lack of discipline (for me, a certain degree of rigidity is a good thing). I know that street fights are unkind and if you fluff your training, you'll fold in the encounter.

That's just how I feel.

Spartan

I see what you're saying. I agree. When you said "all out", I thought you we're speaking of a rampage mode. Just dumpin energy. Cool, thanks for explainin.

SpArTaHhHhH!!!

Tanizaki

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I train in Moy Yat VT. I don't know about the school you linked, but I think MYVT is a good system.

I would agree that from their website, it doesn't seem to have a "hard edge". The classroom seems so clean and sterile to me. Ours can sometimes feel downright grungy; we're there to work hard. What I immediately noticed what the pictures of a fat woman doing drills and forms. We have neither fat people nor women in my school, at least that I have ever seen. When I see fat people in a martial arts class, I have trouble taking the school seriously. (this rule does not apply to sumo stables) Same if there's a lot of women. Sorry, but that's just how I feel about it. Lastly, no one is sweating. At my school, after a two hour class, we can wring our shirts and make decent sized puddles on the pavement outside.

I would suggest checking out the school and maybe do a month or so to get the feel of it, as they have no contract.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train in Moy Yat VT. I don't know about the school you linked, but I think MYVT is a good system.

I would agree that from their website, it doesn't seem to have a "hard edge". The classroom seems so clean and sterile to me. Ours can sometimes feel downright grungy; we're there to work hard. What I immediately noticed what the pictures of a fat woman doing drills and forms. We have neither fat people nor women in my school, at least that I have ever seen. When I see fat people in a martial arts class, I have trouble taking the school seriously. (this rule does not apply to sumo stables) Same if there's a lot of women. Sorry, but that's just how I feel about it. Lastly, no one is sweating. At my school, after a two hour class, we can wring our shirts and make decent sized puddles on the pavement outside.

I would suggest checking out the school and maybe do a month or so to get the feel of it, as they have no contract.

mmm... I'll leave the fat-phobia and sexism alone. However, the pics taken done in the first 5 minutes of class.

Latest Discussions