Moving into an attack?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you ever move into an attack? Try to stop it before it develops? I have an idea I want to try but I wanted to ask if it was even wise to attempt?

Think closed stance (both people with left side forward, for convenience). Person A throws a rear leg roundhouse. Person B counters by slide stepping forward and to their left..into the path of the kick, bringing the left arm down into a downblock to stop the kick before it develops and extends. B then punches with the right hand into A's chest/hogu. Other than stopping the attack and getting in a shot, this should unbalance A and give B a chance to pushkick or sidekick A back even further.

What you say? Wise to come into an attack? Or foolish?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely you can move into the attack!

What you've just described is a "cover punch." If you "crowd" the attacking limb before it has had a chance to accelerate, you've prevented your opponent from hitting you with the intended weapon.

I don't know the correct physics terms, but you are essentially preventing the motion at the axis...the farther away from the axis (the hip in your example) the more speed (i.e. the foot is moving faster than the hip) which means more power is needed to block it.

Miles

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A very good idea, this is how I usually spar and it works very well. I spend most of my time circling my opponent. If he attacks or I bait him and he attacks in such a way that I can not quickly close in at a good angle, I will circle away from him. When I finally get the angle I want to counter his attack I will rush in to jam the kick before it fully extends and use repeated hand strikes to score the point.

The important things to remember is;

1.) This takes a lot of practice to get the timing down. More than a few times I have misjudged the angle of a kick when I went in for a counter-attack and found myself bleeding down my uniform.

2.) You don't need to low block that round kick. Just drop your body down slightly as you move in. Not only will this allow you to cover more of your body easier,u are also lowering your center of gravity for point #3. Just remember, getting kicked in the shoulder does NOT give your opponent a point, so why open yourself up with a block when your arm is capable of withstanding a half-way executed round kick? (In point sparring)

3.) When you block their kick before it is fully executed, they will probably lose their balance. Make sure you continue with your forward momentum while striking the entire time or else they will be able to recover and counter attack.

In your example, my opponent starts to throw a round kick. I keep my hands up and elbows down as I slightly lower my body and slide in. My opponent's shin hits the outside of my arm and he loses balance as I start attacking his torso while continuing to move forward. Since one leg is in the air, he has no where to go, but down.

Sorry to use so many words, but in short: Yes, that idea works well. It will take a lot of work to perfect though.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Moving into an attack as like life...timing is everything. If you're capable of reading your opponent's intent and if you are quick enough you can move into their range before they strike and set yourself up for a block/counter. It will definitely keep your opponent off balance and throw their timing off.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Moving into an attack as like life...timing is everything. If you're capable of reading your opponent's intent and if you are quick enough you can move into their range before they strike and set yourself up for a block/counter. It will definitely keep your opponent off balance and throw their timing off.
All I would say is get yourself a sparring partner, and pratice pratice pratice all the way! Especially timing because that a &*T^*

Regards

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Do you ever move into an attack? Try to stop it before it develops? I have an idea I want to try but I wanted to ask if it was even wise to attempt?

Think closed stance (both people with left side forward, for convenience). Person A throws a rear leg roundhouse. Person B counters by slide stepping forward and to their left..into the path of the kick, bringing the left arm down into a downblock to stop the kick before it develops and extends. B then punches with the right hand into A's chest/hogu. Other than stopping the attack and getting in a shot, this should unbalance A and give B a chance to pushkick or sidekick A back even further.

What you say? Wise to come into an attack? Or foolish?

As its been said here already, the majority of it comes down to timing. Unfortunately, developing good timing is not something thats going to happen overnight, as it takes time..(pun intended :ultracool ) to get good at this!!

The principle of this can apply to SD as well as sparring. We can break down an attack into three parts:

1- Before

2- During

3- After

If you see the attack coming it is possible to move in and jam/counter the attack, be it a kick or punch. Being able to watch for body movement is also key. No matter how one stands, there will always be a slight weight shift when throwing a kick or punch. Its at that time, that you need to react.

As for blocking. Again, it is possible to get your own attack off before the other person without you even having to block.

Having good footwork is also key here.

This is something that again, will not happen overnight. Work your sparring, timing drills, etc. with a partner at a slow pace to start off. Get familiar with the movement, etc. and then gradually build up speed.

Good luck!! :asian:

Mike

Grubic

White Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Do you ever move into an attack? Try to stop it before it develops?
Two words "Push Kick" It was my favorite weapon when someone tries to attack you. Didn't matter if it was the front or back leg. The push kick would have them flying across the room without much effort if you timed it right.

Grubic.

Latest Discussions