Movie Season 2013

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While not a global 2013 release I guess, Ip Man 3 in 3D was something I was very much looking forward to. However a spat between Raymond Wong and Wilson Yip has resulted in Donnie Yen pulling out. Due to the great friendship btween WY and DY, it is unlikely a return will materialise. Who will play Ip Man is interesting, but the film will not be the same. Shame that ego's are not confined to Hollywood.

Saw a promo for Ip Man at the theater this weekend, so some variation is scheduled for release.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Saw RED 2 tonight...good one for red box or cable. Not a bad movie, just not worth paying the full freight for...

Soooo...Superman and Batman...that will be tough to beat in the summer of 2015...

I am a big fan of the Willis/Malcovic duo. It was definitely worth the matinee price and I enjoyed the larger screen but it wouldn't lose much in your home "theater".

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Saw "The Wolverine," and it was okay.

spoilers...

-It didn't use the ninja very well...no real fight between Logan and the passle of ninja.

Don't know why the guy wanted the grandaughter...

Agree about the ninjas. I did enjoy the Asian style portrayal of the fight scenes.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive never been a big movie guy but I cant wait for this one to come out

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is interesting to me that with all the heroic stories that have come out of the two theaters in this war, the only movies that seem to get made are our guys getting beaten to a pulp. Even Jake Tapper, who is probably one of only a few real journalists left, wrote a book about the attack on a forward operation base that was devestated in an attack. I'm not saying this story and Tapper's story don't contain great heroism...because they both do. The problem is that there are all kinds of heroic stories from the war effort (Go to Michael Yon's site and you can find them ) and yet...the only movies made in this war are about our guys getting beaten and barely surviving. Kind of sick in it's own way. It would be nice if once in a great while, the radical islamist terrorists could be shown to get their asses handed to them the way they are in most encounters with our troops.

The one I can think of off the top of my head would be Zero Dark Thirty, and that was meant to help in the election...

It does look like a good film though...

For example...it would be nice to see a movie about our special forces who fought on horseback against the taliban in the opening days of the Afghan war...now that would make for a good movie...

Tommy83

White Belt
Reaction score
Was Pacific Rim worth the money or would you wait for redbox or netflix...?

I would recommend seeing it on a big screen, but at matinee price. My boy and I saw it on a Saturday afternoon and it was a fun outing. Not sure I would have been as pleased at full ride price. Visual effects were amazing, story pretty predictable. I was hoping for a little more at the end - but overall a good flick and one worth watching.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is interesting to me that with all the heroic stories that have come out of the two theaters in this war, the only movies that seem to get made are our guys getting beaten to a pulp. Even Jake Tapper, who is probably one of only a few real journalists left, wrote a book about the attack on a forward operation base that was devestated in an attack. I'm not saying this story and Tapper's story don't contain great heroism...because they both do. The problem is that there are all kinds of heroic stories from the war effort (Go to Michael Yon's site and you can find them ) and yet...the only movies made in this war are about our guys getting beaten and barely surviving. Kind of sick in it's own way. It would be nice if once in a great while, the radical islamist terrorists could be shown to get their asses handed to them the way they are in most encounters with our troops.

The one I can think of off the top of my head would be Zero Dark Thirty, and that was meant to help in the election...

It does look like a good film though...

For example...it would be nice to see a movie about our special forces who fought on horseback against the taliban in the opening days of the Afghan war...now that would make for a good movie...
I believe they are making a movie about Chris Kyle I just hope they don't screw it up. I know Marcus was very active in making lone survivor so it should be good but with Kyles death I'm not sure who's going to supervise his movie to keep it accurate

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw Kick *** 2 today...wait for it to be on cable, and when you have run out of other reruns to watch then you can click on it as you are moving on to other things to click on. There was actually a really good movie buried somewhere in this movie...it just couldn't get out because the director and writers couldn't get past their immaturity, and lousy story telling. Jim Carey technically wasn't bad...considering I thought he was going to be pretty bad in it...but they wasted his story. They forced the nonexistent romance and so didn't have any real romance in it...although that one character who was with the main character was quite fetching in a wild sort of way.

Save your money...even your 1.75 at red box and wait for this one on cable...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'll be taking my teenagers to see it. I'll let you know what I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually quite enjoyed Kick *** 2, it was fairly faithful to the comic, so unfortunately Jim Carey's character is probably in it as much as he was meant to. They did steer away from some of the more unsavory aspects of the comic (off-panel rape for example was made fun of in the movie but still a little unpleasent) and they did change the ending to be a little more of the happy ending that the comic does not have.

Overall I think they missed the point a little bit as it doesn't revel in the consequences of the 'super heroes' or 'super villians' as much as the first one, but still a fairly good action flick which is different from the normal superhero films,. Yep, I liked it, but then I do love the comics and the film is, as mentioned, relatively faithful to them.

Latest Discussions