Movie Season 2013

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Went to see Now You See Me on Saturday. A fun movie. I went in with very low expectations based upon the reviews and was pleasantly surprised.

I skipped it because of the reviews but my wife and daughter went and they really liked it.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Man of Steel. It was okay, and I guess good enough to get another shot at making a better movie. If you really like superman, you might want to see it at the theater, but waiting for Redbox or Netflix wouldn't be a bad choice. It is funny to say that the various trailers packed more emotional impact than most of the actual movie. The cast was good, the story was too broken up by flashbacks, and certain choices drained emotional impact from important scenes. They didn't resolve the Zod problem in a way that didn't leave you asking a rather obvious question.

I'll post later with more discussion and spoilers.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw world war Z, over the holiday. Not bad, actually. If you waited to see it on Netflix or redbox it wouldn't be a bad way to go. he movie was interesting and Brad Pitt was good, as he usually is.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Saw This is the End yesterday and for an over the top film that is quite frankly very silly I found myself laughing along pretty much all the way through. Great funny film, just don't go expecting too much though.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same here--I laughed all the way through it but it was somehow less than the sum of its parts.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Saw RED 2 tonight...good one for red box or cable. Not a bad movie, just not worth paying the full freight for...

Soooo...Superman and Batman...that will be tough to beat in the summer of 2015...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excited about that, yeah--and they also said there'd be The Flash with some other JLAer. Meanwhile, Avengers 2: Age of Ultron!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While not a global 2013 release I guess, Ip Man 3 in 3D was something I was very much looking forward to. However a spat between Raymond Wong and Wilson Yip has resulted in Donnie Yen pulling out. Due to the great friendship btween WY and DY, it is unlikely a return will materialise. Who will play Ip Man is interesting, but the film will not be the same. Shame that ego's are not confined to Hollywood.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Saw "The Wolverine," and it was okay.

spoilers...

-It didn't use the ninja very well...no real fight between Logan and the passle of ninja.

Don't know why the guy wanted the grandaughter...

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know it would make for a boring movie...but wouldn't Wolverines basic attack be to take whatever the guy is swinging at him across his regenerative skin and adamatium clad bones...and just stick him with his claws? It seems like he wouldn't need to duck anything and could just wade in.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably could do it that way, but after all it still hurts, so I suppose he would try to fight sensibly to try and minimise the pain, even if ultimately the enemy could not actually kill him outright.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was pretty good--the effects might be worth seeing it on a larger screen. Much better than you'd expect.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you really liked the old mech anime cartoons, you have to see pacific rim on the bug screen. The acting is over the top. The plot is paper thin. But it is exactly what you want if you're a fan of that genre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a fun, cool, exciting film with a fairly predictable plot then Pacific Rim is great!

I would go and see it again!!!

I mean who doesn't like Giant Robots and Monsters! ;)

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I grew up with Godzilla, (of course ) Gamera, Johnny Soko and his Giant Robot, as well as Goldar, Silvar, and Gam...and Methusalah of course...and the Lugo men...so maybe I'll check it out in the theater...thanks for the reviews...