Movie season 2012 about to begin...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, movie season is about to begin. In fact, it really starts May 4 with the release of the Avengers. This week we have two place holders Lockdown, and Cabin in the woods, which seem to have some pretty good reviews. Hunger games was a good movie and I won't be seeing the 3 stooges. Is Superman out this summer or is it a Christmas or next summer release? Do you think this season is a promising one or will it be destroyed by poorly executed movies that had great potential? The Dark Knight Rises, will it be able to keep up with the The Dark Knight? Will people even be able to understand Bain when he talks?

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
YEAH BABY!!!!
ITS DA BEST TIME OF THE YEAR FOR MOVIES!!!!!!

I think Transformers is suppose to drop this summer too.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YEAH BABY!!!!
ITS DA BEST TIME OF THE YEAR FOR MOVIES!!!!!!

I think Transformers is suppose to drop this summer too.

On February 13, 2012, producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura confirmed that a fourth film was being pursued, aiming for release in 2014. Michael Bay later confirmed his involvement with June 27, 2014 as a fixed release date by Paramount.[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP][SUP][13][/SUP] With the series heading in the direction of a reboot, Di Bonaventura insisted that the fourth film will not be a reboot but an evolution. He said:
&#8220;Again, it's a hybrid because it's a funny thing. I'm not involved with 'Spider Man' but what I perceive 'Spider Man' to be is just a redoing of the whole thing. It's not, it's an evolution. There's still continuity that's going on, yet there will be a lot of new cast. Whether there's nobody from the first cast, we don't even know yet. The trust is it's going to be a new story. The characters that certainly come along areOptimus and Bumblebee. I'm sure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_(film_series)#Future

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah the F-ed up on Spider-Man. So now they wanna do it ova.
These directors and producers need to be shot!
They lucky this aint a dictatorship. LOL!!!!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Basically dunno why they started doing do-overs or re-visualizations or re-boot or whatever... they're friggin remakes and don't need to be done... at least until another generation has had a chance to appreciate them... just like we appreciate (well, ok not all of us :rolleyes: ) the old movies from the 30's, 40's and 50's many which were quite good because they cared about story lines more than $$, though with Hollywood it's always has been and will be about the money... but there are a few directors/producers and (m/f) actors who do care about the story as well. Some have even cared so much that they forgone their usual salary, just to see the project done. Good example of this was Lord Of The Rings trilogy where Jackson, (strongly) encouraged by fans to do expansions on each of the films and the actors not taking anymore than what they've been paid for already (I think). Either way, it was more work and in some cases harder work than what was done previously. For that the entire production is to be given kudos.

The only ones I'd be (really) interested in seeing are; "The Hobbit", "Dark Knight Rises", and the "Avengers". As for the others... well, DVD is worth waiting for.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would disagree on hollywood being just about the money...but that would be for the study. As one film critic put it, I don't remember which one, most of these directors don't go to film school to make Hop, or any number of high grossing kid movies. They go to make films that have "meaning," and sometimes they get lucky and make some money. Of course you have Steven Spielberg and Lucas and the like but think of Woody Allen. His movies don't make much money, yet someone still ponies up the cash to make them. For a further discussion of all the movies that are made, knowing they won't make money, but they are made anyway, we would need to continue on the Study Thread...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Avengers rocked! I NEVER go see a movie twice in the theater, and I am going to try to hit it tonight again. Joss Whedon did it right.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just got back from the Avengers and I have to say it was a really good movie. A great start to movie season. Next week, Dark Shadows....

(Oh, and thanks for the respect to christians and the U.S. Joss Whedon, it was a nice change...)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Summer movie seasons? Pfft. It's all about fall DVD season!

My favorite thing with the summer movies really are watching them all on DVD at home when they are all released. Anybody remember summer 4 years ago? Iron Man, then TDK then The Hulk in the space of a couple weeks.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the movie I am keen to see this year:

[yt]WiguOy5ZFks[/yt]

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Summer movie seasons? Pfft. It's all about fall DVD season!

My favorite thing with the summer movies really are watching them all on DVD at home when they are all released. Anybody remember summer 4 years ago? Iron Man, then TDK then The Hulk in the space of a couple weeks.

Stop bein cheap and lame!!!

Like Mayweather said..."get out there and get paid!!"

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like watching movies at home as well, but nothing really beats going out to the movie theater, getting some really expensive food items and forgetting about the outside world for about 2 hours. Sitting at home, with the phone ringing and pets and other distractions isn't the same experience. True, if you have jerks in the audience the theater thing can be ruined, but you can always wait a bit and see it the second or third week out.

Mark Ruffalo did a good job as Bruce Banner. He was sort of fidgety and distracted, as that kind of situation would have a tendency to put you out of sorts.

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
We generally wait for movies to come to HBO/Starz/Blu-Ray, but I did see Hunger Games recently in the theaters and I *really* want to go and see the Avengers.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also plan to go see the Avengers again in the movie theater and that is something I've done only twice before. I really enjoyed this movie. Great action with a handful of funny parts. Can't recommend this movie more as entertainment.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We generally wait for movies to come to HBO/Starz/Blu-Ray, but I did see Hunger Games recently in the theaters and I *really* want to go and see the Avengers.
I saw the trailer for Hunger Games and I wasnt impressed.
I really didnt see what the big deal was.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So far I have seen The Avengers, Dark Shadows and Men in Black 3...the results so far...

The Avengers, see it at the theater in Imax 3D.
Dark Shadows and Men in Black 3, good red box or netflix rentals.

July will be a big month with Spiderman and the Dark Knight Rises.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chernobyl Diaries...not bad for a movie, of course blatantly stupid actions by the victims, and a good red box movie to discuss with friends.

Prometheus...great visuals...wait for cable...story was way off, he Ang Lee'd the film...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Prometheus...great visuals...wait for cable...story was way off, he Ang Lee'd the film...

Noooooooo! I am so very disappointed to hear that :(. I can only hope that there is a Director's cut that will serve to put right the flaws ... or is it beyond that?

Latest Discussions