Movie about an Aircraft Carrier

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I saw the previews for this movie:
http://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/
It looks like it will be a very good movie. It is free to watch on tv. It is about an Aircraft Carrier in the US Navy. It gets to be freaking 140 F on the deck!

If you ever wished to see what a carrier is like and did not serve in the Navy, now is your chance.

Topeng

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nice. I've got a buddy on that ship. A few years ago Discovery did a special on the USS Abraham Lincoln when I was onboard.
They really are impressive but lose their luster after having to live on one...or two.(Was on the USS Ronald Reagan too)
If the special leaves you with any questions, just let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks, Topeng.

I have a buddy who was at sea with the US Navy. I showed him the link and he told me that real sailors are on the Fast Frigates (that is what he did), but of course, he is just saying that, no one can doubt that the boatswain mate is the real sailor, no matter what vessel they are on.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. The sailors are all so young, with only a few people above the age of 20 on the ship. My friend has told me about being at sea, and how incredibly hard it can be at times! He said its like being in prison. Once you are at sea, that's it. You are there.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The history channel has a program dedicated to the USS Enterprise (the carrier not starship) and will be offering 360 degree views of it's battles at Midway and other WWII battlegrounds.
Life on a carrier must be interesting indeed as with a minimum crew of 5000 people that's quite a number to house, feed, work and play together on a relatively confined space, and that every single one of them is at risk from an attack upon the ship.

navyvetcv60

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Topeng.

I have a buddy who was at sea with the US Navy. I showed him the link and he told me that real sailors are on the Fast Frigates (that is what he did), but of course, he is just saying that, no one can doubt that the boatswain mate is the real sailor, no matter what vessel they are on.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. The sailors are all so young, with only a few people above the age of 20 on the ship. My friend has told me about being at sea, and how incredibly hard it can be at times! He said its like being in prison. Once you are at sea, that's it. You are there.

I must disagree, Boatswain Mates are just glorified paint chippers. The real Sailors are the Engineers, the guys who make the propellers turn.