most useless

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simple flying jumping sidekick, like your opponet is just going to stand there while you come running at him and jump with that foot going right at him, please the movies are great but this kick is worthless and yet it get tought by everyone except me but my students learn it from vido games and movies.

If they move to your outside you can follow them with your kick, they move, they think they have avoided the kick and you still get them. I have seen it and done it many times. The best way to do one is to run normally and then, without warning, suddenly jump and kick, that way they just think you are running at them and not going to kick. A lot of students, when learning the kick will often make some unusual steps just before jumping which gives it away until they know better. Some possible uses could be if you have to clear an object on the ground to kick someone attacking someone you are trying to protect while their not looking. Also if you are getting chased by someone and his friend jumps out in front of you to block your path you can kick them with it and continue on your way, barely missing a step. That's why they are taught to everyone.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last year at state one of my green belts landed a 2 step jump side to his opponent and knocked him out of the ring. No point but it was 2nd kyungo in overtime so got the win.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Simple flying jumping sidekick, like your opponet is just going to stand there while you come running at him and jump with that foot going right at him, please the movies are great but this kick is worthless and yet it get tought by everyone except me but my students learn it from vido games and movies.

Sir -- Agree it's not the best kick, but I'm not quite sure it's that useless I think steve Lopez -- on his way to winning 5 world championships -- has used variatios of the jumping/flying side kick to great effect. I think you'll see some of that in this video --

Last edited by a moderator:

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey, look! A vid about bandal chagi do!
Hahaha. Just kidding. There are excellent athletes there but I couldn't resist after watching for a couple if minutes lol.
Would you point out at what time we see the jumping side kicks? It would be great to see them, but I just don't seem to be able to watch the whole vid!

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk 4

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would say, any heel kick that kicks with the ball of the foot instead of the heel and the rapid fire turning kicks, such as in the video below, that keep 'turning up' in TKD demo's, they have no power and waste a lot of unnecessary energy for little return.

I don't think they're useless. I heard they do score many points! :-D

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say, any heel kick that kicks with the ball of the foot instead of the heel and the rapid fire turning kicks, such as in the video below, that keep 'turning up' in TKD demo's, they have no power and waste a lot of unnecessary energy for little return.

Those kicks have little power when done incorrectly. You can hit pretty hard if you do it right.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk 2

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Would you point out at what time we see the jumping side kicks? It would be great to see them, but I just don't seem to be able to watch the whole vid!

As I said, variations -- 1:12, 1:42, 3:37, 4:19, and 8:30

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
True but what's good for scoring points is not necessarily good for self defence.

When it comes to self-defense, the variety of kicking techniques drops radically and not only the fanciest ones become bad ideas. Even very popular sparring techniques like the round kick and its variations (shin, instep, snap back, etc.) represent less safe and effective options (not surprisingly, the round kick itself isn't included in older karate forms that influenced modern taekwondo forms).

In my self-defense repertoire I would keep only the most basic techniques and their variations (that includes a wide set of useful responses to attacks called "makki" or "blocks" in taekwondo), so the kicking techniques would be very few. Should I say everything else is useless?

Maybe I didn't get the idea of the thread, but I thought it was about techniques useless in every kind of situation (including sport). If techniques not useful for self-defense should be included in the "useless label", then the list should be far bigger than jumping kicks or other fancy stuff. The difference between sport is bigger than most practitioners notice (not saying that most people here don't understand the difference, but we know quite a few don't, indeed).

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As I said, variations -- 1:12, 1:42, 3:37, 4:19, and 8:30

Just saw a few reasonable uses of variations of jumping side kick. Point for those who say it's not useless. :thumbup: (Whoever doubts should check the vid by themselves).

And yes, if we're only talking about self-defense, it's a whole different talk.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When it comes to self-defense, the variety of kicking techniques drops radically and not only the fanciest ones become bad ideas. Even very popular sparring techniques like the round kick and its variations (shin, instep, snap back, etc.) represent less safe and effective options (not surprisingly, the round kick itself isn't included in older karate forms that influenced modern taekwondo forms).

In my self-defense repertoire I would keep only the most basic techniques and their variations (that includes a wide set of useful responses to attacks called "makki" or "blocks" in taekwondo), so the kicking techniques would be very few. Should I say everything else is useless?

Maybe I didn't get the idea of the thread, but I thought it was about techniques useless in every kind of situation (including sport). If techniques not useful for self-defense should be included in the "useless label", then the list should be far bigger than jumping kicks or other fancy stuff. The difference between sport is bigger than most practitioners notice (not saying that most people here don't understand the difference, but we know quite a few don't, indeed).

[Bold emphasis added]

I meant "The difference between sport and self-defense is bigger than most practitioners notice".
(I actually meant this to be an edit to the previous post, but my mobile apparently created a whole new post, so I had to come to PC fix this as I could. lol)

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I use to tell someone that I thought that the outside cresent kick was useless. But maybe I haven't found a good proper use for it yet and please dont come at me with to block a punch. I hate one steps with move in it. Although my instructor says you may use it to drop the front hand of your op guard but haven't done that while sparring either. Even the jump spin outside cresent kick is more useless unless your op runs into it.

Now If we are talking about self-defense then we must ask what is more dependable. I would say round, side, back, and front kicks are more dependable than anything with a jump, a spin, or a jump spin kick. Unlike Sopraisso I do believe the mawashi-geri or dollyo chagi is a good weapon to use. The groin would be excellent target for a simple round kick.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The joy of outside crescent for sport is that you can use a front leg outside crescent with a step, to bring the kicking leg up behind your opponent's shoulder where they can't see it coming, then whap them across the face with it.

The disadvantage is this approach leaves you open to a back kick counter if they do see it coming.

For SD purposes, a motion similar to outside crescent but lower makes a leg sweep.

I don't think there are any useless kicks. They all teach something.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The joy of outside crescent for sport is that you can use a front leg outside crescent with a step, to bring the kicking leg up behind your opponent's shoulder where they can't see it coming, then whap them across the face with it.

The disadvantage is this approach leaves you open to a back kick counter if they do see it coming.

For SD purposes, a motion similar to outside crescent but lower makes a leg sweep.

I don't think there are any useless kicks. They all teach something.

I never seen the outside cresent as a sweep but I have seen the inside crsesent for sweeps like in moon moo pattern. Guess I have got more studying to do in understanding the kicks in TKD.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MY useless kick is the tornado kick - it's too slow and too rigid in terms of required target location. I get envious when I see people do it well. My right leg spinning hook kick is also too slow, so I am working on getting that to be as good as the left leg, then I'll move on to tornado.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
MY useless kick is the tornado kick - it's too slow and too rigid in terms of required target location. I get envious when I see people do it well. My right leg spinning hook kick is also too slow, so I am working on getting that to be as good as the left leg, then I'll move on to tornado.

If you are talking about the 540 spinning turning kick, I find that particularly hard on my back.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think by "540" , people mean that the kicker is landing on the kicking leg. I am talking about turning to your back with a spin, doing a round house, and landing on the non kicking leg first.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Can the spinning leg sweep (like a spinning hook kick, but done crouched to the ground) ever work?? That seems like the most useless kick to me. I have seen it done in martial arts practice, but never against an actual opponent.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can the spinning leg sweep (like a spinning hook kick, but done crouched to the ground) ever work?? That seems like the most useless kick to me. I have seen it done in martial arts practice, but never against an actual opponent.

Yea that would be hard to pull off.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It can absolutely work, especially against an inexperienced kicker.

I think the most impractical kick I've ever been encouraged to attempt is back-stepped twisting kick.

Gnarlie

Latest Discussions