Most Memorable Kenpo Moments

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am sure everyone has numerous times when they go "Ah-Ha" or "Wow" in their Kenpo careers.

How about sharing one of those moments - and rather than just thinking about an "Ah-Ha" or "Cool", or "Wow", how about an actual DEFINING MOMENT in the context of your Kenpo, as inspired by someone else?

We can all use some inspiration sometimes, and sharing that sometimes gives others a boost on in their Journey.

Thanks, -MB

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
going to the Long Beach Internationals for the first time was one of my most memorable experiences. You got to see good kenpo..and bad.

OP
Michael Billings

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Chinese Kenpo, I was attending a NCKKA Kenpo Camp circa 1980 or 81. I had done Judo, Shotokan, and Taekwondo, and just a year or two before seen Brian Duffy doing a saber set at a tournament and sweeping the competition. That was why I moved from TKD to Kenpo ... Not being in a Kenpo mecca, I had very limited exposure to Kenpo and none at all to EPAK. At this camp were all sorts of classes. We were introduced to SIBOK Kelly as the Senior Advisor to the NCKKA from the IKKA. I had no idea what that meant!

I saw this truely huge and formidible mountain of a man, rip, tear, and explode in the most relaxed way I had ever seen anyone move (He was only a 7th back then .... Hah!) He did sweeps, checks, introduced buckles and sweeps I had never seen. Turned simple techniques into awesome extensions that were about the power through moving correctly. I did not even know how much I did not know. But I saw where and how I wanted to be.

It only took another 5-6 years before my teacher switched from Chinese to American Kenpo, and I have never looked back ... well maybe a little. I still like sharp, shiny blades.

P

pknox

My Kempo instructor wanted me to go with him to help out at a kids tournament. When I go to compete in a tournament of my own, a lot of times I get hung up on tiny details, and am basically running around trying to get everything together. But with the kids, it was totally different. I loved it - the kids were having such a great time, and the parents were so proud of their kids - whether they won or not. It really showed me what martial arts could do for people. I told myself that from that moment on I would stop worrying about all of the little things, and learn as much as I can, while still having as much fun as I can. I've never been the same. It's amazing what kids can teach you if you're just willing to listen.

OP
Michael Billings

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great story, it is different when you are there caring for, and proud of, your Kenpo Kids. You feel their pain, share their excitement, and cushion their losses.

OSS!!!
Respects!

P

pknox

Thanks Michael. I think it will be even more fun if it's ever my own son and daughters out there. That will be pretty cool.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The first time I watched a Larry Tatum video.

I was like, ahh, so that's the difference between being shown a technique and taught a technique then....maybe I'd be a better kempoka today if I'd been taught for 6 years instead of shown for 6 years...

Ian "drunk and bitter" Atkinson

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
DEFINING MOMENTS

When I left the nest (moved away from Austin and the NCKKA) and started training with another Kenpo instructor. I remember gearing up and getting into a "good" fighting stance. His reply was, "ok, I haven't seen that stance in a while let's rock". Then he proceeded to school me..

Making a trip to LA and meeting Doc Chape'l (and Mr. Tatum). That connection opened my eyes.

Seeing my first video with Mr. Parker actually in action. At that point I knew there was more...

Beginning my training with Mr. Braughton (took me to another level)

Beginning my privates with Mr. Duffy (showed me just how much I really don't know)...

There are other private ones in training (some good/some bad) that have defined how I teach, treat people, train, etc....

jb:asian:

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The time in '82 when I attended a seminar featuring Professor William K.S. Chow at Ralph Castro's school in Daly City. I was so overwhelmed by being in the presence of someone who was such a large part of Kenpo history that I went through the seminar in a semi-daze. At least I didn't actually fall on something. :D

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
going to the Long Beach Internationals for the first time was one of my most memorable experiences. You got to see good kenpo..and bad.

Same here.
I was also able to meet Mr. Parker that same year Now that was a pleasure to have him take a few minutes to speak with me , a nobody in the kenpo wold.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking with Mr. Wedlake after my 1st degree BB test on my performance during the test. :asian:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jbkenpo
DEFINING MOMENTS

When I left the nest (moved away from Austin and the NCKKA) and started training with another Kenpo instructor. I remember gearing up and getting into a "good" fighting stance. His reply was, "ok, I haven't seen that stance in a while let's rock". Then he proceeded to school me..

Making a trip to LA and meeting Doc Chape'l (and Mr. Tatum). That connection opened my eyes.

Seeing my first video with Mr. Parker actually in action. At that point I knew there was more...

Beginning my training with Mr. Braughton (took me to another level)

Beginning my privates with Mr. Duffy (showed me just how much I really don't know)...

There are other private ones in training (some good/some bad) that have defined how I teach, treat people, train, etc....

Oh, it's on now. You said, "Some bad training." I know you been talkin' bout me. It 's Corpus vs Houston!:boxing:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
Oh, it's on now. You said, "Some bad training." I know you been talkin' bout me. It 's Corpus vs Houston!:boxing:

Actually, that was a good session. Maybe not a defining moment, but my first chance to run a session away from my guys. It did teach me a lot and gave me more confidence to do it again. The one thing I did come away with was, "man, I need a TV like Richardo..." What was that thing, theater size?

I was referring to those b,s and t sessions where your **** is in the dirt and your being treated like crap and worked to death...you know that character building stuff that no body ever mentions...

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Realizing that spending a life time training and learning is not enough and will only touch the tip of the iceberg.

Makes me hope for reincarnation. ;)

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I saw Larry Tatum's video "Walls of Defense"...I knew I'd be doing Kenpo for the rest of my life.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I remember the first time I saw someone teaching Ed Parker's American Kenpo System. I was walking down Green Street through Old Town Pasadena on my way to the United Artist Movie Theater on the corner of Colorado Boulevard and Delacy Avenue. It was cold outside, and I was running a little late for the show.

When I was walking up the street, I looked over my left shoulder, and through the main window of Larry Tatum's Kenpo Karate Studio I saw Rick Jeffcoat teaching a private lesson to a student. At that very moment I knew that I wanted to learn American Kenpo.

I was enamored by the way Rick moved. His movements were fast and hard, yet fluid and on target. I even remember the techniques he taught that night, which were: Five Swords, Thundering Hammers, and Thrusting Salute.

When I left, my mind was running at a thousand miles an hour, with one thought burning me to my core... How could I afford sign-up? Later on that week I talked to my mom and dad, who loaned me the money to take lessons at Mr. Tatum's studio. That was ten years ago, and I've been hooked on Kenpo ever since. :asian:

OP
Michael Billings

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Working with Howard Silva for a year solid when he was visiting Austin and guest teaching at Brian Duffy's advanced class. Relaxed explosive power ... and he thumped also. New expressions, new ways of moving, then finally doing one technique "right", feeling it, and we were 10 minutes into class when he said STOP! THAT'S IT, REMEMBER THAT FEELING. He ended class right then, of course by then I was the only one going to his class ... and had been for months.

It re-defined me as an EPAK practitioner, instead of the Chinese Kenpoist I had been. It was one of those moments!

I am sure he does not read these boards given his raising a little girl. He is the same age as Mr. Parker, so you know he has his work cut out for him trying to keep up with his grand-daughter, whom he is raising.

Oss wherever you are sir (Placerville CA)
-MB

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631
When I saw Larry Tatum's video "Walls of Defense"

My Instructor, Mr Bernie Drakes is in that one, along with a whole bunch of my Kenpo friends.

The castle where it was filmed is where I grew up.

Unfortunately I lent my copy to someone and never saw it again.

Les

Latest Discussions