Most important Muscle group in muay thai?

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know that this differs from style to style and from person to person, but in general, what muscle group do you consider to be most important in muay thai? I ask this since it's clear that in boxing the arms and upper body are most important, and in tae kwon do the legs are focused on, but muay thai uses both hand and leg techniques, and also needs a high degree of core conditioning for momentum and resisting blows... any thoughts?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Though I am no expert in Mauy Thai I would have to say that the key muscle group to work on would be the core (abs and lower back). The core in my opinion is the key muscle group to work on regardless of the art. In (western style) boxing strong abs are essential to generating power for the uppercut and hook. Same goes with TKD, strength in the core muscles is essential in throwing kicks.

As for Mauy Thai I would say that this is not only key but a MUST. Working knee strikes requires a great deal of ab strength, that and strong abs will aid in absorbing strikes to the body.

And the reason I said lower back as well is because it’s necessary to work both. Working abs without working the lower back is like working on biceps and neglecting the triceps, ect.

Just my opinion.

-Josh

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your brain!!!!

If you have the most perfect body in the world, it doesnt do you any good if you don't know which techniques are appropriate in a given situation...

OP
Giorgio

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
haha thanks for the suggestion, but I asked for the most important MUSCLE group!

can't flex your brain, can you...

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would say there is no 'one' muscle group thats most important. If you over develop one group, that going to leave you vulnerable in another. There are a group of muscle groups that are important in Muay. And to ask this question, would leave me to believe that you plan on focusing on only one muscle group.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
the Heart both metaphysically and in reality. You sure need heart to go in the ring but also could cardiac fitness is essential.

Jeff

Latest Discussions