Most Dangerous (as in Useless) Self-Defense Technique Taught?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are teaching women fighting skills then I would say shouldn't be running a female self defence course, as you clearly haven't looked into the types of violence women we most at risk from. Fighting in the street/ bars is typically not high on the list.

So you don't feel women should know how to fight?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This isn't self defense, martial arts, fighting, nor anything else remotely close to a synonym of any of those terms/concepts.

To call it anything other than asinine or a synonym of asinine is asinine.

Edit: Maybe pathetic, sad, delusional, tragically comical, etc. would fit well too.

And yet people believe all styles are created equal.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched that video several times over the last couple of years. I never get tired of it. I think I actually read the book that first one comes from, though I don't remember the title. It was on my dad's bookshelf when I was growing up.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We've shared the Jim Carey link many times. But who remembers Sweet Tooth Jones. Legit:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This isn't self defense, martial arts, fighting, nor anything else remotely close to a synonym of any of those terms/concepts.

To call it anything other than asinine or a synonym of asinine is asinine.

Edit: Maybe pathetic, sad, delusional, tragically comical, etc. would fit well too.
True dat :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People referenced Parker's Leap of Death, so I had to search it. At least these guys made it entertaining...

Had it not been for "The Glow" and camel clutch references, it wouldn't have been as entertaining.

Iron Sheik would call anyone actually using leap of death a jabroni. I'd fully concur.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Couldn't find a clip for it, but one of my favorite Martial related scenes was from Entourage, when Johnny Drama, wearing his yellow belt, says "I earned this belt. In fact I went as high as a green. I just like to wear the yellow cause it makes my eyes pop."

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Couldn't find a clip for it, but one of my favorite Martial related scenes was from Entourage, when Johnny Drama, wearing his yellow belt, says "I earned this belt. In fact I went as high as a green. I just like to wear the yellow cause it makes my eyes pop."

I love that show. I've been looking for a replacement for it to no avail. Californication was a great show too, kind of along the same lines.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
People referenced Parker's Leap of Death, so I had to search it. At least these guys made it entertaining...

Had it not been for "The Glow" and camel clutch references, it wouldn't have been as entertaining.

Iron Sheik would call anyone actually using leap of death a jabroni. I'd fully concur.
That techique absolutely works. The takedown I've used when I worked security in a nightclub and sure you probably won't use the whole ending but the bit where you pin them and yank on the is a restraining move so they can't do anything

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No idea why I didn't post this sooner. This one never gets old...

Sure you're not going use that as a full technique what he's showing but it's showing a range of different strikes that you can use in a real situation

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No matter what he chooses to call it, this is martial arts rather than self defence.

If we are posting the most useless martial arts techniques then we can't ignite Ed Parkers Leap Of Death, which also has Master Ken written all over it :)
Hate to ruin your theory but that technique absolutely works as I've used it before when working in a nightclub

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That techique absolutely works. The takedown I've used when I worked security in a nightclub and sure you probably won't use the whole ending but the bit where you pin them and yank on the is a restraining move so they can't do anything

I agree. When I saw it I thought "what's bad about that?" then I started laughing at the part where you're supposed to jump on the kidneys. As someone else said, it gets all Master Ken after that.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure you're not going use that as a full technique what he's showing but it's showing a range of different strikes that you can use in a real situation

A lot of those strikes can be effective. But not to the extent he's pitching them as. The block in the beginning won't break someone's arm, you're not going to rip off someone's ears, testicles, or face, you're not going to break someone's arm or scapula with a knife-hand strike, etc.

Can many of those things work individually? Yes. To the extent he portrays? Not even close. Putting them all together like that? No way in hell. Funny as hell? Absolutely.

Like I said previously, Ashida Kim had to be a huge influence on the Master Ken character.