Most Dangerous (as in Useless) Self-Defense Technique Taught?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank, I can see why you just walked off that mat.

WingChunChick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What would you say is the most useless technique taught in self-defense classes? One that you know would never work in reality?

For me, I would have to say telling rape victims to scream "fire" instead of "help." It just doesn't make sense to me. If someone screamed "fire," I would not run TOWARD it...I would run FURTHER AWAY from the sound of the voice yelling it, so as to not die a fiery death! That's just my opinion though.

So, how about it?

It's just one of those things that shouldn't make sense yet in really it's true. if you're a woman it's a sad world, and shouting fire is far more effective trust me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just one of those things that shouldn't make sense yet in really it's true. if you're a woman it's a sad world, and shouting fire is far more effective trust me.
I guess it depends upon context. Inside a private portion of a building, it might be less useful than in a more public area.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And he didn't even restomp the groin. Slacker.

Ashida Kim has to be a strong influence on the creation of the Master Ken character. Way too many similarities IMO. Yes, I know the character is based on a lot of different people and situations "Master Ken" has come across (whatever his real name is), but I just see too much Ashida Kim in Master Ken for it to be coincidental. And yes, that's a good thing.

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
When teaching techniques for "self defense" what I think is useless is teaching things that a student lacks the attributes to apply effectively. So it is student dependent. If for example teaching a women's self defense class with 10 females, none of whom have real experience with violence/fighting and the instructor is teaching techniques that will require good timing, excellent balance, flexibility and tremendous accuracy and an ability to control range when the 10 female students lack all of the above, the methods shown are useless even if they would be excellent methods if only the students had the time to develop the attributes that would allow the methods shown to be successful.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
the methods shown are useless even if they would be excellent methods if only the students had the time to develop the attributes that would allow the methods shown to be successful.
Part of the reason for teaching self defence courses is to inspire the students to seek further training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When teaching techniques for "self defense" what I think is useless is teaching things that a student lacks the attributes to apply effectively. So it is student dependent. If for example teaching a women's self defense class with 10 females, none of whom have real experience with violence/fighting and the instructor is teaching techniques that will require good timing, excellent balance, flexibility and tremendous accuracy and an ability to control range when the 10 female students lack all of the above, the methods shown are useless even if they would be excellent methods if only the students had the time to develop the attributes that would allow the methods shown to be successful.
Another example of this would be teaching vital striking points to people in a self-defense seminar who do not already know how to hit well. Better to teach them one easy striking method and get them practicing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the reason for teaching self defence courses is to inspire the students to seek further training.
Agreed, and that can be done without teaching them techniques they can't use. I typically demonstrate some movements that are more advanced versions of what they've been taught in the seminar.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No idea why I didn't post this sooner. This one never gets old...

No matter what he chooses to call it, this is martial arts rather than self defence.

If we are posting the most useless martial arts techniques then we can't ignite Ed Parkers Leap Of Death, which also has Master Ken written all over it :)

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are teaching women fighting skills then I would say shouldn't be running a female self defence course, as you clearly haven't looked into the types of violence women we most at risk from. Fighting in the street/ bars is typically not high on the list.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No matter what he chooses to call it, this is martial arts rather than self defence.

If we are posting the most useless martial arts techniques then we can't ignite Ed Parkers Leap Of Death, which also has Master Ken written all over it :)

This isn't self defense, martial arts, fighting, nor anything else remotely close to a synonym of any of those terms/concepts.

To call it anything other than asinine or a synonym of asinine is asinine.

Edit: Maybe pathetic, sad, delusional, tragically comical, etc. would fit well too.

Latest Discussions