most curious question in my mind, Why Martial Arts?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well... you know how some people can't tell the difference between TV and real life? That was me, as an impressionable pre-teen. So, my perception of martial arts was that it was Bruce Lee kicking someone in the chest, and i'd be too busy whining about how someone didn't bash him in the back of the head to find it cool. "Why aren't they doing anything?! Why doesn't one of them grab him?!" I'd say, pointing wildly at all the other people standing around in fighting stances. XP

It didn't help that a karate place decided to do a demonstration at my school, with flashy 1-step and 3-step sparring set to some crazy instrumentals. "This is even worse than the movies" is what i got out of it.

I ended up in Taekwondo because i was unfit and everytime i tried to exercise at home i'd get bored/lazy. TKD was cheaper than going to the gym, so i started TKD.
Ha normally get like that /after/ they start training lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think I was ever addicted in all honesty it was something I did to occupy my time but I don't think I was ever truly addicted I didn't study every detail about it I didnt spend every waking second thinking about next class. I turned up to the gym trained went home and that was it, of course I practiced at home. When I came to competing it was exciting and cool but never something I felt I had to do it was my choice and maybe if I'd put more into it I'd have had more success in the ring but I just did it for the fun of it and in the end it just became a habit. Don't get me wrong I do love martial arts and training but it's not my life my family is way more important and I'd happily give it up today if need be.

I still train now but to me it's like doing stretches every morning just something to keep active and healthy. I do train to keep my family safe and I know I've got power and skill and I do train it. But I'm no where addicted as some. I could never write a book on it or learn all the theory that some do that stuff bores the hell out of me always has done. All respect in the world to those who know it but to me I want to be fit, strong and able to look after myself not to be able to give a 2 hour seminar on how to throw a jab. Same reason I never got into coaching I've had a few offers to teach at gyms or run classes but I always turn it down just not my area. The only teaching I've done is to my daughter.

D

Deleted member 34973

I cant get the monkey off of my back. I love it, eat sleep and breath it. Since the first moment I watched 'Five Fingers of Death'. Now, it is a way of life.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all, i just joined this website.Greetings to you all.Glad to be here,would love to share thoughts and experiences.But first of all, I would love to here one thing from all of you- WHEN AND HOW DID YOU GET ADDICTED TO THIS MAGNIFICENT ART?
as of me, from 4th or 5th grade i got attracted to it seeing some tv shows and movies....

After my first wing chun lesson.

Welcome to the board.

tomatokilla

White Belt
Reaction score
Cool topic, I grew up with "Kung Fu Theatre" and tried jiu jitsu and Hapjukendo when I was a kid. Everyone is a Bruce Lee fan of course so I have always been a JKD wannabe. There's just so much out there and with the internet these days, it's just info overload. I guess the key to success is pick something you like and stick with it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's an MRE too, "Five Fingers of Death", it's the meal with the frankfurters.........

We ate c-rations in my day. That was called 'beans and baby [appendages]'. You can guess the word we used in place of appendages.