Morning training routines

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi all!

Over the summer I've gotten into a good practice of morning exercise! ;) (Usually twice a week or so)

Normally I do a basic warm up, practice stances and strikes etc. in a line up and down the garden, then finish with some kata practice. Normally this is only 30-45 mins before shower and breakfast :3

Does anyone else have a morning routine? And/or short individual practice sessions that they would like to share?
I'm trying to get more ideas on how I can tailor my own little practice sessions towards specific goals (better form and stamina mostly), or maybe just to shake them up a bit every now and again ;)

Osu!

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My routine is always changing because... Life... But is usually a mixture of around 6 of these:

Monday: 0500 BJJ (60 min)
1900: BJJ (60 min)
Tues: 0500: Back squat, bench press, and deadlift (45 min)
Wed 0630: unit fitness - calisthenics + 2-4 mi run depending on intensity of calisthenics
1900: BJJ (60 min)
Thurs: 0500: back squat, bent over row, shoulder press (45 min)
Friday: 0500 BJJ (60 min)
1530: unit fitness (usually a group activity ~60 min)
Saturday morning: the guns (triceps/biceps 45 min)
Saturday night: 30 min bag work - 2 min on with 1 min off while doing calisthenics
Sunday: rarely "work out" but like to hike, go to the beach, etc

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tend to do my stuff after work rather than before. My job can be kinda stressful (well one of the most stressful in the US apparently) and my work schedule is a mess. 12 hour shifts, one week 60 hours the next week 24 hours. Every 4 months swap from days to nights.

When I wake up I will stretch and do some shadow boxing.

When I get home all body weight stuff either on the floor or using an item similar to a TRX. I do that in fast intervals alternating muscle groups daily. That is ~30 minutes. After that I do WC forms followed by Sinawali. That is where it gets weird. On work days I will do only one form set, SLT, at Taiji slow speed... Like 15-20 minutes to complete the form. Then another 15-20 minutes of Sinawali. This, for me, is very relaxing.

On days off I get a little crazy. I do all of the above, plus forms at speed. I will also randomly throw in Seguidas, Doce Peras, and some Sombrada shadow boxing plus, always, a minimum 5k run.
When I get a heavy bag I will be throwing that into the mix.

(Sinawali, Seguidas, Doce Peras etc are Kali flow drills if you aren't familiar with FMA.)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work 12+ hour shifts, plus 2 hours of commute. I don't do any real workout on the days I work. I sleep, poop, shower, work and repeat. Not always in that order...

On my days off, I work forms, do bag work, spar, and teach. The details vary widely.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I work 12+ hour shifts, plus 2 hours of commute. I don't do any real workout on the days I work. I sleep, poop, shower, work and repeat. Not always in that order...

On my days off, I work forms, do bag work, spar, and teach. The details vary widely.

I am so getting close to that, but I bought a house 10 minutes from the Station. At some point I may well get rid of the interval training (closing in on 50 sucks), but the slow SLT and Sinawali is down right meditative. The only other time I feel that "at peace" is when I am out on the bike ticking over those pedals. A mantra of movement instead of sound. Without that to decompress I don't think I would be able to sleep.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have <10 min drive from my house to my work which helps since I work usually 10-11 hrs each day but up to 14. Luckily it's mainly Monday - Friday with only occasionally on the weekends.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so getting close to that, but I bought a house 10 minutes from the Station. At some point I may well get rid of the interval training (closing in on 50 sucks), but the slow SLT and Sinawali is down right meditative. The only other time I feel that "at peace" is when I am out on the bike ticking over those pedals. A mantra of movement instead of sound. Without that to decompress I don't think I would be able to sleep.

I use the drive home to decompress, which can be especially important if there's been particularly bad things at work. Like pediatric deaths, for example. I have my option of two routes. One is straight, interstate. The other is winding through a pass. There's about 3 minutes difference in the routes. If it's bad, I'll take the winding route and...bend... the speed limits a bit.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had just been to the Saturday morning class and , normally I will get changed before I go home but this time I was helping to carry out the branch instructor's bags. I couldn't be bothered going back into the rec center to get changed so I drove home in my uniform. When I got home I thought I would take the opportunity to do some bag work and make some videos (spur of the moment thing), and here are the highlights:

OP
Ademadis

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lol best thing about being a student is the late mornings ;), don't have any classes in the morning (not to say I'm not up doing stuff, I'm usually first awake in my house by a long shot).

Thanks for all the replies, definitely gonna have a looki ;), was thinking of getting a punching bag but they're a bit above my price range :C

maryf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i am trying to add little exercise in morning on daily basis still unable to manage time for all the stuff and martial arts :bucktooth:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd love to work out in the morning, but getting my 3 and 5 year old daughters and myself ready to get out of the house by 7:20 doesn't give me that much time. My wife and I both teach, and I take my daughters to work with me (they go to school where I teach). I could get up an hour earlier, but that's when my wife is getting ready, so I'd have to finish and shower up before 5:30. No way I'm getting up at 4:30ish; I don't know how I manage to get up at 5:45 almost every day. Then again, due to limited space and options, I'd probably have to leave the house, so an earlier wake up time would be in order.

Excuses, excuses.

maryf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lol best thing about being a student is the late mornings ;), don't have any classes in the morning (not to say I'm not up doing stuff, I'm usually first awake in my house by a long shot).

Thanks for all the replies, definitely gonna have a looki ;), was thinking of getting a punching bag but they're a bit above my price range :C
thanks buddy i just received my 1st like in the martial art community. :mask::banhappy:o_O

Latest Discussions