More Wing Chun Boxing!

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a big misconception about boxing power as people think they lean to make power. And they kind of don't.

They also walk in to position to make power like chunners.

.I am interested to know what is in the wing chun engine that is not already in boxing.

Good questions. Yes, there are certainly differences.

In WC you get power from drag step and loose straight shots driven from the elbow. That is, moving forward with your weight back, combined with 0 tension in the shoulder or arm, from shifting on your heels without much body rotation, and from pulling with one and striking with the other, just to name a few examples that are alien to boxing.

Reactions: KPM
OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ See my video about "engines" early up in this thread.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's a drag step?
I don't know the Chinese name for this one. Where you pull your rear set back foot forward with your front one, moving forward with weight maintained on the rear foot.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ Something the Leung Ting lineage is known for.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

In WC you get power from drag step and loose straight shots driven from the elbow. That is, moving forward with your weight back, combined with 0 tension in the shoulder or arm, from shifting on your heels without much body rotation, and from pulling with one and striking with the other, just to name a few examples that are alien to boxing.

Not common but I don't think alien. Lead right concepts are similar.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Drag step - front foot step in, back foot follow.

Do you think WC power generation coordinate punch with

- front foot landing, or
- back foot landing?

In my opinion, it can be both methods... depending on timing and distance. One gets its effect due to bodyweight impact, one is from proper push/pull mechanics.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my opinion, it can be both methods... depending on timing and distance. One gets its effect due to bodyweight impact, one is from proper push/pull mechanics.
In training, you either coordinate your punch with front foot landing, or coordinate your punch with back foot landing, If you train as you fight, it should be either or option. If you train in one way and fight with another way, you may feel uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drag step - front foot step in, back foot follow.

Do you think WC power generation coordinate punch with

- front foot landing, or
- back foot landing?

It's...different. The power is from the rear leg but not really from it "landing" as it doesn't leave the ground.

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score

It’s the shifting up your body weight depending on the strike in western boxing. Sort of like fencing.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are some more video lessons. The two person version of each hopefully will be filmed next weekend!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You can actually find these elements used by high level boxers if you know where to look. The difference is that
  • these methods are not normally taught as basics, but are rather used by individual boxers as part of their personal style
  • these methods are not used in isolation, but are blended in with all the standard boxing tools as necessary
Learning WT actually helped me understand what certain boxers were doing that appeared to "break the rules" that I learned in boxing and why they were able to get away with doing so.

This subject reminds me of a post I've been meaning to make for a while, about how the technical differences between the personal styles of individual high-level boxers (including world champions) can sometimes be greater than the difference between two randomly selected styles of Karate or even between some related styles of CMA. Despite that, no one tries to claim that (for example) Mike Tyson and Mohammed Ali were practicing different martial arts. Maybe I'll get around to making that post later today.

Latest Discussions