More open carry idiots....

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Im with you except for that. You say that all gun owners cant be condemned based on the actions of a few (and cell phone users) but say pretty much that cops can be....
Nope. Not at all. I was making a reference to a study that showed the number of crimes committed by criminals, gun owners and law enforcement.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope. Not at all. I was making a reference to a study that showed the number of crimes committed by criminals, gun owners and law enforcement.

I doubt the veracity of a study like that very much....source?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm a cop...am I not also a "gun owner"??

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
http://www.kansas.com/2012/11/17/2572467/few-crimes-committed-by-concealed.html
According to this study, there were 44 CCL holders charged with a crime in 5 years in Kasas.
you can compare those stats to the stats in the link below (from the Cato institute) and see that CCL holders commit almost no crimes whereas police officers are committing almost as many as the general public.
http://www.policemisconduct.net/2010-npmsrp-police-misconduct-statistical-report/

I'm not cop bashing, just showing some stats about gun ownership and crime. Maybe these can help put some of you at ease. Again, it's not the tool. It's the individual holding it.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Meh, i lost that one in the jumble of another forum. It's a shame because I was going to blog it. I offered up a report from Kansas, and a Cato Institute link. Take it or leave it. I'm not going to argue.
I will however offer up some advice. Don't get upset when someone quotes those statistics. If a sworn LEO commits a crime, he is a criminal and not worthy of protection from other officers. You have no need to toe the thin blue line for someone who breaks his oath.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Meh, i lost that one in the jumble of another forum. It's a shame because I was going to blog it. I offered up a report from Kansas, and a Cato Institute link. Take it or leave it. I'm not going to argue.
I will however offer up some advice. Don't get upset when someone quotes those statistics. If a sworn LEO commits a crime, he is a criminal and not worthy of protection from other officers. You have no need to toe the thin blue line for someone who breaks his oath.

I was a gun owner long before I was a cop.

I have personally been involved in IA's that resulted in various cops fired or resigned.

A handfull of stats from Kansas compared to anything except that area of Kansas means squat about Cops as a whole.

....or "gun owners".

Last edited:
OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And everyone in law enforcement assumes that we don't know our rights?? Can I make broad statements too?

Nobody presumes to have knowledge about brain surgery when taking to physicians....but many people seem to think they know what I do for a living.

A comparison to your knowledge of your rights is a different topic.

PS- Many people try to lecture me on their Miranda rights and what they mean....quite a few actually don't know what THAT means. But that's a different topic too.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was a gun owner long before I was a cop.

I have personally been involved in IA's that resulted in various cops fired or resigned.

A handfull of stats from Kansas compared to anything except that area of Kansas means squat about Cops as a whole.

....or "gun owners".

Since you brought it up, I have to ask: As a witness, investigator or suspect?

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Witness once...investigator several times.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thing with talking about "cops", is that my PD can be as different in every way from the PD in your area as you are from me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing with talking about "cops", is that my PD can be as different in every way from the PD in your area as you are from me.

Yep, I guarantee that your PD and community is night & day from mine, which is different than ballen's... That's something a lot of people just don't get.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, I guarantee that your PD and community is night & day from mine, which is different than ballen's... That's something a lot of people just don't get.

Exactly...the impression I get from some people with their "cop stories" is that they almost seem to think we are some sort of uniform, nationalized force...and that when one officer #$%&@'s up that somehow means we all would do the same thing. Police service is very local in terms of quality. Large Metro PD's are nothing like my Mid-Size agency which is nothing like a small 8 man PD.

The whole "thin blue cover up" thing is hackneyed too...while I wont join in with assumptions based on net/news articles that only know or show half the story...I want bad apples gone MORE than the "non cop".

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Exactly...the impression I get from some people with their "cop stories" is that they almost seem to think we are some sort of uniform, nationalized force...and that when one officer #$%&@'s up that somehow means we all would do the same thing. Police service is very local in terms of quality. Large Metro PD's are nothing like my Mid-Size agency which is nothing like a small 8 man PD.

The whole "thin blue cover up" thing is hackneyed too...while I wont join in with assumptions based on net/news articles that only know or show half the story...I want bad apples gone MORE than the "non cop".

The first police officer I ever met gave me nightmares as a child. He put his revolver in my mouth because I walked on the railroad tracks. He is also a pedophile as he got a 16 year old pregnant while on duty. Doesn't matter that he married her. Maybe what he did to me made me a bit biased. Maybe not. Don't really know.

Latest Discussions