More open carry idiots....

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.policeone.com/Patrol-Vid...o-Cops-expert-open-carry-response-goes-viral/

I fail to see how going out with the intention of drawing police into a confrontation is going to gain the average persons support for second amendment rights. It just makes the gun owner look like a tool.

This cop did an outstanding job btw.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The cop was a consummate pro. No doubt.

The idiot with the camera... I see a chlorine injection coming to his gene pool if he keeps crap like that up, brought on by his own stupidity in action.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the agenda. Are these guys trying to make the cops look bad? Is that what they do?

And I'd agree, the officer did a terrific job.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do people really walk around the streets with weapons out like that? I understand that these guys are since they appear to be trying some sort of entrapment for a cop.

I just can not grasp why someone would need to.. And the fact there are laws to allow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the agenda. Are these guys trying to make the cops look bad? Is that what they do?

And I'd agree, the officer did a terrific job.

I think the goal is to draw attention to what the legalities of open carry are. For example, if open carry is legal, than just walking down the street with a rifle means a cop shouldn't be able to even stop you or demand ID.

These types like to illustrate these facts at the expense of some cops who may not know all of the "ins and outs" of OC but think they are protecting their beats.

While I'm a pro 2nd type myself I'm glad we don't have to face this sort of stuff in my state.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are quite a few attention mongers who would do anything for 15 minutes of fame, in an effort to bait police. I would hardly call this fellow a defender of the Second Amendment, since he's just trying to provoke things.

This is no different than the miscreants who hold vials of powdered sugar and snort them when they know that police are watching them, hoping that they can somehow get a negative reaction.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There's been a big upswing in open carry incidents lately. Most have the police officers reacting in a pretty belligerent manner towards legal open carry.

It was quite refreshing to see a police officer acting professionally and following the laws. I'm surprised he posted the vid as I imagine that most of the vids where police are doing their jobs professionally don't make it online.

The open carry "advocate" was clearly looking for an argument instead of trying to advocate open carry laws.

People like him give responsible gun owners a bad name.

Officers like Nork give police a good name.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The officers are doing a great job. The camera guys are douchnozzles.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
After watching the video, I checked and was surprised to see that my state is listed as open carry. I think most people are sensible and considerate enough though to get a CCW permit, and don't make a scene by walking around with a gun out in the open. I suppose that in some areas that might be viewed as a normal occurrence, just not in my neighborhood where it meant run for cover.

Last edited:

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score

I think in the second video the officer may be too nice? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but all that officer has to say is "let me see your ID", and if they refuse, then he could arrest them for disobeying a lawful order? It makes me wonder if these videos were arranged (ie B.S.)? Because to be honest, this is what I'm used to seeing: here I guess those guys with the AR-15s were lucky they didn't get caught Jaywalking?

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wrong. He had no grounds to compel them to identify themselves. Merely carrying a gun was not illegal in those circumstances.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a bunch of tools, these type of guys do a dis-service to the pro-gun crowd. People that are carrying guns like that with the sole purpose to provoke, are a high risk IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wrong. He had no grounds to compel them to identify themselves. Merely carrying a gun was not illegal in those circumstances.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I guess it depends in what state you live? Because in my state, cops can arrest people who don't produce ID, and they don't need any special reason to ask for it either. I have personally seen police draw their weapons on unarmed citizens for way less reasons then for walking around town brandishing an assault rifle like they lived in a demilitarized zone. I was very surprised that police did not draw their guns on these guys, and told them to lay down their weapons before approaching them. If the videos are legit, it seems very probable to me that the police recognize what these guys are up to, and are being extra-specially-nice to avoid bringing the negative national attention that these guys are seeking.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess it depends in what state you live? Because in my state, cops can arrest people who don't produce ID

Are you sure this is right? If I'm walking down the street minding my own business and a cop ask for ID and I refuse/am unable to comply, it's off to jail I go? Because "Let me see your papers" isn't really the system here.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

As of February 2011, there is no U.S. federal law requiring that an individual identify himself during a Terry stop, but Hiibel held that states may enact such laws, provided the law requires the officer to have reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal involvement,[20] and 24 states have done so.[21] The opinion in Hiibel implied that persons detained by police in jurisdictions with constitutional[22] “stop and identify” laws listed are obligated to identify themselves,[23] and that persons detained in other jurisdictions are not.[24] The issue may not be that simple, however, for several reasons:

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you sure this is right? If I'm walking down the street minding my own business and a cop ask for ID and I refuse/am unable to comply, it's off to jail I go? Because "Let me see your papers" isn't really the system here.

Nine years ago I asked a police car stop so I could give a description of a dealer who had approached me selling drugs. The officers insulted me - suggesting that I was in the area to either buy drugs or find a prostitute. They then asked me to give my ID. I was upset with the way I was being treated, and refused to give my ID because I wasn't committing a crime. They arrested me, and held me for twelve hours before I could use the phone to call my wife (who was worried sick). I was told that the charges were dropped (I never was told what they were). However, just recently I wanted to volunteer for a chaplain service that required a background check - three miscellaneous misdemeanors were charged against me that day. I have a criminal record for trying to report a drug dealer - no ****. The lesson = show your ID - it's a lawful command, don't believe the B.S. in that video because it's not the norm. And if you don't want to get out of your car for "officer safety" you better have your doors locked, your hands on the wheel in plain sight, and move very slow when passing your ID through the cracked window. I was pulled over once for driving without a seatbelt, the officer tried to force open my car door, and then drew his gun when I said I wanted to stay in my car and hand him my information through the cracked window. The lesson = keep a cell phone and a way to record things handy when you go out in public, and call the state police to come out and make a report at the scene if your local police is harassing you. This system worked out well for our local cable installer tech. who was being subject to racial profiling by being pulled over every time he drove through the city; he eventually had enough evidence to win a lawsuit - the police tried claiming that he matched a suspect's description (black man driving a used car apparently).

Last edited:

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
As of February 2011, there is no U.S. federal law requiring that an individual identify himself during a Terry stop, but Hiibel held that states may enact such laws, provided the law requires the officer to have reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal involvement,[20] and 24 states have done so.[21] The opinion in Hiibel implied that persons detained by police in jurisdictions with constitutional[22] “stop and identify” laws listed are obligated to identify themselves,[23] and that persons detained in other jurisdictions are not.[24]

Thanks for posting this.

Latest Discussions