More Mystery Meat in the UK

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's going on over there?

Article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...experts-discover-mystery-meat-lamb-curry.html

A mystery meat, which has defied the best efforts of scientists to identify it, has been found in a lamb curry as part of an investigation into food fraud.

The discovery raises new questions about just what is going into the nation’s takeaways and processed foods.

A BBC documentary to be aired on BBC3 tonight sent samples of curries and kebabs bought from six outlets in London for laboratory tests.

However, most alarming of all was a curry. A spokesman for the programme said: ‘Just when we thought things couldn't get any worse, the results came in for an Indian Lamb Curry.

‘It did contain meat, but that meat was not lamb, not pork, nor was it chicken or beef. Not horse, and not goat either.’

All of the many tests to date by the lab used by the programme have failed to identify exactly which animal was the source of the meat.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bearing in mind that this is the Daily Fail, so journalistic accuracy will be hard to come by, especially if there is a chance to point fingers at the Brown People.

Regardless, it is worrying that more examples of such establishments evading regulation are coming to light - we're sliding back towards how things were in the Adulteration Era of a past century.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've said in other similar threads, I have nothing against eating horse, goat, or what many Americans would refer to as offal. The main issue here is, if it's being sold as lamb, it should be lamb.

There was an Italian restaurant I remember where they were busted for using pork in lieu of veal in their dishes. The taste was mild and the texture similar, so in a dish, it was virtually undetectable. Of course, pork and beef both have religious implications, and mixing the two was enough of a blow to the reputation of the restaurant that it never recovered and shortly closed down.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The main food fraud here is with fish. Fillets on display are very difficult to identify. Another fraud in the beef area is the use of food glue to manufacture expensive looking steak from off cuts. Not to forget 'chicken' nuggets which contain everything but good pieces of chicken, all glued together. :asian:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The main food fraud here is with fish. Fillets on display are very difficult to identify. Another fraud in the beef area is the use of food glue to manufacture expensive looking steak from off cuts. Not to forget 'chicken' nuggets which contain everything but good pieces of chicken, all glued together. :asian:

well, the fish not being that fish can be tricky.

and that cut not being that cut is bad, too. Not as bad, but bad.

Now...if you expect the nuggets to be anything but scraps glued and pressed....I do have some beach front property adjacent to a bridge I can let you have for cheap....in Montana some place....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, fish is a fraud a stunning percentage of the time--you can't trust what it's claimed to be. Will county health inspectors start doing DNA analysis to check for fraud?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
well, the fish not being that fish can be tricky.

and that cut not being that cut is bad, too. Not as bad, but bad.

Now...if you expect the nuggets to be anything but scraps glued and pressed....I do have some beach front property adjacent to a bridge I can let you have for cheap....in Montana some place....
I've been looking for a nice place to buy in the US. Beach front sounds just right. Could you please send some pics? :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Support your local farmer.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As long as it comes from an actual animal, and is not diseased, its all good, IMHO.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OMG...I just put some loin and some shoulder in the freezer, come on over!Of course you better be damn good to me if you want me to share the bacon, or the pot pie I cook with bacon fat instead of Crisco...LOL!!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've had a Tunisian foreign exchange student suggested to us...she doesn't eat pork! I could end up having a bacon-free year (unless I snuck out to get it at restaurants :uhoh:).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot to mention the ribs!!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OMG...I just put some loin and some shoulder in the freezer, come on over!Of course you better be damn good to me if you want me to share the bacon, or the pot pie I cook with bacon fat instead of Crisco...LOL!!

WTF is wrong with you? Never, EVER tease a big man about food. :p

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not a tease when the offer is legit. I might even let you grill. Maybe. :p

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

How much is a flight to North America these days? :D.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the mystery is solved...according to news reports the meat that was found was actually a new product called "Soylent Green," and Britain and other countries around the world will be able to enjoy this new, inexpensive product in their local food marts very soon...