More lessons learned while facing "the gun"!!!

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Recently we added "stressors" to our training by going "hot" on our training firearms. This has afforded us zero room for error or doubt.
It also allows us to be shot dead countless times and ressurect ourselves to correct our mistakes and move on.

I would like to share a couple of things I recently learned the hard way.

1. When face to face with an attacker with a pistol and a two handed grip, never strike the firing hand or arm. Doing this will definately ensure the trigger is pulled and you are shot point blank. Instead strike the opposite arm or non-firing arm. Make sure you are targeting the nerve and make sure you are striking and pushing to the outside always... against the natural bend in the arm( na for 2 had grip as strikes are always to the outside due to absence of natural bend). Upon striking you should be projecting into thier base and pushing them off balance simultaneously.

This however does not apply to the 2 handed grip from the rear as you are relying more on a rotation and simultaneous deflection to strike the arm off track and not necessarily a dedicated thrust as done face to face.

2. When face to face with the threat and the muzzle is pressed on your flesh it is best to go neutral and get them talking while creating a few inches of space before agressing the forearm strike and projecting through thier base. If you attempt to agress face to face with the muzzle pressed to your flesh it will get hung up when you try to move and you will be shot. Now I am not saying to create distance persay, merely unclog the muzzle of your clothes and meat before getting in there and getting to work.

Here again, this doesnt apply when faced from the side or rear becuase the "push", "rotation" and deflection are more on your side and more effective becuase of the angles.

You would not be able to determine these things without projectiles coming at you. Going off air, audible click or using "blue guns" as guages is IMO less effective or in a sense shortchanging the results.

Thanks guys, watch your clocks out there.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate the thoughts posted. Some of the force on force training/ CQC with a pistol courses I have done have really added a lot to what I was already doing, lots more to learn though!

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Recently we added "stressors" to our training by going "hot" on our training firearms. This has afforded us zero room for error or doubt.
It also allows us to be shot dead countless times and ressurect ourselves to correct our mistakes and move on.

I would like to share a couple of things I recently learned the hard way.

1. When face to face with an attacker with a pistol and a two handed grip, never strike the firing hand or arm. Doing this will definately ensure the trigger is pulled and you are shot point blank. Instead strike the opposite arm or non-firing arm. Make sure you are targeting the nerve and make sure you are striking and pushing to the outside always... against the natural bend in the arm( na for 2 had grip as strikes are always to the outside due to absence of natural bend). Upon striking you should be projecting into thier base and pushing them off balance simultaneously.

This however does not apply to the 2 handed grip from the rear as you are relying more on a rotation and simultaneous deflection to strike the arm off track and not necessarily a dedicated thrust as done face to face.

2. When face to face with the threat and the muzzle is pressed on your flesh it is best to go neutral and get them talking while creating a few inches of space before agressing the forearm strike and projecting through thier base. If you attempt to agress face to face with the muzzle pressed to your flesh it will get hung up when you try to move and you will be shot. Now I am not saying to create distance persay, merely unclog the muzzle of your clothes and meat before getting in there and getting to work.

Here again, this doesnt apply when faced from the side or rear becuase the "push", "rotation" and deflection are more on your side and more effective becuase of the angles.

You would not be able to determine these things without projectiles coming at you. Going off air, audible click or using "blue guns" as guages is IMO less effective or in a sense shortchanging the results.

Thanks guys, watch your clocks out there.

Striking the gun arm and going for a nerve is pretty iffy when you actually have someone stick a real gun in your face, it seems way to fine motor skill to me.

Are you also getting your body/head off line as you do this?

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Correct. Its simultaneous.
From neutral position get them to talk(ask them what they want). I also like going "whoa" "whoa" "whoa" and then ambushing them. Depends...some people fein complete fear and copitulation then ambush... I also found that if they are talking, responding or interacting they are not shooting.
Strike arm(similar to side block) while rotating off line(poa/poi) and projecting behind the muzzle into thier base and the next target. You must keep your structure consistent from start to finish. Striking the arm target and rotating and projecting behind the muzzle keeps them from re-indexing the muzzle onto your position...by the time they realize what happened they have already been dumped and broken.

The arm strike is target specific and in no way intended to be a parry or deflection... It is intentionally done to deaden the arm and knock it off line completely... Always striking against the natural bend for ideal results.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Striking the gun arm and going for a nerve is pretty iffy when you actually have someone stick a real gun in your face, it seems way to fine motor skill to me.

Its iffy for anyone that doesn't practice that kind of strike. Nerve strikes are a developed skill, not a spur-of-the moment flail.

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
To add to it... its not fine motor skill. The striking arm is braced to the body foundation by keeping the elbow tucked into the ribs, striking and moving as one unit. It becomes a large muscle movement. There is no swing or arc at all only from the hip and torso rotation... its more of a push strike than anything.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In a real sitution? ....do it right..survive....do it wrong...you lose...

One chance in real life? .....off course every sitution will be different...and trusting your intincts...(know if he is going to shoot or NOT?)......only the shooter knows? ...trust your intincts..or feelings on this before..reacting..

Adrenline, different enviroment...complete stranger....blooding pumping...mine going in many directions? .....CAN YOU REACT CORRECTLY?

Aloha, guns do not kill...? ....most likely the bullet will!

Self-defense against the bullet? ...stay of out the line of fire!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To add to it... its not fine motor skill. The striking arm is braced to the body foundation by keeping the elbow tucked into the ribs, striking and moving as one unit. It becomes a large muscle movement. There is no swing or arc at all only from the hip and torso rotation... its more of a push strike than anything.

Yup. The strikes are mechanically sound. In addition to providing physical defense, they are done to the nerve to impede the reaction of the threatening limb. Nothing magic about it but, like any kind of combat movement, it takes practice to do effectively.

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup. The strikes are mechanically sound. In addition to providing physical defense, they are done to the nerve to impede the reaction of the threatening limb. Nothing magic about it but, like any kind of combat movement, it takes practice to do effectively.

I agree completely.

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
We literally had to practice getting shot in order to get it mechanically sound. If something is missing it could compromize everything.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
We literally had to practice getting shot in order to get it mechanically sound. If something is missing it could compromize everything.

That's what is so great about force on force with an airsoft gun. You really realize how easy it is to miss something and get shot. It takes a lot of the "I'm Rambo" out of guys in class for the first time. Even a lot of the Millitary/LEO guys with real experience come through and realize they haven't trained that much close quarters technique with a firearm.

It's the same in the edge weapons courses. Using a marker or a chalk knife opens a lot of peopls eyes.

Good stuff, thanks for the post.

prokarateshop

Orange Belt
Reaction score
are there any videos posted anywhere? I would be curious to the various techniques

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Its a bit off subject as in probally wouldn't be the case in point blank range, but I heard that when facing a handgun, if you just run then 9 times out of 10 you are unlikely to get shot, whether it is because its hard to shoot a moving target with a handgun (which I have actually found is quite true, especially if compared to a rifle) or whether they just won't shoot. This is apparently according to the FBI or some similiar organisation. Any merit in this?

www.FirstAction.com.au
www.freeselfdefencetips.com

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its a bit off subject as in probally wouldn't be the case in point blank range, but I heard that when facing a handgun, if you just run then 9 times out of 10 you are unlikely to get shot, whether it is because its hard to shoot a moving target with a handgun (which I have actually found is quite true, especially if compared to a rifle) or whether they just won't shoot. This is apparently according to the FBI or some similiar organisation. Any merit in this?

www.FirstAction.com.au
www.freeselfdefencetips.com

To bank on that is to die.

If you do run, zig and zag in a irratic fashion, strait running makes it easy to ut some rounds in your back.

OP
BLACK LION

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
Running is an option but it depends on the distance and any available cover. A half moon or crescent angle is the best bet. You may have to run to close distance so you can engage efficiently or you may have to run to increase distance so you can egress.

Latest Discussions