More heavy bag work and then tree hitting.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your spinning kick should not end in that side kick shape. It needs to be more tucked and more of a back kick.

Not if it's intended to be a spinning side kick...
Currently, which one it's intended to be is unclear.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's 100 pounds. I need to get a heavier one so it won't swing too much.
It's not the bag it's your punching technique. You need to hit with proper technique so it won't swing as much. If I can hit a 30 pound bag without it swinging like the bag you are hitting then you should easily be able to punch a 100 pound bag without it swinging.

Here's the difference

Not sure what the weight is of the bag below but you can actually see the force of the punch come out the other side of the bag. When you use correct punching technique you'll get the same result regardless of the weight of the bag. The lighter the bag the better you'll have to be with your punching technique. A heavier bag will just hide your poor punching technique and you'll never be able to truly punch with power.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's 100 pounds. I need to get a heavier one so it won't swing too much.
You can always push the bag, let it swing away, when the bag swing back toward you, you then throw your punch or kick. A "head on collision" situation will be the most realistic training IMO.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your spinning kick should not end in that side kick shape. It needs to be more tucked and more of a back kick.

fdj8N454rmDa_rregVJYmFYfWZEc3W-SVSaBwVLeeS1t3x7nMBE_H0bywbjo66M5ledLOClttiRA_T5k98kORmQ_yNl6m10eet7pPYaCnfB3Ug=w250-h163-nc
That look like a back kick to me. I thought

- back kick is linear, and
- spinning kick is circular.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Depends. If your spinning kick is truly circular, it's going to be a hook kick, roundhouse, or crescent kick. Depending on where the turn stops, the linear versions could be a back kick or a side kick.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I familiarise more with this terminology too.

'Spinning kick' for me would always be whipped like a hook kick unless we're at close range.

Back kick has a side kick variant that I prefer over Drop Bear's example; I can generate more power and have a more fluid recovery from it back to stance.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can always push the bag, let it swing away, when the bag swing back toward you, you then throw your punch or kick. A "head on collision" situation will be the most realistic training IMO.

That seems like a good way to hurt your wrists if the bag is heavy and/or swinging fast. Instead of hitting it "head on," slip to the side and punch it.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't understand how I am pushing the bag. The more force I put into any strike the further away it is going to go. Even in the videos you put up the bag is moving quite a bit aside from the bottom one.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That seems like a good way to hurt your wrists if the bag is heavy and/or swinging fast. Instead of hitting it "head on," slip to the side and punch it.
It's like weight lifting, you start to lift 100 lb first. You then gradually get into 110 lb, 120 lb, ... You always let the bag to swing just a little bit, test your punch and kick, when you feel you can handle it with comfort, you then let the bag to swing a bit more.

You dominate the weight/equipment. You don't let the weight/equipment to dominate you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First couple of minutes show a good example of punching, IMO. Might be worth a try.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The more force I put into any strike the further away it is going to go
Not true. If you were to hit the bag with a baseball bat it wouldn't move far even through you are hitting it with more force than your punch. If you were actually do this you will find it very difficult to get the bat to move the bag. I can't remember how I figured it out because it's one of those things you'll learn and it'll seem like you have always known how to do it.

Maybe this will help you understand the difference of what you doing and what everyone else is talking about. I wish I still had my 30lb bag so I can show you how it looks like someone tried to fold it in half.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
When sparring my punches do a lot of damage to my opponent, but if you say I can do even more damage and be quicker by doing this. Well then I have no reason to doubt you, my sifu has been telling me lately to retract my hands back quicker and don't let it "float" or "pose" so much.

Maybe this is what he means? I will try it until I get the hang of it and compare the difference.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't understand how I am pushing the bag. The more force I put into any strike the further away it is going to go. Even in the videos you put up the bag is moving quite a bit aside from the bottom one.

Watch Buka's video. When the guy hits the bag, it flattens out, then the back side sort of vibrates before it swings. The energy radiates through the bag. Some call that making the bag dance. The swinging of the bag is from his follow through of the punch. When hit right, a bag will have that characteristic pop sound, much the same way a baseball bat will have when the sweet spot is hit (although it's a different sound). Yes, the audio and video are significantly better in that video than yours, but I think you get the idea.

I'm sure your punches are quite hard. But I'm also pretty sure they're about as hard as they'll get using the technique you're using. Not to mention the openings you're giving your opponent. Perhaps this stuff only happens when you hit a bag and not in sparring.

Trust your Sifu.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
my sifu has been telling me lately to retract my hands back quicker and don't let it "float" or "pose" so much
Sound accurate to me about not retracting your hands back quicker.

From a fighting point of view the longer you leave the arm out there more of an opportunity you are giving your opponent to take advantage of that arm.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watch Buka's video. When the guy hits the bag, it flattens out, then the back side sort of vibrates before it swings. The energy radiates through the bag. Some call that making the bag dance. The swinging of the bag is from his follow through of the punch. When hit right, a bag will have that characteristic pop sound, much the same way a baseball bat will have when the sweet spot is hit (although it's a different sound). Yes, the audio and video are significantly better in that video than yours, but I think you get the idea.

I'm sure your punches are quite hard. But I'm also pretty sure they're about as hard as they'll get using the technique you're using. Not to mention the openings you're giving your opponent. Perhaps this stuff only happens when you hit a bag and not in sparring.

Trust your Sifu.

Thank you, I think it is happening when sparring though, I sometimes take some mean hits during my strikes and that may be the reason why. Also we don't really use a punching bag often in the dojo, it is there but we often do not use it during class, so I think he is catching me do this in sparring, that or the wavemaster maybe?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends. If your spinning kick is truly circular, it's going to be a hook kick, roundhouse, or crescent kick. Depending on where the turn stops, the linear versions could be a back kick or a side kick.

Regardless he seems to be short changing his power generation. And that is because he is sideways before he extends that kick.

He can't go forwards from when he starts that kick.

If it is that side kick then he needs to chamber that knee.

ufc-129-gif-gsp-back-spinning-side-kick-jake-shields.gif

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
With the one two. You do need to work the hips better. Look at how you chamber for your elbow. It needs to be more like that with your punch.

With the transition from punches to kicks you have two choices either punch with your right hand and then pump the arm to get the right kick.

Or as a beginner punch with the left hand and then throw the right kick.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you, I think it is happening when sparring though, I sometimes take some mean hits during my strikes and that may be the reason why. Also we don't really use a punching bag often in the dojo, it is there but we often do not use it during class, so I think he is catching me do this in sparring, that or the wavemaster maybe?

The way you set up with no angles square on and trying to throw those straight shots makes you a big fat target.

For your guard.
Just rest your right elbow on your chest and Nestlé your fist into your cheek. You can float your left out but don't chicken wing.

Last edited: