More guns than you thought.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
On the well regulated militia...common misconception. The phrase "the people" is important. Why would the framers of the constitution mean the people as individuals in the first and fourth amendments, but not the second.

People who commit crimes with guns should be punished accordingly. Law abiding citizens should not be forced to give up rights for the misdeeds of the few. As a prosecutor, competetive shooter, and ocassional hunter I have very strong views on gun crime. Conversely, I realize that the right to keep and bear arms is just as important as my other rights in our constitutional framework

The framers went to great lengths to create checks and balances. The people (as a well regulated militia) serve as one of those checks. For some musings on Liberty and gun rights try reading James Wasserman's The Slave's Shall Serve

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't own any gun but I've thought about gettin gone for home/self defense. Problem is, I have a lot of kids and don't have the time for proper schooling for myself and not ready for the various safety vs accesibility thoughts

So..I learn Tae Kwon Do instead. My foot won't accidentally go off through carelessness and I don't have to worry about my kids getting to it when I'm not looking

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps it's studying Psychology for so long that leads me to think that most people are at least a *little* nuts, and I wouldn't want most people to be armed with more than a fork with a cork on the end of it.

That will do it. Seriously though, we make the most dangerous weapon in the civilian arsenal availible to anyone at age 16, few truly learn how to use them, there are no background checks, license requirements are a joke, and the penalties for violating them near non-existent. They kill almost as many people each year as died in Vietnam, and people are getting worse, not better about them.

try reading James Wasserman's The Slave's Shall Serve
Strong second of this one.

I don't own any gun but I've thought about gettin gone for home/self defense. Problem is, I have a lot of kids and don't have the time for proper schooling for myself and not ready for the various safety vs accesibility thoughts
And by saying this you show that you understand what is needed to own a gun responsibly, and that you are not going to take that step right now; fair enough and good for you. (But isn't it nice to know that you can if and when you choose!)

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
If someone more savy on searching things on the net wants to look it up. U.S. code title 10 section 311. I believe covers the definition of militia.

kelly

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
I wouldn't want most people to be armed with more than a fork with a cork on the end of it.
Hmmm.

I could see that in the Constitution:

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear a Fork with a Cork on the end of it shall not be infringed."

Hehe.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Hmmm.

I could see that in the Constitution:

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear a Fork with a Cork on the end of it shall not be infringed."

Hehe.
lol - or, "...the right of the people who are deemed to have good impulse control and low psychoses, to keep and bear...."

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kelly keltner said:
If someone more savy on searching things on the net wants to look it up. U.S. code title 10 section 311. I believe covers the definition of militia.

kelly
Section 311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are - (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Section 311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are - (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
So I'm not part of the national militia, being a civilian woman?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
So I'm not part of the national militia, being a civilian woman?
Not officially of the "organized" militia, if you didn't join. But of the unorganized one, we are....

- Ceicei

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
*Sigh*

Still, I am concerned as to why we are so friggin' armed... and why people think it is seemingly the most important right in the Constitution. (When it is about having an armed militia.)

Please, pig-pile on the hippy now.

*Pig pile on the hippy* *pig pile on the hippy!*

Hey Fiesty!

Why are we so heavily armed?

1) Because we CAN be.

2) Guns are cooler than tattoos, less painful (well, most of the time), and twice as addictive.

3) Fond memories of childhood bonding with siblings and parents.

4) We ARE a more democratic nation when we have means to protect ourselves from oppression.

5) The challenge and reward of marksmanship.

6) It ties into our national self image as rugged outdoorsmen and individualists.

7) See #2.

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
*Pig pile on the hippy* *pig pile on the hippy!*

Hey Fiesty!

Why are we so heavily armed?

1) Because we CAN be.

2) Guns are cooler than tattoos, less painful (well, most of the time), and twice as addictive.

3) Fond memories of childhood bonding with siblings and parents.

4) We ARE a more democratic nation when we have means to protect ourselves from oppression.

5) The challenge and reward of marksmanship.

6) It ties into our national self image as rugged outdoorsmen and individualists.

7) See #2.
I like this one.:ultracool

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
I guess no one is going to bite on my veiled call for automobile control.....
Considering the one little old lady we have here in town who I think has been in 2-3 "fender benders" herself... possibly.

But then, of course, you're taking away transportation, which in our sprawled country is difficult unless you're in a city or planned community of a certain kind.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But we kill almost 50,000 people a year!!! Cars are evil!!!!

(In all serious, we have danger on all sides in our lives, and some people are just not smar or responsible enough to be trusted with such things. Of course I also firmly believ that were it not for 1) bigger, stronger vehicles 2) airbags 3) Radical advances in emergency medicine and trauma centers the numbers would be 4-6 times higher

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why do we need weapons?

To secure our personal safety and the freedoms we cherish. Protect them from enemies foreign and domestic that is. Here's what just two of the founders had to say:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good. "

And:

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizen's firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference— they deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes— we need them every hour. ."

George Washington

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. " [NOTE: By force he meant ARMS]

Patrick Henry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please read this explanation of what the amendment meant in period English, and the events surrounding the American revolution and the creation of the 2nd amendment, which is merely an acknowledgement of a G-d given natural right to self defense: http://www.gunowners.org/op9401.htm

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
1.7 guns per person, that's roughly 476,000,000...God bless America
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

On a Martial Arts forum?!?! That's funny! :)

E

Escrima Demon

My dad says its great we are so well armed > and that it protects the ability of stupid people who don't understand the intent of the US Constitutions founders to make stupid comments freely without the fear of oppression or arrest by the government.

But I just like to shoot targets with adult supervision.

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A plow or prairie wagon would more correctly fall into the "Towable field ordinance" category :apv: :uhyeah:

Actually the founders intended us to be armed on a parity with the military.. we must regain this lost right ASAP in order to keep pace with technology..

Latest Discussions