Moo Duk Kwan?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by aricept
Style name? I would respond Chung Do Kwan. We can trace our roots back to Jhoon Rhee - the man we consider the "founder" of our style was the American who brought Rhee to the states, Atlee Chittim. We call him the founder because when Rhee switched to the ITF, Chittim continued to do what he was originally taught.

We've also borrowed a couple of forms from close association with other styles. For instance, Chittim was close with Robert Trias, so we do a version of the Goju-Shorei form Gopaisho. So we aren't really "pure" Chung Do Kwan.

Interesting. Do you happen to know what year Jhoon Rhee came to the US?

(I apologize to the TSD people for taking this thread off topic.)

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Sorry aricept, but I just couldn't wait for your reply. ;)

I found a website that answered my own question. He came here in 1956.

http://www.masterrhee.com/

In response to arnisador's question: Jhoon Rhee teaches TKD. However, it seems as though he has become WTF affiliated, which would mean that the style of TKD he teaches would have moved away from the Chung Do Kwan style of TKD that aricept and I are familiar with.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

A

aricept

Originally posted by Zepp
Sorry aricept, but I just couldn't wait for your reply. ;)

I found a website that answered my own question. He came here in 1956.

http://www.masterrhee.com/

In response to arnisador's question: Jhoon Rhee teaches TKD. However, it seems as though he has become WTF affiliated, which would mean that the style of TKD he teaches would have moved away from the Chung Do Kwan style of TKD that aricept and I are familiar with.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

He actually came over in 1955, but had to return to Korea shortly afterwards to do some time in the military, then came back in '56.

Brief history of Rhee, as I understand it: He originally taught Chung Do Kwan - the pyong an set, chul-gi, yun-be, etc. Then at some point General Choi, founder of the ITF visited him and told him the things that were going on in Korea - namely, the switch to calling the art Tae Kwon Do, and the new pattern set he had developed, the Chang Hon set. So Rhee started teaching ITF Tae Kwon Do.

Later Rhee formed his own style, which he calls the "Jhoon Rhee System of Tae Kwon Do." Has its own pattern set, I'm given to understand. The first pattern is called Jayoo, and means "freedom".

That's what I've been able to figure out from my research, anyway. :)

Latest Discussions