Monsanto's GMO Corn Linked to Organ Failure

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was tempted to title this thread "Eat Doritos, Kill Your Liver" but prudence prompted hyperbole. That said, as martial artists, who may or may not be concerned with long term health, we may need to pay more attention to this subject.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/monsantos-gmo-corn-linked_n_420365.html

"Effects were mostly concentrated in kidney and liver function, the two major diet detoxification organs, but in detail differed with each GM type. In addition, some effects on heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells were also frequently noted. As there normally exists sex differences in liver and kidney metabolism, the highly statistically significant disturbances in the function of these organs, seen between male and female rats, cannot be dismissed as biologically insignificant as has been proposed by others. We therefore conclude that our data strongly suggests that these GM maize varieties induce a state of hepatorenal toxicity....These substances have never before been an integral part of the human or animal diet and therefore their health consequences for those who consume them, especially over long time periods are currently unknown."

What do you think?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think Monsanto's approach to patenting and modifying crops, and their alleged tactics are most disturbing. Have you watched the movie 'Food Inc'? I recommend!

We won't know what the GM health implications are for another 50 odd years I guess. But that's true for mobile phones too. I eat a lot of Soya / Corn based stuff, but I try to make sure none of it is GM, and none of it is Monsanto. It bugs me paying more for organic, non-GM veg though.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately Monsanto have been accused of putting profit before safety many times in the past. Personally, I could no longer believe anything they have to say.

That aside, I believe that GM, properly done, is the key to guaranteeing the future food supply on the planet. There are many examples of successful GM crops and if you want to be technical, animal husbandry over the centuries has been a process of gene modification.

I draw the line when someone wants to produce pink, chocolate flavored sweet corn just because you can!

BTW ... The original quote should have included the information that the adverse effects were found in rats, not humans, and there are no details given as to how the trial was conducted, whether the corn consumed was sole diet or more than normal food supply etc.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That aside, I believe that GM, properly done, is the key to guaranteeing the future food supply on the planet. There are many examples of successful GM crops and if you want to be technical, animal husbandry over the centuries has been a process of gene modification.

GM crops are the key to the end of life as we know it. When you have one genetic line, then one mutated disease kills them all. Previous manipulations did not leave us with a single genetic example of each crop.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
GM crops are the key to the end of life as we know it. When you have one genetic line, then one mutated disease kills them all. Previous manipulations did not leave us with a single genetic example of each crop.

It would be nice if the people who own Monsanto could be held liable for the harm that they do. Damn LLCs, I wonder if the protection is what allows companies to do this?

Latest Discussions