mom vs me in karate who win?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't make you mom mad. She was getting the work in. You are fortunate to have such an active mom.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi and thx for watching,

I agree with you about yoga but i was just having fun of her. I still think that for fighting skill karate is still better than yoga.I am a bit surprise you give ehr as the winner. it was her first time ever trying a martial art... :(
That's her first time? I think your mom can fight. The punches looked like she punched before. She kept her hands up in a decent fighting position. sometimes our parents have done things that we don't know about. They have their own lives. Fom the video your moves too well for this to be her first time punching and avoiding being punched. She moves like she understands what she needs to do.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it's awesome that you got your mom to participate. She obviously supports your training and has interest in what you do. You're lucky to have a mom like that. :)

BTW: Great video, thanks for posting it.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I didn't even know yoga practitioners could fight like that. Well, you got to remember, mamas do spank.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps not, but considering the poster was a child brave enough to post video of himself to strangers and that the match was clearly more fun than competitive, I was surprised by the tone of some responses.

Jowga's observation that mom knew what she was doing was the most insightful IMO.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps not, but considering the poster was a child brave enough to post video of himself to strangers and that the match was clearly more fun than competitive, I was surprised by the tone of some responses.

Jowga's observation that mom knew what she was doing was the most insightful IMO.
Yes but he asked the question who won. If he just posted a video saying hey this is me sparring then it'd have been different but he asked plainly who won as I have a bet and put a wink face obviously assuming everyone was going to say him. People just told the truth simple as that. It'd be worse to lie to him. By being honest he can look at it and learn. Yes it was just a fun thing but he wanted to know who won and people told him. I see no problem with that

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't say anyone should lie to him.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi guys,

My mom is a yoga coach, she was tired and tell her yoga is useless and easy so she challenged me in my sport. We have a bet on it so for you who did win?

Thx ;)

Hey John, the lesson to take here is not that you did anything wrong. You were giving up a lot of reach and you maintained better form than your mom did, even while she was landing more strikes.

The lesson to take away is that your mom is awesome. If that's really her first time sparring in a martial art then she did remarkably. She maintained a good stance, kept moving the whole time, kept calm, kept her hands up, and threw lots of accurate strikes with good control. I've very seldom seen anyone do that well their first time sparring if they haven't trained before. Heck, I've seen lots of guys who did have training on how to strike who fell apart more the first time they sparred.

Give our compliments to your mom and I suggest you take her yoga classes in addition to your Karate.

OP
J

john49000

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys thx for all of your answer,

at the end of the fight mom claim the victory but me too i claim it that's why I did post the video and ask honest opinion. But well, I didnt show to my mom your answer :p so we did decide to make another match..

This time it has not work great for me. At 0.51 min of the first round she landed a kick right on my stomach and it has KO me... end of the fight end of the story... As a forfeit on it I have to do all her chores alone during 6 month..

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good on you, for having another go. Your mom has some athletic ability, and as an adult has some natural advantages over you. Keep working at it, and keep pressure testing what you learn - that's how you find your own weaknesses.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I ask who posted the original video on You Tube? It seems to be part of someone's series of videos on there. Is it the people you train with?

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hi guys,

My mom is a yoga coach, she was tired and tell her yoga is useless and easy so she challenged me in my sport. We have a bet on it so for you who did win?

Thx ;)

She has fighter spirit, but she lacks technique.

Latest Discussions