"Modern Arnis: The Next Generation"

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the article, "Modern Arnis: The Next Generation" (Black Belt Magazine, August 1998, by Paul O' Grady, M.S.), he wrote of the next generation being: Dan Anderson, Rick Lee Ward, Eric Alexander, Jaye Spiro, Tim Hartman, and Michael Donavan.

Who are the people listed above, what is their current contribution to Modern Arnis, and who do see as the up and coming leaders in Modern Arnis?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who do the men mentioned above consider to be the students they now have that will impact the art the most

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Who do the men mentioned above consider to be the students they now have that will impact the art the most

Hey There, Shadowchaser,

Very nice idea and twist on the thread; the students of new generation that followed and trained with the late Professor.

My choices would be:

Sifu Peter Vargas, Guro Oscar Lopez and Guro Dan Maize who learned under PG Tom Bolden and are currently members of the American Modern Arnis Associates. They all can be seen on the video clips from the AMAA site found on this forum under the video section.

From my own Independent Escrima-Kenpo Arnis Associates, I would refer people to Guro Richard Curren, Guro Tim Kashino, Guro Paul Martin and Guro Keith Roosa. Kashino and Martin can be found on the video series filmed at the Modern Arnis Symposium. I do not know of any video of Curren and Roosa at this time.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

kruzada

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I only recognize two of these new leaders of Modern Arnis, namely Master Dan Anderson and Datu Tim Hartman.

I remember reading the aforementioned Black Belt magazine article and being upset that not one master from the Philippines was mentioned. We are all doing our part to carry the torch for Modern Arnis, but no matter what country you practice Modern Arnis in we should always remember that it is an art that is inextricably bound to the Philippines as it's place of origin, and that there are many Masters and Grandmasters in the Philippines that are willing to share their first hand knowledge of Arnis with us, if we are willing to accept their support and friendship.

One of Grandmaster Remy's dreams was to spread Modern Arnis throughout the world, and he achieved this dream with the help of the friends and followers that he met in America and Europe. But another dream that he held very dear to his heart was that his system would elevate the prestige of Arnis in the Philippines, so that Filipinos throughout the country would come to love and appreciate this rare and unique facet of our cultural heritage. The masters in the Philippines have worked very hard to make this dream a reality. Now 4 decades later, with the support of the late Grandmaster Remy Presas, Modern Arnis is the most widely practiced system of Filipino Martial Arts practiced in the Philippines thanks to their combined efforts and members of the newly formed IMAFP. For more information visit www.imafp.com.

I would like to add to the previously mentioned list, the leaders of Modern Arnis that reside in the Philippines, some who have already travelled abroad to share their knowledge of Modern Arnis.

Grandmasters; Roberto Presas and Vicente Sanchez

Senior Masters; Cristino Vasquez, Rodel Dagooc, Rene Tongson, Samuel Dulay, Armando Soteco and Noel Penaredondo

We should all be working together to preserve Grandmaster Remy's art, no matter what country we are from, without all of the bickering and political divisions that have surfaced since his untlmely passing. This is what he would have wanted, and if you carry the name of Modern Arnis, no matter what organization you are from, you should put Grandmaster Remy's vision ahead of your own personal goals and aspirations for the art, because no matter how much time passes, there will always only be one "Father" of Modern Arnis. We should do our best not to tarnish the reputation of his Modern Arnis with the stain of our egos, especially those who are stepping forward to be the Next Generation of Leaders.

-Rich Acosta

Palusut said:
In the article, "Modern Arnis: The Next Generation" (Black Belt Magazine, August 1998, by Paul O' Grady, M.S.), he wrote of the next generation being: Dan Anderson, Rick Lee Ward, Eric Alexander, Jaye Spiro, Tim Hartman, and Michael Donavan.

Who are the people listed above, what is their current contribution to Modern Arnis, and who do see as the up and coming leaders in Modern Arnis?

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response and info.

It appeared that the article had a US regional view of the leaders at the time, i.e, "Southeastern US", "Northeastern US..."

Thanks again,

-Palusut

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:

Dan has his book series, Tim's touring the globe.
3 of the others I've never heard of, and another seems more a regional player. No disrespect meant.

There are names that could/should be on that list that aren't that I have heard of. (Kelly & Dieter for example)

The folks who split off, went in different directions, etc, while most likely solid martial artists, can't be counted as they do their thing, not Remys.

There are numerous individuals who are excellent players, who's names aren't well known. Maybe part of the problem is that with all the factions in motion, people get less notice? Heck, for all the events I've been at, I can't name 3 top Arnis up and comers. 3 folks I've banged with on a regular basis, Arni, Rich parsons and Paul J.

(Sorry, rambling. Bit preoccupied)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True. One can be an excellent player either way. But I think to be a leader, one has to get outside the regions.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be a leader one has to have a vision...a goal to lead to.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its one thing to have a national presence and another have national and international influence.

Most of the MA organizations have only regional influence and they pale in comparison to the TKD juggernaut associations.

On the MA side, its hard to argue with an organization that has the number of black belts like DAV even though its in Germany. And I'm sure any US host would love to have turnouts like they have had over there for some of the european martial arts festivals.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
One must take into context the time when the article was written. A number of us were a bit more visible then. The "leaders" of the art are basically all of us now, whether mentioned in the article or not. Since we are the next generation, I think I can safely say for all of us that we are continuing Modern Arnis into the next millenium in our own ways.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Things seem more focused on organizations these days than individuals--the two IMAFs, WMAA, MARPPIO, etc.

chris arena

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Mr Rich Acosta. The family head of Modern Arnis is in the Philipines and within the Presas Family. Although there are many highly skilled Senior Masters, Masters, Datu's and MOTTs there is no inherited or designated grandmaster in my opinion. Anyone outside of the family thinking so in my opinion is way out of line.

If this art is to grow, then we should be able to have our seperate organizations within the systems like we have now. I really enjoy all of them. Datu Worden, Dan Anderson. Dieter and the like all have valuable information for all of us, as well as those I have not mentioned.

But what about the family? Why do many of these groups ignore Dr. Remy Presas Jr. He has given up his previous career to present his father's art. Does not claim to be a grandmaster, but is not invited to many of the Modern Arnis seminars?? I just don't understand! He has been training hard with the Filipine Senior Masters, lives in the US, but is not bieng invited to many of the Modern Arnis Groups! In my opinion, this is a matter of respect for the art. Plain and simple. Any grandmaster in my opinion should be the decision of the Presas family only. As to who and when this may is entirely up to thier discression.

Chris Arena
(enthusiastic intermediate)

kruzada

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Chris for your reply, but I do not want to misrepresent IMAFP's, or the Presas family's intentions.

While I do agree that there should be more effort to support Dr. Remy Presas, and other members of the Presas family, it is unfortunately highly unlikely that all of the MA organizations will come to recognize a single individual as the sole heir to Modern Arnis.

No matter what our individual opinions on this subject may be, we will have to just wait and see what role the Presas family members will play in Modern Arnis, internationally, in the years to come.

IMAFP's mission, to my knowledge, is to offer their resources and support to the various MA organizations throughout the world in the simple spirit of friendship and comraderie. To help promote unity in the international Modern Arnis community.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
There are numerous individuals who are excellent players, who's names aren't well known. Maybe part of the problem is that with all the factions in motion, people get less notice? Heck, for all the events I've been at, I can't name 3 top Arnis up and comers. 3 folks I've banged with on a regular basis, Arni, Rich parsons and Paul J.

Just to ramble a bit my self...

Some have decided not to BE well known.

I decided, probably a short time ago relatively speaking, that I don't want to be the product. I don't want to be the iconic individual that followers follow, and followers of other clans scrutinize. I want my training company to be known and my programs to be known for the value they have on there own. I decided that I am not for sale.

So, if I am not well known, I am more then OK with that, because I don't want to be the product anyhow.

I also decided that the best thing I could do for my late teacher, and for the art, was to walk away from all the B.S. and the politics that Professor didn't care for anyways. I support others who train and lead Modern Arnis how ever I can; yet, I walk my own path. I am continiously developing my own programs, and I give credit where it is due to Modern Arnis and Professor. I find that I am able to positively influence more people this way, and my programs have remained on the cutting edge since I made that decision.

My goal isn't to be the next generation of anything... and I think that Professor would be proud of my decision....

Paul

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
kruzada said:
Thank you Chris for your reply, but I do not want to misrepresent IMAFP's, or the Presas family's intentions.

While I do agree that there should be more effort to support Dr. Remy Presas, and other members of the Presas family, it is unfortunately highly unlikely that all of the MA organizations will come to recognize a single individual as the sole heir to Modern Arnis.

No matter what our individual opinions on this subject may be, we will have to just wait and see what role the Presas family members will play in Modern Arnis, internationally, in the years to come.

IMAFP's mission, to my knowledge, is to offer their resources and support to the various MA organizations throughout the world in the simple spirit of friendship and comraderie. To help promote unity in the international Modern Arnis community.

Hello Kruzada,

I can lend support to your statements within the last paragraph of your post. It has been my experience that the IMAFP members have been very open and supportive of other groups working in the Modern Arnis style. The Tipunan program in Anaheim this past August was a good example of the intentions of the IMAFP to work in a cooperative venture with everyone. The upcoming event in Boston - 2006, will be another opportunity for people to come together in the spirit of cooperation and reflection.

The difficulty is that some people in other Modern Arnis groups have chosen to stand apart from the IMAFP and/or make critical negative comments about who was absent from the Tipunan. The nay-sayer(s) never mentioned the fact that those absent people made a conscious and deliberate decision to pass on attending the 2005 gathering.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Dan has his book series, Tim's touring the globe.
3 of the others I've never heard of, and another seems more a regional player. No disrespect meant.

There are names that could/should be on that list that aren't that I have heard of. (Kelly & Dieter for example)

The folks who split off, went in different directions, etc, while most likely solid martial artists, can't be counted as they do their thing, not Remys.

Bob,

You've got quite a double standard going in your reponse. Whose 'thing' was Remy doing? Are you telling us that Modern Arnis can only be done as Remy did it?

With regard to some of the folks who split off, a good number of them are in fact solid and productive martial artists. Simply because you do not know them, have not trained with them or heard of them, does not in any way invalidate their contributions to Moden Arnis. Given that you have a very short and limit history within the art, perhaps you would do do well to broaden your perspectives before making such glittering generalities within your posts.

I'm not sure where you were going with you comment about Rich, Paul and Arni, so some clarification would be appricated. I appriciate your contributions to Modern Arnis via this forum, however, there is a still a great deal that you could and should learn about Modern Arnis and then demonstrate through some new video clips.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:

So far I am the only one who has given you a response to your very insightful question, shadowchaser. I must confess to being a bit mystified as to why this querry has been neglected. Modern Arnis, as with any other generational endevour can only survive if there is a next generation of teachers. The current group of teachers is not going to last forever.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D

Latest Discussions