Modern Arnis Lineage List or chart

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by Bob, Nov 20, 2002.

1. arnisador

arnisador Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I have heard of some karate and TKD organizations that use a provisional/temporary/probationary 0th dan belt for 6 months to a year. But I also had heard that the extra brown belt and extra black belt ranks were typos of just the form you had mentioned.

Have it been decided how you will recieve your next promotion when the time comes? From the DAV as an organization, or from the 8th degree in the Philippines, or from respected martial artists in other styles?

2. DoctorB

DoctorB Guest

We are in agreement on this point. As I noted in my post, Sifu Don Zanghi, taught Tracy Kenpo and Modern Arnis as "matching partners" from white belt through black belt. He was also the first IMAF Area Representative and he was John Bryant's, instructor in both arts until, John, cut a back-door deal with professor, to get his lakan rating, plus open the Filipino Martial Arts Academy. I did mention that John exclusively taught Modern Arnis. As such he was the first 'full time' Modern Arnis School in the area, but *most definately not* the first Modern Arnis program.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

3. DoctorB

DoctorB Guest

Tim,

I want to make a couple of corrections to your list.

John Bryant, is Professor's student, not Don Zanghi's. John only completed is first level brown belt at Fighting Back Institute. He cut a deal with professor to receive his lakan rating and then opened the FMAA with Professor's blessing. That opened a very large wound that never quite healed between the three men. It also adversely affected David Smith and Tammy Wilson, because there were aspects of the Modern Arnis program that Sifu Don had learned and taught after the split, but we, the nexxt group of students were never allowed to share any of that information with anyone from the FMAA. If you think back to your student days there, we almost never attended any of Proofessor's seminars at the FMAA, nor did you or your classmates attend the seminars at FBI. Isn't interesting when you think about it, Professor did two seminars in the Buffalo area on the same weekend but for the most part the students and instrucors of the FMAA and FBI, only went to one! John Bryant is Professor's student!

Richard Curren and Tom Verga are actually Lakan Isa. They each tested after being awared their Lakan's in Michigan that they attended with you as the lead instructor frooom the Buffalo. Richrad received his lakan isa in North Carolina and Tom's was in Philidelphia. Please update your records.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

4. DoctorB

DoctorB Guest

Thanks Arnisador,

This stuff brings back both good and bad memories. Perhaps now some readers will have a better appriciation of just how
    well I and some others from the late 70's know about the foibles and strengths of the late Professor.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

5. Dieter

Dieter Brown Belt

• Founding Member
    OK, I don´t know about the US. Here in Germany it is not used at all.

Very good question. This problem (not my personal situation but the general problem) is exactly the question and the reason, why I initiated the thread: "Grandmaster of Modern Arnis", that you can find here.

I am in the same situation as Tim Harman, Randi Shea, Dan Anderson etc., so people, that are heading a Modern Arnis group.
    For us in Germany it is not such an unusual situation, to make gradings and promotions, because we have been doing that for 20 years now (not that high though). We always had our grading requirements.

But in the US it is different I think, because all the degrees came from Remy before.

As far as it conserns me, it is not in my hands and nothing is decided. I will let you know if/when it happens.

I think, as the situation is now, (and not only for me but for all the others in that situation) the first two solutions that you propose are honorable ones, the third one is not really acceptable or relevant. I could not imagine accepting a Modern Arnis degree from somebody with no connections in the Modern Arnis world.

But this topic will come up eventually, when student levels get higher (4th and 5th Dans), that the organisations have to to think about, what and how to handle the degree of the person at the top.

I think it has to be discussed and thought about.

I would appreciate to hear other other opinions about this topic, or even make another thread out of this.

Best reards from Germany

Dieter Knüttel
    Datu of Modern Arnis

6. DoctorB

DoctorB Guest

Hello Dieter,

It seems to me that this is an issue that a number of people have stead-fastly avoided trying to answer, because that same question has been asked on this forum several times in the past by several different people.

I have suggested that we could open a thread to discuss this matter or it could be a topic for discussion at the upcoming 2003 Symposium. If people would like that to happen at the Symposium, they will have to write me or post the request on
    this forum.

It is a very real concern - just how does one go above the 6th degree level that seems to be the upper limit of ranks in the USA, Canada and Europe? Seems to me that this needs to be discussed.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

7. oatmeal

oatmeal White Belt

Been a while since posts on this subject, but I remember two guys from Massachusetts that ran a school called Kicks and Sticks. They both had black belts awarded by Remy Presas. I believe they were direct students of his. The school is closed now. Not sure if they are still active.

Ernie Laberge - 4th or 5th degree
    Dave Belanger - 1st or 2nd degree