Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings-

Due to the preparation for the upcoming camp, as well as running my business, I’ve been less visible than usual. Much has been happening behind the scenes. This post will be to update everyone on the latest developments.

First of all, we have lost two of the instructors, Bram and Edessa. When you announce an event eighteen months prior to its occurrence, there is always the risk of unforeseen conflicts. One example is that Edessa’s husband was deployed to Afghanistan. In support of her husband, she has joined him and is doing contract work. As nice as it would be to have everyone at the event, sometimes things don’t go as planned. I have received confirmation from the rest of the instructors, and unless there are unforeseen emergencies, everyone will be there.

Second, there seems to be a little confusion with the registration process. We do not offer registration via Face Book. To register, you must either mail the registration form with payment or contact me at [email protected] to make other arrangements. We are past the early bird discount. The camp rate is now $399. Group rates are still available of 20% off for groups of 5 or more.

Third, the event hotel (Best Western Plus) is about to release the block of rooms reserved for the event. The rooms are either 2 double or 1 king size bed. The room rate is $99 per night plus taxes.

Finally, we have several special guests attending the camp: GM Max Pallen – Senkotiros, GM Ron Van Browning - San Soo Kung Fu and GM Kim Foreman – DKI. These were friends of Prof Presas who wanted to be part of our remembrance of the Prof. They will be sharing some of their stories about the Prof and Modern Arnis history and, with a little convincing, we may be able to get them to do a demonstration or two.

If there are any further questions, I can be reached at 716-771-1291 or [email protected] .

I’m looking forward to seeing some old friends and well as making new ones.

Respectfully Yours,
Datu Tim Hartman
www.presasarnis.com

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just read the thread where Datu Worden isn't going to be able to make the camp. Bummer. I was really looking forward to seeing him teach.

I'm having problems getting to Buffalo myself, but I should be there tomorrow afternoon around the dinner break. (If all goes right and I can make the flight.) I'll miss the first training session, but I should be there for the rest of the camp.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Modern Arnis Reunion Camp is probably the best, most fun martial arts camp I've been to in the past 10 years. Great people, lots of cool stuff being shown, and I've done over 1,100 photos, so far. 1 more day, I might hit 1,500 shots!

At tonights dinner, they mentioned 64 attendees, not counting instructors, guests and at least a dozen folks who popped in to say hello for a little bit.

Here's some shots of the 1st 2 days, I'll have more up later.

$IMG_4309.jpg$IMG_4289.jpg$IMG_4231.jpg$IMG_4199.jpg$IMG_4163.jpg$IMG_4132.jpg$IMG_4123.jpg$IMG_4113.jpg$IMG_4111.jpg$IMG_4092.jpg

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Had a great past two days here (I missed Thursday). As Bob has said this camp has been excellent and as the name says it was a reunion, it has been a great time of healing. Kudos go to Tim (and Janice) for putting this thing together and to all of the instructors who have taught here. Likewise the other students that I have worked with on the mat have been great (and as it has been stressed), all of this together has made this to be a great camp.

One thing that has impressed me is how far, how different, the instructors here have taken the art and made it their own. Being a camp and seminar junkie I have seen, worked with, taken instruction from many of the instructors (at seminars) in the past. I think I hadn't seen Rick Manglinong, or Rich Parsons, or Mrs. Foreman; but other them that I had seen everyone in one format or another, some several times. After GM Remy passed it seemed that some instructors taught much the same way he did, now I believe the instruction has gotten much better. Everyone is making the art their own and it was shown in the variety of instructors here. Lets face it, Remy was a great person and a great demo instructor, but he really never (in all of the camps I went to with him, all of the seminars,) got into the depth, the how to, the why, behind the techniques; to the level that it seems his top students are now taking the art. NOT that they are better then Remy, but the instruction has gotten better. I also believe the art has gotten better with the diversity.

Mark

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best. Camp. Ever.
IMO.

I didn't get out of there until almost 4pm today.
I am sooo very glad I shoot digital.
If I was shooting film...I'd owe Kodak a new plant I think.

Final tally of shots: 1,457
Thursday: 343
Friday: 319
Saturday: 555
Sunday: 240

Gonna take a week to work through them and process :)

The feeling I had at the end, was one I haven't felt in a long time. Sadness. Sadness that it was over.
I could tell that the instructors were having a blast....like kids playing. You could see how much they love the arts, how much they loved sharing.
It was a good time. Some people weren't able to make it. We missed them. Most notable was the absence of Datu Worden. His letter was read at the opening of the camp, and he's commented on some of the Facebook updates on his regrets as being unable to make it, and his happiness that it was so much of a success.

The egos, I didn't see them. The politics, I didn't hear them. Just a great tribute to GM Remy Presas, by some older and wiser friends and students of his, who put aside old issues, traveled great distances, and made a hell of an event happen.

Thank you. That was something I was glad to be part of.

And only 1 mirror had to die. ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome time! It sounds like it was everything that it was supposed to be, and you said it Bob....a time for the Senior students of GM Remy, as well as of FMAists, to come together, to check the BS at the door, and to teach, and share the wonderful art that was left to us.

I still wish that I could've made it, but hopefully, this will be an event that happens again, in the future. :)

And BTW, very nice shots!!!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you. Personally, I'd love to see something happen on a regular basis. Every couple years try and do another mega camp.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2nd Sunday group shot. I think I counted 64 people in this pic. We did a number of smaller group shots on Friday, Saturday and Sunday so that as many people as possible could have shots of their clubs, orgs and groups with the guests and instructors.

$IMG_4941.jpg

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi All,

The camp…three days of good will, good classes, good students, and good teachers. This camp was one of the most positive camps I have ever been to. This camp ended up being very personal for me as well.

High points:
Jimmy Thomas being willing to pick me up at the airport after a colossal kerfluffle at Charlotte airport.

Chuck Gauss – I have only peripherally known him over the years. We’ve hardly spoken three paragraphs to each other. I told Brian Zawilinski that one of the goals I had for this camp was to get to know Chuck. What passion the man has for Remy and Modern Arnis! That’s the best word I can come up with for him – passion.

Rich Parsons. I got to reconnect with my balintawak eskrima teacher, Manong Ted Buot, through Rich Parsons. I hadn’t seen Rich for several years but we’ve always maintained a decent communication line. One thing he and I share is a love for Filipino Martial Arts and he is willing to share with anyone interested.

Maria Zawilinski. Brian has told me of his wife for some time now and his commitment to his marriage and her. I finally go to meet her. I told her “You know, I don’t even know you but right away I like you.” You know how that happens when sometimes when you meet someone? Maria is one of those people. Way to go, Brian! On an added note it always great to see my little brother, Brian.

Speaking of Brian, another Brian (Johns) received his Master Instructor certificate in the IMAF. Brian Johns is one of those guys who quietly goes about his business teaching and propagating Modern Arnis. Quietly, yet, no less passionately. Congratulations, Brian!

Picking on Dieter Knuttel. Every time we see each other we start sniping away, very good naturedly of course. We just pick up where we left off. Good fun. His energy and enthusiasm never ceases to amaze me.

Watching the students just eat up the instruction. Such enthusiasm and willingness to learn. Watching each instructor ramp up the energy of the group by his presense.

Seeing that each instructor had taken what he had learned from Remy Presas and stepped forward with it, perfecting it, modifying it according to the personality of the presenter. Sweet. These are just high points I can think of after several days of intense training/teaching while I sit here in the airport lamenting the fact that my laptop is refusing to connect me up with the Boston Logan airport wifi.

I have a bit of a confession to make. I was a bit skeptical about how much of a reunion the Reunion Camp would be. I’ve been to many camps when RP was alive and several after his passing and definitely involved in the “aftermath wars.” A lot has happened since the passing of Remy Presas and not a whole lot of it has been unifying or uniting. Like I said, I was skeptical. Well, several things have happened in the last year that foretold what could happen at this camp.
Brian Zawilinski invited Rich Parsons and Tim Hartman to guest teach at the IMAF Connecticut Camp. In April, I had Bram Frank and Kelly Worden at my school with me to present the Stick & Steel II FMA Seminar. Both were howling successes. Both had several of the camp instructors at each. This gave a possibility of what could happen at the Reunion Camp. Unfortunately, several of the initially selected instructors couldn’t make it. That happens at any major event and is a fact of life. The show must go on.

What happened at the camp is that my skepticism was unwarranted. From top (instructors) to bottom (lowest ranking student) is went as smooth as glass. You know how you can go to any camp and there are factions or cliques? None here. NONE. Across the boards every person here was here for one reason: to make the camp a success. By the time the first day of the camp was ended I saw how it was going to go. It was going to go as smooth as butter.
In my opinion this camp was an unqualified success. I would love to say it was successful because [insert your favorite reason here if it includes the fact that I attended] but that would be untrue. It succeeded for roughly 70-75 reasons; the attendees, instructors, guests of the camp, the host and Janice Strance. Every one of these people is responsible for its success.

On a personal note, something unexpectedly amazing happened. It is no secret that Tim and I have had our ups and downs over the years. This camp cut through all the “stuff” and we have hit the reset button. At the camp banquet Tim delivered a very eloquent speech about the people who have helped him over the years and at the end, he also very eloquently spoke of the ups and downs he went through with the Modern Arnis community the years after Remy’s death. During the conclusion of his speech he apologized for any upsets he created. The amazing thing is that when he apologized he was looking me straight in the eyes. I took this personally as a public apology to me.

Tim, it’s a two-way street and it takes another person contributing to the scene to have ups and downs with. I most certainly added to the mix. As I texted you that night, apology accepted without reservation. Also publicly, you have my apology without reservation for my contribution to the ups and downs between us. As far as you and I are concerned, I have hit the reset button. Amazing – me and Kelly and me and you in such a short space of time!

I hear Prof. Presas off in the distance saying, “Oh wow! This is beautiful.”

You and Janice and everyone pulled it off. It was a reunion camp. It had the feel of a good reunion. Some people were saying “Let’s do it again!” Well, I agree another camp like this would be stunning but I don’t know if we could replicate it because of the special reason we all came together for. A special camp happens for special reasons. I don’t think any of us wants 10 years of intra-family squabbles just so we can reunite again. But I tell you one thing, it is a hell of a start for us getting together periodically for a “family camp” of sorts. This one worked beautifully and there is no reason that it could not work again.
For those of you who missed it, you missed something special. You really did. Well, there will be another “family gathering” sometime in the future. Come to that one and you can experience some really good will.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Last edited:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice write up Dan. :) I'd be interested in hearing a little about what everyone taught. No need to go into a huge breakdown, just some small snips. :)

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mark Lynn would be a good one for that. You should see the amount of notes he takes. I want to see that in a book some day...if it could fit in one volume.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Back home now from a great camp.

I can support all that has been written about.
I was hoping for a good camp (I am a "glass half full" guy) but it was even better as hoped for or expected.

I had to chance to meet several teachers for the first time like Max Pallen, Rick Maglinong, Doug Pierre, Brian Jones (congratulations for your Master-instructor degree again Brian) and more.

I was very happy to get to know Chuck Gauss much better. I hope and am sure, a long frienship will be based on that camp, not only with him but also the others.

Of course training talking and laughing with all friends I knew already like Dan, Tim, Brian, Rich added to the feeling, that one is welcome and that it is not only written, but that we ARE a big Modern Arnis family.

The spirit was high, the energy was high and I have heared no complaint about anything from anybody.
That is not normal but it was not a normal camp either.
No matter what people that were not there will write about it.

Several people came to my to say, that they were not sure to come and they were "sooooo happy" (thats the way they said it) that they were talked into participating.

Much more things can be said about it, but thanks to Tim and Janice, who were perfect hosts, friendly and always having a helping hand for extra wishes.

Thanks to all the instructors for their friendship and willingness to share.

It was a great expericence and well worth the trip from Germany to the US.

One important note:

I WILL TAKE THIS CAMP TO GERMANY!

Most probably 3 days in October or November next year.
Planned instructors are (in no specific order):
Kelly Worden, Dan Anderson, Tim Hartman, Chuck Gauss, Brian Zawilinsky and myself.

All instructors have already agreed to participate, if health allows it.

More information will come and I invite all participants of this years camp (and all others too of course) to least consider the trip to Germany. It would be nice if at least some can come, like 5 of my students also made the trip from Europe to Buffalo.

It will be worthwhile and you WILL meet many new friends in Germany.

Greetings

Dieter Knüttel

Dane

White Belt
Reaction score
First of all thanks for a great camp.

It were me and my families first greater seminar out of Denmark/Germany
We were very excited to see how the other will greet us.
I must say we were greeted with great joy, like thay have had known us for years.
For that we would like to say thanks.

There were many interresting input, intres and ways of doing the things.
With shows that we Arnisadors are one big family, no matter what system we are training.

We hope that there will come many people to Datu Dieter Knüttels camp next year.
Where we are planning to come, and hopefully a few more from Denmark will join us.

Sincerely
Brian Hestehave

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mark Lynn would be a good one for that. You should see the amount of notes he takes. I want to see that in a book some day...if it could fit in one volume.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Thanks for the compliment Dan, but with 26 pages typed for the first day of this camp, I doubt it would fit in one book. Not with the amount of camps I've been to over the years. But who knows maybe a series.

Anyway in a condensed form
Friday

Max Pallen
Mostly with a lecture, covered force to force blocking concepts; force to force allows for the stronger more powerful person to win whereas yielding to force (cushioning blocking) allows for a weaker person to overcome strength. He discuss the reasons for learning Sinawali drills, the three different types of strikes, the use of the punyo, etc. etc. And then we did some drills but mostly he was demonstrating his material to teach us.

GM Rick Manglinon
Taught on the Sinawali drills specifically on the X pattern series
Open X pattern, Reverse X pattern, combining them, and then RH doing all high strikes and LH doing all low strikes vs. Single Sinawali Standard (this was fun).
Then he went over briefly Replacement stepping and then in the Kombatan 24 count feeding pattern (for their combative series), and then he went over the systems 1-4 to answer the strikes found in the 24 count feeding drill. Along with the timing concepts found within those drills. And then what I thought was way cool was that GM Manglinon taught a brief series of drills on his method of dealing with the 2nd stick hand.

In the Kombatan 24 (as in the 14) Count drill one hand is fed and the trainee then defends against it using systems (I call them responses) 1-4. Disarming is also taught in the same manner off of these strikes. GM Manglinon took it one step further by organizing a system of dealing with the other hand so the trainee would defend in a prescribed manner on say count 1 and then answer the other stick hand in a similar prescribed defense. This was a logical progression but one I had never seen before in any Kombatan material or from any other instructor.

And then he tied in the empty hand applications to the above systems and drills.

Well got to go that was just a brief view up to about 11:30 or so (lunch?) on Friday.

Mark

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark! :) Looking forward to reading the rest.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson taught next on disarming.

Dan covered topics like; do disarms work on everyone, foot work that helps set up the disarms, body positioning for disarms, and some basic principles behind disarming. During all of this he had some simple but important drills that backed up or taught these principles/concepts prior to the actual disarming of the strikes. Actually I liked having these drills because sometimes my students struggle with the foot work that helps set up the disarm, and they instead stay flat footed or rooted. Which we all know isn't the right thing to do.

After going over the basic principles Dan then got into going over specific disarms off of Angles 1,2, and 4 (maybe more but I only referenced these) as he described the difference between assisted (striking the person first to distract and set up the disarm) and incidental disarming (striking the person as a result of the disarm).

Tim Hartman taught after Dan on empty hand vs. knife disarming.
Tim basically taught on a module of disarming a person from an escort position and building (or adding on) from there. He started from an escort with both hands on the weapon arm and then moved to disarming different angles of attack but always moving back to the same (similar) positions and finishing techniques. He covered several different angles of attack; escort position, #5 (thrust), #1 (high forehand), #3 (mid level forehand) , #4 (mid level back hand), #5 (thrust).

He also explained his different stages (phases or levels) of training or out comes desired to be applied to the above method of instruction. After this he went to some material that dealt with when both parties have a knife and the hand is grabbed or controlled by the other party. Basically this involved stripping the knife using the flat of the blade against a body part. He covered scenarios including both standing and after taking a person down to the ground.

Chuck Gauss taught next and Brian Johns was his demo partner
Chuck taught on two sticks vs. one material. While I enjoy this type of material and I teach it in my classes, Chuck's take on it was more combative/realistic than I have seen it taught or practiced before. Often times at seminars and such the two on one can get to be aggressive but it is generally just the feeding of the punyos (sweep strokes) or the thrusts where attitude is displayed. Chuck's take was much more aggressive and Brian John's did a good job of hanging in there with him. Of course hearing Chuck's story of training with Remy in the airport and in the hotel room (great stories BTW) I could see why Chuck teaches the way he does. At this point I was working with Ryan (?) one of Datu Tim's students (Ryan congrats on your promotion) so I had a great time with this material.

The following progression was built in stages where he showed/demo'd what we were to do then we went and did it, then we went back and he demonstrated some more, and we went back to did the drill and so on. So each line below represents a new drill building on the previous one.
2 vs. 1
Add in R thrust
A feeds in the high forehand (instead of the thrust) and B counters with block check and counter
A then double blocks (on the outside of B's SH forearm)
A then slices across the stomach with one of his sticks
A RH blocks and LH thrusts
A LH blocks and RH thrusts
As B returns the HBH (the block check and counter), A RH Sweep Stroke entry, B parries with alive hand, combat hit to the checking hand.

Add in the L thrust
B blocks checks and counters (with a high forehand), A double blocks and then push pull disarm.

Then Chuck taught on Tapi Tapi R to R. setting up a pattern with three finishes.

At the end of the night we finished with Ron Van Browning teaching on grappling, groundwork and locking type skills. Since I am not a groundwork, BJJ, etc. etc. practitioner, these are my most incomplete notes. I have no real references to go by to try and name nor describe his material. I was working with Jaye Spiro at this point and we put some of the escapes to the test since I out weigh her by somewhere between 180-200 lbs. After that we changed partners some I worked with Larry who's more my size, now this was educational. The head lock/front choke defense (escape) was the closest I came to blacking out in a long time. In fact I was probably on the verge of going out when I succeeded in gaining a finger and broke the hold. In fact throughout the weekend if I need to really test a technique Larry would be the person I would go to, we had some fun with this stuff and some of the stick locks.

That was Friday.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice Mark! Thank you very much, for taking the time to do these write-ups. :)

Latest Discussions