Modern Arnis and Soke Boards

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
News Flash!

I'm off to Texas to test for induction onto the Grandmasters Council of the World Head of Family Sokeship Council. Did I say test? Yes. Test. Two years ago Bram tested for position on the council and was recognized full grandmaster. His test went for three hours. I've got a feeling I'm headed for the same thing.

Oh, did I forget to say this is the first test I've taken in 28 years? Yikes. Off to Texas. I'll fill you in on how it goes.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
News Flash!

I'm off to Texas to test for induction onto the Grandmasters Council of the World Head of Family Sokeship Council. Did I say test? Yes. Test. Two years ago Bram tested for position on the council and was recognized full grandmaster. His test went for three hours. I've got a feeling I'm headed for the same thing.

Oh, did I forget to say this is the first test I've taken in 28 years? Yikes. Off to Texas. I'll fill you in on how it goes.

Yours,
Dan Anderson
Good luck Dan!

-Harold

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan-o,
I'm bery confused.

Earlier in this string you said "1980 is the year I began training." but just now you said "did I forget to say this is the first test I've taken in 28 years?". 2008-28=1980.

So, you have never tested for any rank in Modern Arnis? Remy just gave you a rank cert? No wonder so many people look at Arnis as a ****ing joke.

Also, what art are you 'testing' to be a grandmaster in? Your karate system? Not your "MA80" style, since you just said you had no tested rank in Arnis. Or are you now teaching Japanese arts to become a "Soke"?

For the record, I'm of the "Only a Japanese teacher of a tradtional Japanese art is a legitimate Soke, all others are frauds" school of thought. Too many white wanna-bes buying credibility to fleese the sheeple out there in my not so subtle opinion.

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
To the last legionary,

I have one question: have you trained in Modern Arnis or any other Filipino Martial Art ?

Take care,
Brian Johns

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow, Pretty strong thoughts that somehow got written down. This is a freindly place. Just to give you some insight. The Professor had a unorthadox method of testing his private students. I'm assured that no one intent to fraudulently represent the promotion of the arts. If we live like the dinosaur we die by the way of the dinosaur. Peace be with you!

Bob Quinn

The Last Legionary

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To the last legionary,

I have one question: have you trained in Modern Arnis or any other Filipino Martial Art ?

Take care,
Brian Johns
Yes.
Do I have to have for the questions and comments to be valid?

The Last Legionary

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, Pretty strong thoughts that somehow got written down. This is a freindly place. Just to give you some insight. The Professor had a unorthadox method of testing his private students. I'm assured that no one intent to fraudulently represent the promotion of the arts. If we live like the dinosaur we die by the way of the dinosaur. Peace be with you!

Bob Quinn
Dan-o clearly stated that he has not tested in almost 3 decades, and that he started training in Modern Arnis in 1980. That would seem to mean that he never tested for Modern Arnis rank, yet he was a 5th, I think, under Remy, and had himself kknighted as an 8th, or was it 9th, a few back. Now he's heading off to a rankmill for a GM knighting. Sorry, all sounds rather shady to me, and I always considered Dan-o a bit classier than all those fake sokes with their ink-jet wall papers. I'm of a more traditional bend, that believes folks earn rank on the floor and work their way up, not by passing a video or cutting a check or kissing fraudbutts. Sorry if that offends anyone, but it's what I believe.

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is great to have your own feelings, but I do believe that passing judgement without first being judged is not coming from a traditional back ground. I think you might need to talk with others that trained under the Professor. I can only speak of the people that came up the ranks the same time as myself to say that we got the rank from the man and deserved the rank he bestowed upon us. Our test where on the mat with the man!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've said the same thing in Kenpo, so I may as well say it here as well....don't impress me with rank, don't impress me with a fancy title, especially if its something made up...instead, impress me with your skill. Speaking for myself only here, but when I look for someone to train with or under, that is what I look for...the skill, how well they can teach the art, how well they understand it, and how well they make it work.

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Quote of GM EP
Three people in this world.
One that talks of doing,one that does and one that talks of ones that do.
We all have a place in this wonderful world of MA. Keeping an opened mind is the most important part. Keep it real and the rest will follow.

Wow that was heavy I need to rest.

Bob Quinn

The Last Legionary

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rank and Titles under Remy are viewed as suspect. Considering that at least 1 of his Datu's held no Modern Arnis rank, and a Senior Master had never tested for his high rank, how many other paper promotions were there? I don't have to train modern arnis to read comments and draw educated conclusions. Dan-o was offered at least 2 opportunities to show his experience and depth of knowledge in front of Modern Arnis organizations (WMAA and MARPPIO), and he turned them both down. Yet he is off seeking a high rank in front of a rank board with questionable experience in Modern Arnis and with a rather suspect reputation. From where I sit, having read several strings here and elsewhere, it doesn't smell too good.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Professor had a unorthadox method of testing his private students.

Well, testing in Modern Arnis was rather unorganized beyond the first level of black belt, and different people might be promoted for different things. Those expecting a regimented, documented, numerically delineated system as with the JMAs will be disappointed by the relaxed Filipino approach! That doesn't mean the ranks aren't appropriate--they just weren't tested the way Japanese high school students are rigourously tested for college. The Prof. could engage you stick-to-stick for just a few passes and place you pretty quickly.

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Rank and Titles under Remy are viewed as suspect. Considering that at least 1 of his Datu's held no Modern Arnis rank, and a Senior Master had never tested for his high rank, how many other paper promotions were there? I don't have to train modern arnis to read comments and draw educated conclusions. Dan-o was offered at least 2 opportunities to show his experience and depth of knowledge in front of Modern Arnis organizations (WMAA and MARPPIO), and he turned them both down. Yet he is off seeking a high rank in front of a rank board with questionable experience in Modern Arnis and with a rather suspect reputation. From where I sit, having read several strings here and elsewhere, it doesn't smell too good.

The first sentence of your post contains rather strong language....."viewed as suspect" ? As Arnisador pointed out, Professor (as we all call him) personally worked with a lot of his students and ranked them accordingly. Let me tell ya, he was brutal and pushed his students like hell. No wonder why he left such a fantastic number of highly skilled students. I had been involved in the martial arts for 15 years before getting into Modern Arnis (all of that in Vee Jiu Jitsu) and let me tell you that a lot of the senior Modern Arnis players are some of the best martial artists I have come across....Kelly Worden, Tim Hartman, Dan Anderson, Chuck Gauss, Ken Smith, Dr. Schea, the senior students in the Philippines, Brian Zawilinski, Roland Rivera, David Ng, Dan McConnell, Lee Lowery and there are lots of names that I did not mention. They are real *** kickers.

As for Dan Anderson, he may have had his reasons for not being able to showcase his knowledge in front of WMAA or MARPPIO, but he did in front of the IMAF at the ArnisFest in 2004 and was well received. I know....I was there.

Take care,
Brian Johns

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The one thing no one can say is that Dan was not open enough to share his plans regarding this matter. He didn't have to do so, he chose to do so.

To me, that in itself deserves some respect.

Also, there is no one clear path to head a system or define a style. Therefore, each person who chooses such a path does so individually. Leadership does not wait around to ask endlessly, what should be done, leaders are decisive in their actions.

We may not agree with a person's perspective or path but someone demonstrating leadership is something to hold with value.

Best of luck again, Dan!

-Harold

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree, Dan and I know the conversation with the Professor on Dan's vision for the professor's work. He has the fax to proof it. Those that know, know!

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dan-o,
I'm bery confused.

1.Earlier in this string you said "1980 is the year I began training." but just now you said "did I forget to say this is the first test I've taken in 28 years?". 2008-28=1980.

2.So, you have never tested for any rank in Modern Arnis? Remy just gave you a rank cert? No wonder so many people look at Arnis as a ****ing joke.

3.Also, what art are you 'testing' to be a grandmaster in? Your karate system? Not your "MA80" style, since you just said you had no tested rank in Arnis. Or are you now teaching Japanese arts to become a "Soke"?

4.For the record, I'm of the "Only a Japanese teacher of a tradtional Japanese art is a legitimate Soke, all others are frauds" school of thought. Too many white wanna-bes buying credibility to fleese the sheeple out there in my not so subtle opinion.

Legionary,

Well, at least you didn't put "Book him, murder one." behind the Dan-o.

1. I see the confusion. I have been in the martial arts for 41 years and have been a black belt since 1970. In karate I have been a regional, national and world champion in competitive sparring. I began Modern Arnis 28 years ago. I was thinking about my last karate test which was in Chicago, Illinois and that was 28 years ago.

Did I run through formal tests with Prof. Remy? Actually, no. Did he and I work enough together privately for him to assess my knowledge? I believe so. Was he sufficiently proficient in the art he founded to assess my skills and knowledge over the years? Again, I believe so. Are you? Hard to say as I don't know your real name so I have no frame of reference regarding your skills and knowledge.

2. See 1 above. As to "so many people think..." Sorry but such a generality is not exact enough. Yes, there are some who think that way and there are many of us who are working to fix that.

3. I am testing to be inducted onto the Grandmasters council under the banner of MA80. MA80 has been recognized in the PI as a legitimate branch of Remy Presas' Modern Arnis. I am not nor have ever been a practitioner of Japanese martial arts so I am not claiming to be a Soke. The organization has that term in its name so there you go.

4. I can understand your viewpoint and really have no problem with it. I am not a Soke nor do I claim to be a Soke. It is a Japanese term with a very definite cultural meaning.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1.Dan-o clearly stated that he has not tested in almost 3 decades, and that he started training in Modern Arnis in 1980. 2.That would seem to mean that he never tested for Modern Arnis rank, yet he was a 5th, I think, under Remy, 3.and had himself kknighted as an 8th, or was it 9th, a few back. Now he's heading off to a rankmill for a GM knighting. 4.Sorry, all sounds rather shady to me, and I always considered Dan-o a bit classier than all those fake sokes with their ink-jet wall papers. I'm of a more traditional bend, that believes folks earn rank on the floor and work their way up, not by passing a video or cutting a check or kissing fraudbutts. Sorry if that offends anyone, but it's what I believe.
Legionary,

1. Taken up previously.
2. My last rating by Prof. Remy was a 6th.
3. 8th is correct. That has been covered in another long series of posts. I don't recall being "knighted." Sir Dan...I like that.
4. Oh, I am still classy. There is missing data here. Two years ago Bram Frank tested for induction onto the board. It was a three hour test and the reports I got were that it was a rugged affair. I expect the same. As to the fake sokes, there are a number of old-time slam 'n' jammers including Gary Dill who sit on the board who would probably bristle at your description of them.

Now, I have been working on the floor for the last 41 years, 28 of them including modern Arnis into my regimen. If I had been only sitting around eating bon-bons, "passing checks to fraudbutts" and producing videos, hell, I'd be awfully embarassed. But I haven't and am not.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1.Rank and Titles under Remy are viewed as suspect. Considering that at least 1 of his Datu's held no Modern Arnis rank, and a Senior Master had never tested for his high rank, how many other paper promotions were there? I don't have to train modern arnis to read comments and draw educated conclusions. 2.Dan-o was offered at least 2 opportunities to show his experience and depth of knowledge in front of Modern Arnis organizations (WMAA and MARPPIO), and he turned them both down. 3.Yet he is off seeking a high rank in front of a rank board with questionable experience in Modern Arnis and with a rather suspect reputation. From where I sit, having read several strings here and elsewhere, it doesn't smell too good.
Legionary,

1. Viewed by whom? Again this is very general and only states your opinion. I can respect your suspicion of my positioning as it is my thread you are participating in but that statement is offensive to other practitioners such as Tim Hartman, Kelly Worden, Randi Shea, Roland Rivera, Doug Pierre and a host of others.

2. Here is where your lack of actual information betrays you. I hve been to the first two WMAA summer camps and was on the floor for both of them, providing ample opportunity for all WMAA people to see my skill sets. We had a great time and Tim and Janice were wonderful hosts. As to MARPPIO, Remy Jr. mentioned to me when I first met him that anyone who had previous rank under his father would be recognized in his organization as an honorary rank until they tested under his organization. Since I had trained personally under and was rannked by his father, I saw no need to be ranked under him. Neither one of us seemed to have taken it personally as we have a cordial communication line between ourselves.

3. You will find as you continue to train in the martial arts that there are many (in Kelly Worden's words) "connecting threads" amongst disciplines. What form of Japanese martial art do you train in? I'm sure you will find that whatever style of that form you train in, there will be other styles with similarities to yours. What I have found is that masters and grandmasters can recognize qualities in others despite differences in respective curriculums. One doesn't need to know Modern Arnis to recognize mastery in it. Did Wally Jay need to know Modern Arnis to see Prof. Remy as legitimate?

If you would humor me could you answer me a few questions? Who are you, what do you train in (or have trained in) who is your instructor (or instructors) and for how long? My data is up for all to see but who are you, sir? And why do you keep calling me "Dan-o?" I don't know you but it sure sounds like you don't like me. Hmmm...

I forgot one thing. Regarding the validity of your questions - they're perfectly fine by me as long as they are actual inquiries or clarifications needed for better understanding. I am taking them in that way for the time being.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Latest Discussions