Modern Arnis...a dead art?

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I dont think its dead at all. But I want to know about where the "workshops" are for this because out of the sticks its my favorite.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont think its dead at all. But I want to know about where the "workshops" are for this because out of the sticks its my favorite.

What area are you in or travel in and we can most likely find you local instructors from teh various organizations out there.

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay thanks, the Philly one looks good. In answer to the first question, since there's people out there teaching Italian 17th century fencing,-- no Arnis is not a dead art. Perspective...

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
IMHO the true measure of a teacher is expressed by the quality of their students. If there is no clearcut inheritor of the style yet it doesn't mean that someone will eventually emerge in the years to come. After all you don't transition from student to master overnight. Perhaps there are one or more people out there that will achieve the necessary understanding to attain that level or even take it to newer heights(they may have already, i'm not real familiar with the people involved). I have been considering taking some Arnis classes in the near future and the fact that the founder has passed will in no way affect my decision. After all if a living founder was a requirement for a style's relevance there wouldn't be many "relevant" arts to be found at all. Change is a part of life and evolution of certain styles is inevitable and as such should not be feared. By all means venerate those that have gone before but always strive to exceed them as you do. Nothing satisfies a teacher more than when your student truly understands and the training truly becomes a part of them(my experience is in massage not MA but the principals are the same).
Scott

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ye gawds Bob, was there really a need to open that particular #10 can of annelids? The people who aren't fans will say "It's dead, and the sooner it gets buried the better." The fans will say "It's not dead as long as the believers carry on the true flam." Almost everyone else will say "Eh?" and go back to what they were doing.

If it turns into mindless worship of Remy Amador Presas and a statement that His Wisdom will endure the ages, therefore any change would detract from the essential perfection of His Vision then yes, the style is as dead as Confucius. If it becomes the basis for good martial artists' development it will still be alive. And as long as that happens it will continue to change until some time down the road where it changes so much that it is no longer Modern Arnis. Then it will be mentioned as an influence on other newer styles. Eventually it will disappear into the past.

Latest Discussions