Mobile VS. Stable Stance

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I generally prefer to stay on my toes and hop all over in a fighting stance. I switch stances and shuffle alot to set up strikes, and I observe the footwork of fighters who apply this sort of stance (E.G. Dominick Cruz). This isn't the case on mats because since my feet sink into the soft mats and strain my calves alot. Any disadvantages/advantages to this sort of stance and why you prefer which?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
why you prefer which?
I prefer to circle around my opponent instead. When my back foot move 1 feet, my front foot move 3 inch. This way, I can always line up my back foot with my opponent's both feet.

The reason that I like to circle around is because I like to force my opponent to turn with me. If he doesn't and let me to move to his "side door", his own leading arm will jam his own back arm, and I only have to deal with one of his arms instead of both of his arms.

circle_running.jpg

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the TKD I studied we were taught to assume stable stances that allowed quick and easy movement in any needed direction.

Pretty much the same in the Hapkido I studied, but with variations depending on the attack encountered and the defensive technique used. However, in the Hapkido I studied there was little movement to the rear.

David Langford

White Belt
Reaction score
I prefer the more rooted stances of southern shaolin. I was skeptical at first about how they could be mobile, however once I began training them dynamically in footwork for a few months I realized how agile they really are. Nearly seven years into training and bouncing about on my toes just feels...clumsy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I fight more upright because i am lazy. But am supposed to squat a bit with a Lower center of gravity.

All of them are mobile.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Static only when striking, and not every time...
I have little success against good opponents when not moving enough. Yet, I am always trying to move the minimum in order to save energy and time, which may seem contradictory. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mobility is important until stability is required. Stances are fleeting, they are but moments in time.

Man, talk about saying it all.

MaMaD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mobility is important until stability is required. Stances are fleeting, they are but moments in time.

which situation require mobility and which require stability? @marques mentioned static only when striking. so, whenever i'am not striking i should use mobility? if yes, what should i do with mobility then?
i mean, i can imagine after i did strike, move a little to avoid opponent strike Or move around for setup a strike but i cant go further then that in my head.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
if your gonna do a stance do a neutral bow stance its a american kenpo karate stance and its toe to heel alightment it has mobility and stability

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
which situation require mobility and which require stability? @marques mentioned static only when striking. so, whenever i'am not striking i should use mobility? if yes, what should i do with mobility then?
i mean, i can imagine after i did strike, move a little to avoid opponent strike Or move around for setup a strike but i cant go further then that in my head.
If you are striking at the point of making contact proper stance otherwise you should be mobile.
If you are in a standing grappling situation at the instant you are holding pressure you will need a proper stance other wise you should be mobile.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My stance reflects who I'm fighting with. I don't move around as much with grapples as I do with someone who likes to bounce around or charge in.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ideas of stable vs mobile also seems a bit off since you have to be stable to properly attack (otherwise no power) and to defend (otherwise you get steamrolled).

That said let's say static vs mobile. With that in mind I dont know any effective fighting method that is "static". All need mobility, the only difference is the appearance of the mobility.

As an example I study both Kali and Wing Chun. Now Kali footwork appears more dynamic but this is because you not only train empty hand but there is A LOT of training against weapons and when facing someone armed with a sword your footwork needs to broaden to keep you out of harm's way. That said, while WC looks relatively static, it isn't, the foot work is simply (in general) "tighter" because you training is more focused on close range. So it looks less dynamic but in reality it is no less mobile. As another said, in WC is can often appear that you are walking in a circle. Your footwork is on angles, so linear, but you are often trying to get to your opponent's "blind side" so you are circling your opponent as you fight. Kali is often similar, but the footwork expands and contracts, especially in the presence of weapons (on either side) as you move between ranges. Because of the expansion it "appears" more mobile. The last bit is most important because the appearance of mobility will often be influenced by the fighting methods of your opponent.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's like when you eat a nice meal. You don't actually think about bringing the fork to your mouth, you just eat. When you fight, you don't think about your stance.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Particularly useful against fast strikers. If I keep moving they keep adjusting the distance and striking with little power (a bit off target/distance) most of the time. Also, a momentaneous voluntary opening envites predictable strikes and produces easy counters. Striking from a dynamic position is harder to defend. Feint becomes a nightmare for your opponent... After a while your opponent gets confused. (If everything goes well. Sometimes I am jabbed walking around too close, stopping that funny things.) There are many reasons and it becomes an habit.
But your question is great: what should I do? If you move without any reason, it may be worst than stand still.
Ps: you can also move while striking, in order to get a better position for the power shot...
Ps2: I said faster, but it may be applied for longer/rangier. You should not stop inside the opponent reach... And you may need to there for a while.

Last edited:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Particularly useful against fast strikers. If I keep moving they keep adjusting the distance and striking with little power (a bit off target/distance) most of the time. Also, a momentaneous voluntary opening envites predictable strikes and produces easy counters. Striking from a dynamic position is harder to defend. Feint becomes a nightmare for your opponent... After a while your opponent gets confused. (If everything goes well. Sometimes I am jabbed walking around too close, stopping that funny things.) There are many reasons and it becomes an habit.
But your question is great: what should I do? If you move without any reason, it may be worst than stand still.
Ps: you can also move while striking, in order to get a better position for the power shot...

I was going to say something similar to your last bit. There are some styles that, with some strikes, purposefully have movement in the strike, similar to a fencer as they thrust, though the footwork is tighter. This can even be used on tangents. Yes a fighter may be moving on an angle to their opponent to try and get to a flank but that angle is not just moving perpendicular to their opponent it is also moving in towards their opponent. So you can have a stable platform while being mobile and even increasing the force of the strike.