MMA would never work in a real fight.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you being Deliberately Provocative to some Gentlemen, Good Sir?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tell you what, I'm going to try to turn this into a real discussion.

Absolutely correct, it wouldn't. Mainly because it isn't designed to. But the same can be said of every single martial art that I can think of, honestly, as each are designed with a particular environment, situation, and aim in mind, with that environment, situation, and aim being particular to the system itself. MMA, for example, trains for the environment of the competitive engagement, the situation of individual competition, and the aim of winning by submission or knockout against a single opponent. None of which is the same as a real fight.

However, and it's a big "however", the training methodology and technical material that go into making up MMA can be adapted, utilised, or executed in a 'real fight' with great success. Fighting exactly as you would in a ring would be ill-advised, for a range of reasons, but the training can be highly effective when used for the aims of defending yourself. Just don't think that a ref will stop anyone else getting involved with the fight.

OP
S

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is actually a good topic for discussion but if I am to contribute it is not in the For but rather the Against.

I do not believe MMA is no good for real fighting, there may be some bad habits that come from training with sports motivation and training techniques which can be exploited but all in all I would say MMA fighters are some of the most dangerous fighters you could face in a real world situation where weapons are not involved.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think all training in Martial Arts has great benefits. MMA with it's scope of grappling, striking and endurance training would certainly be high on the list of arts likely to benefit self defense skills. As would any art whose training included an attention to discipline and Bushido.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think all training in Martial Arts has great benefits. MMA with it's scope of grappling, striking and endurance training would certainly be high on the list of arts likely to benefit self defense skills. As would any art whose training included an attention to discipline and Bushido.
Yes - To Imply that any Style wouldnt work in a Real Fight is perhaps a Fallacy. Some will perhaps be more Applicable than Others, but even the Conditioning would go a long way. Any Stylist who Practitions Contact Sparring will be more used to being Struck than just about anyone else can be, due to the Frequency of it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Chris hit the nail on the head with his 2nd paragraph. Now, and I know some will disagree, which is fine, but I believe that, in addition to what he said, ie: that certain things can be adapted, that if the training is not geared towards a certain goal, the result you're seeking, probably wont happen.

No, IMO, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to kick someone in the groin, or hit someone in the eyes. I'm sure if I spent some time with my wife, a non martial artist, I'm sure I could get her to throw a kick to the groin or finger jab the eyes. But I do feel that training something in a repetitive fashion will allow the person to recall and apply those things more readily than someone who doesnt.

IMO, some of the biggest and most important things that someone trained in MMA will bring to the table is the contact, the aliveness, the resistance, and especially the cardio.

Please dont misunderstand....I'm not implying that someone who trains under Frank Shamrock, will crumble in a fight, but like every art, there are strengths and weaknesses in everything.

As far as whether or not any other art would work...well, IMO, many of the arts were designed for SD/war/fighting purposes, so that said, one would assume that they'd work, though IMO, things should be adapted to todays world. Yeah, I know, everyone still has 2 arms/legs, just like they did hundreds of years ago, however, things have changed, such as application of fighting, body size, athletic ability, etc.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Prior to MMA/BJJ, fights could to the ground. Usually that meant you got kick and stomped on, or someone sat on you and hit you; remember Christmas story? On the ground meant the a great disadvantage to the person on the ground. Well BJJ comes along and says you don't have to lose if you're on the ground. Then MMA evolves and history is made as it defeats BJJ. Reinstating you now have less of a chance on the ground of winning the fight. The other think MMA isn't exclusive. Anyone one can learn MMA. Keep in my that doesn't guarantee you as a winning street or ring fighter. No art does. What really has changed due to MMA it gives you more of a fighting change, and like any fight the winner is based on ability to perform well in the fight. To answer the question, the clothes make the man.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
What makes a fight "real?"
Ive wanted to say this for a while.

Apparently a Real Fight is when a Street Warrior Assaults You, and then you have a Battle, in which there are No Rules, and somehow MUST involve Wrestling at some point :p

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you're not in danger of contracting SARS or the bird/man/pig flu from dirty hypodermics littering the shores of rivers flowing with magma, while fighting gangs of ninja, it's not a real fight.

Anything less, though, and I have to believe that MMA training wouldn't hurt.

Latest Discussions